Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

High wear rate of Mizuno Wave Rider 17

Options
  • 01-07-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Anyone else with Mizuno Wave Rider 17's notice a high rate of wear especially in the heel? I've only put 80KM on them and the heel is already substantially worn. Yes I'm a heel striker but this rate of wear wasn't an issue with the previous 3 pairs of Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,469 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I bought a pair and have probably done about 50k-60k in them at this point.

I havent looked at the sole but will keep an eye out.

This is I think the 8th Wave Rider in a row that I've bought and the first that felt 'different to the others' when I put it on, which I was disappointed with to be honest. I just want the shoe to do the exact same thing that the other shoes had done. The sole does look a bit lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

My 17s wore out fairly quick. After 150 miles parts of the sole had worn away and you could see the second layer of rubber coming through.
    My 16s had very little sign of wear after 400 odd miles.
    When buying my second pair I brought them back to the shop and the chap said that the wear was excessive but had no complaints from others

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭nolinejudge

Jnealon wrote: »
    My 17s wore out fairly quick. After 150 miles parts of the sole had worn away and you could see the second layer of rubber coming through.
    My 16s had very little sign of wear after 400 odd miles.
    When buying my second pair I brought them back to the shop and the chap said that the wear was excessive but had no complaints from others
    I haven't noticed any more or less than normal. To be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

viperlogic wrote: »
    Anyone else with Mizuno Wave Rider 17's notice a high rate of wear especially in the heel? I've only put 80KM on them and the heel is already substantially worn. Yes I'm a heel striker but this rate of wear wasn't an issue with the previous 3 pairs of Mizuno Wave Inspire 9's

Not to be pedantic, have you gone from Inspire (guidance) to Rider (neutral)?

That may affect how you are distributing body weight and pressure on the shoe leading to unusual wear.

Have seen no issues reported with the wear and in general most find they are getting more durability from the U4iC midsole foam than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

AKW wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic, have you gone from Inspire (guidance) to Rider (neutral)?

Yes as now wearing orthotics, even wore orthotics with the Inspires but from reading various articles and even the shoe store said majority wear a neutral shoe with the orthotics and hence have rotated in a pair of Riders now.

AFAIK shoes have the same drop, thou the Riders have a more high heel feeling at first.

On the plus side, they feel lighter and I feel like I want to run faster with them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Haven't noticed any difference in the wear myself so far, would say I have about the same mileage in them also.

250K in them now and they are wearing v fast. Just ordered a pair of Wave Inspire 10's to see if they will have same high wear rate

viperlogic wrote: »
    250K in them now and they are wearing v fast. Just ordered a pair of Wave Inspire 10's to see if they will have same high wear rate

Forgive my ignorance but would you be heavy frame? Not looking to second guess the store but for Mizuno wearers with orthotics I'd generally see you in the Ultima as it's slightly more stable than the Rider and provides a better platform for orthotics.

Where is the wear in particular? Sorry checked post 1 again. Any pic of the heels?

Will post up a pic this evening. I'm 79KG's

Any pic of the heels?

Sorry pics not the best for showing the wear, will try again this eve in natural light

314736.jpeg

314737.jpeg

• Advertisement

Is that really just 80km?! :eek: :eek:

If I was shown those shoes & asked to guess I would have said there was at least 300km on based on the deterioration and creasing of the yellow U4iC foam.

You keep catching me out! Have a reply worded and then read back through the posts :)

Your weight is fine for those.

Re the wear in the X10 rubber that looks like there is a load of scrubbing or scuffing of the heel as you bring the foot to ground. Hard to say if the Inspire will be much different, in fact with a firmer heel & orthotic you may scrub the outside of the shoe more. Interesting one to follow your progress.

Maybe a photo diary? Pic of the shoes each week?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Wave Rider 17s

262km - would be heavy for a runner (12 and a half stone)

No wear on heel and minimal on ball of shoe.

Do suspect though based on feel of the shoe that 400km will be their limit.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

So, my wear rate is still fine, but I'm finding a dead feeling to my 17s after only 100miles or so max.
    I didn't really realise at first, but I was reaching for for 14s, 15s and even lightly used precision 13s and 14s before the newer 17s. Even my 'fashiony' lunarglide that I picked up online on sale are preferable now. Was looking at sale colour ways of the 17 but decided to get a pair of lunarglides 5s instead for slower easy runs.

Might look into the enigma 4 which looks like it might be the closest equivalent to the old rider.

(Also apparently heavy for a runner at 174lbs!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

copacetic wrote: »
    So, my wear rate is still fine, but I'm finding a dead feeling to my 17s after only 100miles or so max.
    I didn't really realise at first, but I was reaching for for 14s, 15s and even lightly used precision 13s and 14s before the newer 17s. Even my 'fashiony' lunarglide that I picked up online on sale are preferable now. Was looking at sale colour ways of the 17 but decided to get a pair of lunarglides 5s instead for slower easy runs.

Might look into the enigma 4 which looks like it might be the closest equivalent to the old rider.

(Also apparently heavy for a runner at 174lbs!)
    I agree , mizuno have fecked up with these somehow , as for the wave prophecy , expensive disasters , like running with a slate tied to your foot , I think they've been abandoned now , I liked Mizuno for the broad fit , time to move on I think

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

I have the very same wear pattern on my 17s. Not sure how long they've been there but have just under 400 mile on them - not sure how it's wearing there as I'm not a heel striker.
    Will probably be looking at going back to the 16s or 15s for my next pair. Anyone got any alternatives to the waverider as wouldn't mind a change

Oops69 wrote: »
    I agree , mizuno have fecked up with these somehow , as for the wave prophecy , expensive disasters , like running with a slate tied to your foot , I think they've been abandoned now , I liked Mizuno for the broad fit , time to move on I think

Interestingly I'd a meeting with Mizuno last week and looking forward to the next season of shoes, seeing the range for 2015 they are taking the Inspire and Rider back to the fit and feel of the 2013 range while retaining the midsole.

They are obviously reading boards ;)

Interesting one to follow your progress.

Maybe a photo diary? Pic of the shoes each week?

Mizuno Wave Inspire 10 new
    317926.jpg
    317927.jpg

Mizuno Wave Inspire 10 200K on them
    317928.jpg
    317929.jpg

I think they are not wearing as fast as the Wave Rider 17's.

Advertisement