Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Senior Football (i.e. Soccer) South Dublin

Options
  • 01-04-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find a Senior football team in South Dublin - Shankill, Dalkey area ideally. There really is little information online.

I'm 27, haven't played 11 aside in a few years but am half-decent. Might anyone point me in the right direction or have contact details (PM if need be) for any suitable teams?

Thanks.

PS. I would post on the soccer forum but apparently I have to wait a month before I'm allowed!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Mousewar wrote: »
    I'm trying to find a Senior football team in South Dublin - Shankill, Dalkey area ideally. There really is little information online.

I'm 27, haven't played 11 aside in a few years but am half-decent. Might anyone point me in the right direction or have contact details (PM if need be) for any suitable teams?

Thanks.

PS. I would post on the soccer forum but apparently I have to wait a month before I'm allowed!!

im probably not the best person to ask being a northsider but i do run a club myself, we have played 2 teams out that way one being shanganagh cliffs in the a.u.l league the other being rsfc (rathmichael shankill fc) in the l.s.l. dont know if thats any good to you but there ye go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

If you look at the main forum for Dublin County South you will see someone else advertising football in UCD :P http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056218273

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Dalkey United on Hyde Road definately used to have a senior side a couple of years back, I have no idea whether they're still going though.

TEK United on that road between Deansgrange Road and the Monkstown Roundabout near the Blue Pool (don't know the actual road name) are another senior team, worth having a look at.

A few team's play in Newtownpark Lands between Newtownpark Ave and Carysfort Ave in Blackrock. One is called Blackrock United and the other Seaview or Seafield I think.

Cabinteely in Kilbogget Park also have a team as far as I know.

Wayside Celtic up in Stepaside have men's teams also while there's Orwell in Rathgar and Dundrum Athletic in Dundrum. Railway Union in Sandymount used to field men's soccer sides as well.

Worth having a look in Bray as well, probably a few out that direction. Greystones also have a few men's sides.

You may have to travel a bit for a team though. South East Dublin isn't really flush with football team's for some reason. Massive support for the game around so I never really understood why it is.

Dalkey United on Hyde Road definately used to have a senior side a couple of years back, I have no idea whether they're still going though.

TEK United on that road between Deansgrange Road and the Monkstown Roundabout near the Blue Pool (don't know the actual road name) are another senior team, worth having a look at.

A few team's play in Newtownpark Lands between Newtownpark Ave and Carysfort Ave in Blackrock. One is called Blackrock United and the other Seaview or Seafield I think.

Cabinteely in Kilbogget Park also have a team as far as I know.

Wayside Celtic up in Stepaside have men's teams also while there's Orwell in Rathgar and Dundrum Athletic in Dundrum. Railway Union in Sandymount used to field men's soccer sides as well.

Worth having a look in Bray as well, probably a few out that direction. Greystones also have a few men's sides.

You may have to travel a bit for a team though. South East Dublin isn't really flush with football team's for some reason. Massive support for the game around so I never really understood why it is.

rugby country

rugby country

That's the common view from outsiders but if you live there rugby really isn't as popular as made out. It's confined to the private rugby schools mostly and even within those there's a lot who prefer football or gaelic. It's a strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Joe's Glasthule, Wayside Celtic and Loughlinstown have senior teams

rugby country

Its not really. There are a small handful of Rugby teams out here and feck all GAA teams. There are loads of football clubs but they dont seem to go up to Senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Thanks for the replies - appreciate it. Will do some research on those mentioned now and see where i get

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Farm United have a senior team in Monkstown, I can PM you the managers phone no if you like.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

man i used to be a dalkey player underage levels and now am old enough for seniors so me and the guys want to get senior team going again. would you be interested in playing? give me a pm.

p.s southsiders like rugby and football and gaa and other sports dont generalise. i love rugby and football but prefer football.

partyndbs wrote: »
    man i used to be a dalkey player underage levels and now am old enough for seniors so me and the guys want to get senior team going again. would you be interested in playing? give me a pm.

p.s southsiders like rugby and football and gaa and other sports dont generalise. i love rugby and football but prefer football.

i didnt mean that as anything offensive i just find the majority of people from that geographical location are more likely to support rugby over football.

• Advertisement

i dunno go to any public school and a good few private schools and football will be more preferred. they might play rugby but i think your more likely to find theyll watch a champions league game over a heineken cup game

i dunno go to any public school and a good few private schools and football will be more preferred. they might play rugby but i think your more likely to find theyll watch a champions league game over a heineken cup game

ok i guess ill have to take your word for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I would be very surprised if they played rugby and watched a champs league match over a Leinster Hec game. Anyway they never clash as the football is on midweek and the HEC games are on at w/ends.

ye but not comparing like with like. leinster are irish. if toulon played stade francais and real played barca over the weekend way more people would be talking about the barca game on the monday. if ur a southsider and like rugby u by default just support leinster in heino cup. i cudnt be bothered about them in magners.

and its only last few years stuff like cantos and all became popular, i remember the odd leinster jersey when i was in first year but now leinster merch is so common. like who doesnt own leinster cantos?

ye but not comparing like with like. leinster are irish. if toulon played stade francais and real played barca over the weekend way more people would be talking about the barca game on the monday. if ur a southsider and like rugby u by default just support leinster in heino cup. i cudnt be bothered about them in magners.

and its only last few years stuff like cantos and all became popular, i remember the odd leinster jersey when i was in first year but now leinster merch is so common. like who doesnt own leinster cantos?

