Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Anime & Manga? Just looking for some recommendations? Search no further!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nisk

So I've been running thin on things to watch, I've watched a ton of anime and read just as much manga - enough to be highly critical and equally skeptical and cynic about checking out new series, there are so few which are good/non-repetitive. It must have good animation by default, but with me it's also all about the story and the ending.

Here's a small list of the ones I've seen and somewhat liked:
    NGE (anime started the obsession, manga keeps it alive)
    Death Note (it was good)
    Code Geass (this had the best ending so far - made up for all the parts I hated)
    bleach (epic themes and moments....but man it just drags on and on, no ending in sight, again.)
    naruto (again, the ending could be good - if it's dark and bloody, hopefully I will get to witness it in my lifetime...yeah that's a form of criticism)
    Requiem For A Phantom (that was just really good)
    5cm Per Second (a really fine anime, perfect even)
    Black Lagoon (I loved how it slipped in some really heavy themes)
    Tsukihime (this one was a bit too mild, but decent enough)
    Claymore (anime only - it had a decent enough ending, manga got lame quickly)
    The Sky Crawlers (really, really good)*EDIT*

This should give you an idea of my tastes - so help you "whatever deity you worship" if you suggest me some cartoon like Yu-gi-oh. I'm not big on comedy in anime either. A lot of the times when anime deal with conflicts or heroics - it really ends up looking lame, which can be overlooked, provided there's something like themes or the main storyline to compensate for that.

I'm hoping someone will be able to suggest me something good to watch, likewise, I hope you found something on this list you haven't seen before! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

So, it seems like you like Shonen stuff!

You'll probably love:
    Hellsing Ultimate
    Cowboy bebop
    Samurai Champloo
    Berserk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I don't really like recommending this, because it's a common recommendation, but Elfen Lied seems like it's right up your alleyway. It's gorey, dark and they had to cut out the background story of one of the characters when it was shown on TV over here because tbh, it's kind of f*cked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joefizzz

i like to thank ye,all for all the recomondations
    suprised no one mentioned the brilliant Ninja Scroll
    a must see
    great thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Anxiety

Ty to the people who posted ./hack and eureka 7 i really liked those :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

Just a few i recommend
    Ergo Proxy is my fav by far, the story and artwork is amazing :D
    Shigurui is good, very violent so be warned ;)
    Kurozuka has some amazing art work, bit violent as well
    Mushishi, haven't watched all of this amazing story yet... but i know its gonna please
    Ga-Rei: Zero, this is pretty desent too

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

I don't suppose anyone could recommend anything fight-y/magic-y/supernatural-y (:P) along the lines of Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist or Hellsing? I've gotten quite bored since finishing those two and have no idea of what similar animes exist :o

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

Robby91 wrote: »
    I don't suppose anyone could recommend anything fight-y/magic-y/supernatural-y (:P) along the lines of Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist or Hellsing? I've gotten quite bored since finishing those two and have no idea of what similar animes exist :o

Yea ya probably like Toaru Majutsu no Index and Ga-Rei: Zero if ya like action, naruto maybe as well

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

anything fight-y/magic-y/supernatural-y

hmmm....... Claymore springs to mind, nothing like a chick with a big sword

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Berserk would be another good one, or Basilisk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kataro28

Loving all the recommendations, recently started watching Bleach and I'm impressed thus far, though I'm only on episode 60 or so. The pace of the show seems a little slow for my tastes. Is there any anime you could recommend thats slightly faster paced?
    As I'm pretty new to anime in general I'm finding it hard to put different kinds of anime into genres. I mean what category would Deathnote fall into? I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere (probably from lurking here :P) that Code Geass is similar to it.
    Also I haven't read any manga, but I'm open to suggestions :)
    Arigato!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kataro28 wrote: »
    I mean what category would Deathnote fall into? I'm pretty sure I've heard somewhere (probably from lurking here :P) that Code Geass is similar to it.

