Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aaargh! I was crocheting some little cardigans and after I finished the first, one of my fingers was feeling irritated and I dealt with it by moving my finger closer to the hook. Then I continued on and did two more cardigans. I just looked at the three of them together last night and was left nearly in tears. Moving my finger placement somehow completely and utterly changed the size of my stitches and now I have one big cardigan and two tiny ones. Hopefully, what I have is two newborn cardigans and a 3-6 month sized one. But I fear I have one newborn cardi and two only fit for dolls. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

If they're very tiny, they might suit preemies and you could maybe donate to your local hospital?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ln an amazing coincidence one of the babies I was making them for was just born quite a bit ahead of schedule and will, I'm sure, be in need of a teeny cardi.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ElizaK

Hello,

Would be grateful for any advice...

Is there any where online that I could buy knitting wool, reasonably priced? I'm looking for Cascade Yarn and it seems to working out quite expensive in my local shop. I'm just a beginner and was wondering if there was any particular place that seasoned knitters buy their wool?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For brand names, no there isn't really a cheaper way to buy, you might get 20%of now and then but that's it. There a 'wool for sale' group on Facebook that's good.

Is there any reason why you want that yarn? Is it for a pattern? If so you can replace the yarn with any yarn as long as you achieve tension.

Say if I was choosing a sweater in size 14 in 600g of 100% wool, my options are:

My local shop, 12 balls of Rico wool @ 49 euro.

A 800g cone of 100% will from Bedford on ebay at 36 euro.

2x 400g packs of wool from yarn paradise, total 30 euro.

It's up to me to then make sure that the yarn I use will suit the pattern.

Of you post your pattern details, I can cost it for you.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I would think about a mohair type yarn that knits up quickly on large needles, that way you make progress at a good rate and end up with something quite glamorous for the winter. If you knit it in some kind of a rib stitch it would be reversible rather than having a right and wrong side and would look really nice without much finishing to be done. Just a thought but they can look really nice. The main thing is to have fun and see results, you'll enjoy it more and be keen to do something more challenging after that. Good luck, whatever you decide to make!

Meant to say that if you find a pattern you like, it will give you the needle size, etc. Perhaps do some "window shopping" on google first, see if a pattern jumps out at you and take it from there.

P.S. http://www.knittingbrain.com/lace-pattern.php
    Here's a link to a pretty pattern (and it's free!), you could use a slightly bigger needle than the 5mm specified, for an even softer scarf. Anyway, I hope it all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ElizaK

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    For brand names, no there isn't really a cheaper way to buy, you might get 20%of now and then but that's it. There a 'wool for sale' group on Facebook that's good.

Is there any reason why you want that yarn? Is it for a pattern? If so you can replace the yarn with any yarn as long as you achieve tension.

Thank you so much for your advice. The wool is for a baby blanket I'm knitting. I bought a pattern book and it specified Cascade yarn wool. Had a chat with the lady in our local shop and went for a less expensive type of wool.

Thanks again for your help.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi Knitters, your mods kindly permitted me to post this here.

Myself and some boardsie friends who knit/crochet are planning to contribute to Woolly Hugs, a UK organisation that provide charity knitted items to various people in need. The campaign we plan to contribute to is the current refugee crisis for Syrians - the details are below.
    http://beta.woollyhugs.com/index.php...eed-your-help/

We can get woolly warmth to families in refugee camps in Kurdistan, thanks to the amazing charity Knit for Peace. There are 1.8 million refugees trapped there, most have fled civil wars and ISIS in Syria and Iraq. Winter is coming, it will be even more desperate and absolutely freezing. We are also developing links to get resources to children and families elsewhere, and on their arrival in the UK. We just want to help keep folk warm. We know we can’t help everyone, but we can some.

We really need your help, here’s how…

* We need 12 inch, or six inch squares. Knit or crochet both equally welcome.
    * Yarn to be used - any good quality acrylic DK, for example Stylecraft special DK
    * Any colour, any style, it is all good.
    * Squares equally welcome if made by beginner or expert. Truly.
    * No one think their's wouldn’t be good enough. They will be.
    * We'd love to receive whole blankets, but absolutely understand time constraints.
    * We’d also love to receive hats and gloves/mittens for any age, baby sized through to adult, the same for jumpers. But appreciate that is a very big ask.
    * If you’d like to donate yarn or funds, let us know - we’d absolutely LOVE to hear from you, we need you too. This will be a real team effort
    * If anyone would like to join in crafting but can’t afford to, please PM us, we can help.

One square, one blanket, a pair of gloves, one warm hat, one step at a time, really every little thing will help. Together we can make a difference.

Sadly we cannot accept items other than home made woolly ones at the moment, if this changes we will come back.

If any of you would like to join us in our project, then please pm me.