'heino' your stereotyping yourself there lol..... and whats cantos??

ehh, WTF is Leinster Cantos ??

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

uch wrote: »
    ehh, WTF is Leinster Cantos ??

The gay rugby tracksuit bottems lol. anyway op the clubs I know are tek in deansgrage, cabinteely seniors, joeys ghlausthule and farm utd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Seniors football people, not Rugby!

You could try Joeys in the Noggin too, www.joeys.ie

Canterbury went bust in 2009......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Well if you want to make a similar comparison why not talk about how would be talking about a League of Ireland Soccer match and an Interprovincial game that were on the same w/end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, give these boys a shout.
    http://www.ucfl.ie/clubs/division-3a/wfc/

They play just at Cherrywood there on the N11, played against them last year and are decent lads and would probably have signed for them this year but joined a friends team.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

Hey sorry for the late bump/hijacking the thread but there seems to be a good few people clued in on here.

I'd like to join an 11-a-side team if possible - I'd be a decent enough player but I've never played in a team before (not including the occasional match amongst friends since they don't really count) so I'm wondering if its too late to start learning? Would anyone take me on or am I wasting my time at this stage (I'm 21)? I'd be going into final year next year as well so I'd be wary of it taking up too much time. What's the average time for training/matches per week? Something like 2 training sessions and a match at the weekend?

I don't expect to join a team and play straight away, I'd be more than happy to just train with one for a few months to get back into the swing of things but I would want to have a chance of playing the occasional match (i.e. I don't mind being a backup player)

Thanks in advance (sorry about the length) :)

Oh and feel free to PM me with anything helpful :)

Hey sorry for the late bump/hijacking the thread but there seems to be a good few people clued in on here.

I'd like to join an 11-a-side team if possible - I'd be a decent enough player but I've never played in a team before (not including the occasional match amongst friends since they don't really count) so I'm wondering if its too late to start learning? Would anyone take me on or am I wasting my time at this stage (I'm 21)? I'd be going into final year next year as well so I'd be wary of it taking up too much time. What's the average time for training/matches per week? Something like 2 training sessions and a match at the weekend?

I don't expect to join a team and play straight away, I'd be more than happy to just train with one for a few months to get back into the swing of things but I would want to have a chance of playing the occasional match (i.e. I don't mind being a backup player)

im assuming your on the southside so i probably cant really help you with that bit but as regards time yes the norm is usually two training sessions a week and match the weekend. and no 21 is certainly not a problem look up a few teams around your area or wherever suits and even head down and have a look at their training sessions im sure most coaches wont mind you looking in if you are a potential recruit, i know i certainly dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Spuddy91

I recently started training with Sallynoggin Pearse, used to be called Sallynoggin Celtic. We have a squad of around 15 and need another 3 players. We play in Sunday Premier 1 and if we get a few more decent players we will have a great chance for promotion.

We train for an hour and a bit on Tuesday (fitness) and Thursday (football) and have matches on Sunday. We are playing in the Paddy Power Cup on the 17th July.

We train on the slanty pitch straight up from Joey's where the little tin changing rooms are. PM me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Did anybody else read that post in their heads with a d4 accent? Loike!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Scholsey

Mousewar wrote: »

Thanks.

im probably not the best person to ask being a northsider but i do run a club myself, we have played 2 teams out that way one being shanganagh cliffs in the a.u.l league the other being rsfc (rathmichael shankill fc) in the l.s.l. dont know if thats any good to you but there ye go

Hi, my name is Andy and was wondering about any men's teams in the castleknock/Cabra/Blanchardstown sort of region? I'm 20 and Would love to play 11-a-side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Scholsey

im assuming your on the southside so i probably cant really help you with that bit but as regards time yes the norm is usually two training sessions a week and match the weekend. and no 21 is certainly not a problem look up a few teams around your area or wherever suits and even head down and have a look at their training sessions im sure most coaches wont mind you looking in if you are a potential recruit, i know i certainly dont.

Do you guys know of any senior teams looking to recruit on the north side?

Scholsey wrote: »
    Do you guys know of any senior teams looking to recruit on the north side?

Try the Northside forum

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I'm also interested in looking for a football team on the Southside when I finish Uni. this Summer.

I used to go watch TEK United almost every weekend when I was a kid, I don't suppose they'll take me on? :P

I'm trying to get fit again after nearly a decade without playing football (24 now). Hopefully there are some teams that will take anybody on and like some have said in this thread that they don't mind just training to get their fitness up.

So, any clubs around the Dublin 18/16 area or anything up to a 30 minutes car journey away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Did you actually read any of the thread :confused:

Sallynoggin based team, 15 minute drive from Dublin 18 - here- Post 25

Another Sallynoggin based team - here- Post 19

Cheerywood based team, 10 minutes from Dublin 18 - here- Post 22

Advertisement