Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Underground' Software.

• 16-08-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Not warez or anything like it.

This is an old post from a blog I follow:
    All your friends use Skype, but you've found an application much better than Skype. You ask you coworkers why they still use Windows Explorer to go to a specific folder. Nobody wants to listen when you say that the Start Menu is useless or that you spend most of your time using the command-line.

If you use a software with little or no awareness and you're proud of that, tell the world about it. Don't forget to mention why you think it's special. It doesn't have to be a Windows software, but it would be nice if it were free.

So here's my 'underground' software.

1. Google Docs. By no means a replacement for Office in terms of functionality, it's dead handy for college. No annoying computer-shuffling to use the printers on campus, version incompatibilities, etc.

2. Total Commander. Infinitely better than Windows Explorer.

Tips welcome. Help out your fellow boardsies with some useful stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't chance any new software, a lot of those system 32 viruses around...waaayyyyy to risky..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I assume you mean little known software.

Thunderbird is an awesome email client.
    Driver max for when you're looking for drivers for a computer.
    C cleaner is cool too.
    LCISO ripper is a very light iso ripper and has always worked flawlessly for me. Handy for people with netbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Filehippo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Filehippo.com

Just looked at that. My God that is useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

The software I use day to day (apart from Firefox):

Quassel for IRC.
    Kopete as my MSN client.
    KMail for email (a lot handier than going and logging in to GMail to check, never got why email clients in general aren't more popular).
    Akregator for news feeds.
    Amarok as music player.
    Dolphin as file manager.
    Dragon Player for videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Heres a few I use..

Secunia PSI to keep my programs up to date with the latest patches.
    Prish image resizer for a handy right click image resize option for Vista, useful for uploading photos.
    JdiskReport for a graphical view of whats taking up space on my megre 80Gb hard disk.
    Offline Password recovery tool for when the local admin PW is unknown.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Diver79 wrote: »
    Offline Password recovery tool for when the local admin PW is unknown.

That's saved my ass a couple of times.

Advertisement