They're similar in so much as there's usually some sort of cat and mouse game going on in both of them, but I wouldn't really group them together... They're both worth watching, but are both fairly different shows...
    If you want a show that moves along at a sensible pace, steer clear of anything that doesn't have an ending episode in sight like Naruto or Bleach! They have entire series of filler ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Death Note is by far the best anime of all time. Absolutely fantastic from all aspects.
    One Piece is a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Anyone got any recommendations for a follow on from NGE? Ideally focused on the character development with Mecha as a nice added bonus but not necessary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rahxephon
    rahxephon
    rahxephon

No a fan of Rahxephon, but it IS very similar to NGE.

Character development, possibly including mecha...
    I'm gonna go and suggest an oldie:
    Crest of the Stars -> Banner of the stars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I have very strange tastes in anime :p

I like a school setting, someone adapting to a new situation, tragic events , something along those lines :pac:

Clannad!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kvothe

well i watch animes now about 10 years and i really love all of them. there are really good recommandations here. i watched all of them and i also can say there are some more to watch. Gantz for example is for the more mature ones. also if you are more into comedy dont miss out school rumble or excel saga. also very nice is law of ueki and since mentioned ghibli movies are good too. especially nausicaea, howls moving castle, princess mononoke and tales of earthsea... recently i am watching beelzebub. its a new anime series from japan and i just love it. hope that animes will help you out more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

I really think Great Teacher Onizuka should be on this list, I am disgusted nobody has recommended it! Absolutely hilarious, very light-hearted while being an emotional roller-coaster at the same time, dealing with many social problems. And Onizuka is probably one of the most ridiculous anime characters ever created. I mean just look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Kvothe

oh yes true i dont know how i could miss to mention great teacher onizuka. i have the whole anime and manga in my shelf. it is a really good one and a few years ago onizuka was kind of a role model for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jazzme

GTO is one of the best

my all-time favorites

Chobits
    Gundam Wing
    Black Heaven (Oji the Section Chief)
    Fame of Recca
    Rourounin Kenshin
    Magic Knight Reyearth
    Ranma (cant stop laughing on this one)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭OniKen

.Death note is amazing, its a detective/ Supernatural thriller.
    Monster is great too, same style but alot more real, no supernaturalness.
    .If your looking for fun/ action the Soul Eater is great (Animation is exelant too)
    Avatar isn't really anime but its so much fun to watch.
    .Giant robots? Gundam Wing... Fantesy Giant robots, Escaflowne... Fun Giant robots then Full metal panic or Dai guard.
    .Martial ast, Definatly the street fighter 2 animated movie, Baki the grappler... Hajime no ippo if your a boxing fan Oh and Tengen Tenjo (Best intro ever).
    Other than those, dot.Hack//Sign, Nana, GTO, Generator Gawl, Ghost in the shell, Naruto (Takes a bit to get into but good if you stick with it).... ill think of more later

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StephenP023

Got into AIR GEAR a little while ago. It's awesome also if you watch it check out the OVA after you watch it.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I watched 5 Centimetres Per Secondrecently... Anyone have any recommndations of anything similar (I've watched Voices from a Distant Star and The Place Promised already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

If one was to watch a Gundam Series, which one should they start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 achynes

Any recommendations on manga where the storyline was set from the start? I know that's a pretty specific criterion but all I know is FMA and Death Note blew Bleach and Naruto out of the water for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Craguls wrote: »
    If one was to watch a Gundam Series, which one should they start with?

I'd go for Gundam Wing. It's probably my favourite series of all of them. Seed and Seed Destiny arent too bad etheir.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

marko93 wrote: »
    I'd go for Gundam Wing. It's probably my favourite series of all of them. Seed and Seed Destiny arent too bad etheir.
    I'm sorry, but you've just listed all of the TERRIBLE Gundam series.
    Seed Destiny? REALLY?

*sigh*

Turn A Gundam, 08th MS Team, Zeta/ZZ, Char's Counterattack for oldies.
    Gundam 00 or Unicorn for newbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Just to head off any heated Gundam debates - recommendations made, you can argue the points in a separate thread ;)

Advertisement