• Advertisement

Yep, well worth talking to the people in knit shops, a wealth of information. Anyone with a knit addiction will know all the short cuts as you would be broke otherwise!

@ Sashafierce.

If you can source 'bit fab' and a set of 10mm needles, you will have a snood very quickly. The pattern (knit a bit rectangle and sew the ends together!) is on the back of the ball band.

http://www.purplelindacrafts.co.uk/patons-fab-big-colour-094-tropic-color-13861-p.asp

the snood is pictured above on the ball band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I have 3 little cousins (6mths,5mths and 16mths) and I want to knit them all a Christmas jumper. Was wondering if anyone here has a nice pattern of a simple jumper I,e just a christmass tree. Not great with designs so don't want to be swapping colours too much. All help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭Gormal

I have yarn that is 75% wool but superwash. Never used before, so my question is does it stretch? As it has knitted up a bit small, but is quite stretchy. I was planning to block it to the right size, but wondering how it washes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It's gone a bit quiet here so I hope someone can help me. Is Lion Brand Homespun Wool available in Ireland. I have Googled a few Irish shops but it's not on their lists. Maybe I might get it at the RDS next month? Also if necessary, what could I substitute for it? It is 98% Acrylic and 2% Polyester.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I'm not aware of anywhere in Ireland that has it but you can get it from the UK http://www.deramores.com/lion-brand-homespun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

mmg0305 wrote: »
    I'm not aware of anywhere in Ireland that has it but you can get it from the UK http://www.deramores.com/lion-brand-homespun

Thank you. Haven't come across them before. Checking it out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I have a black woolen jumper (Doogan, Donegal) that has a small tear in the front.
    Is there anywhere in Dublin (southside) where I can get it darned?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    It's gone a bit quiet here so I hope someone can help me. Is Lion Brand Homespun Wool available in Ireland. I have Googled a few Irish shops but it's not on their lists. Maybe I might get it at the RDS next month? Also if necessary, what could I substitute for it? It is 98% Acrylic and 2% Polyester.

I'm not sure, I'd say you could pick it up on raverly de-stash alright. I have seen some items made from the varigated version, it seems to be just a chunky aran. Its splits easily as its roving with a poly thread holding it together. I think it around 14x20 tension so any yarn that knits good and close on 6mm needles should suit the pattern. Try stylecraft chunky.

http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/lion-brand-homespun

diomed wrote: »
    I have a black woolen jumper (Doogan, Donegal) that has a small tear in the front.
    Is there anywhere in Dublin (southside) where I can get it darned?

I have never heard of a darning service on offer but if there's a decent yarn shop anywhere near you, they might be able to suggest something for you. Failing that, there are a lot of youtube clips showing how to make different knitwear repairs, if you're not a knitter then it's double-dutch to you but maybe you know a knitter who might watch a few (Carol Brunnette is good to learn from) and then take it on for you. A lot depends on how big the tear is, what kind of pattern the sweater has been knit in, that kind of thing. I've done a lot of darning in my time but mostly for myself and I would not be as skilled as others but I'm sure there's a solution for you, one way or another. If you have no luck at all, maybe PM me and I could take a look at it for you. I hope this is some help, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 katie1212

Im recovering from an illness and cant go out. Just wondering if anyone has oldd balls of wool they would like to get rid of. At least i can knit and be doing something constructive. I would appreciate it. Katie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 conandoyle

Hi
    I was really hoping some one could help with this question. I am looking for a knitting group in Cork city. I was a given a few names and events by people but they all seem to be either disbanded or relocated. I basically looking for a bit of knittting and and natter. Any one out there that could help it's very much appreciated.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

conandoyle wrote:
    Hi I was really hoping some one could help with this question. I am looking for a knitting group in Cork city. I was a given a few names and events by people but they all seem to be either disbanded or relocated. I basically looking for a bit of knittting and and natter. Any one out there that could help it's very much appreciated.

They used to do one in vibes and scribes over at the bottom of Patrick's hill, not sure if still in operation though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 conandoyle

shaunac93 wrote: »
    They used to do one in vibes and scribes over at the bottom of Patrick's hill, not sure if still in operation though!

That's great will give a shout as I'm in cork today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Hey, just lookin for some advice. I'm not a knitter but my mam is. Where in Dublin could I pick up a nice Yarn Bowl or some knitting accessories? An online option is okay aswell.

Thanks

I honestly don't know where in Dublin they can be found but there's quite a selection available on www.etsy.com/ie.

I honestly don't know where in Dublin they can be found but there's quite a selection available on www.etsy.com/ie.

I don't know where they might be available in Dublin but there's quite a selection available on www.etsy.com/ie.

Have a look on www.etsy.com/ie. I saw quite a selection there online.

So sorry for all the posts! I couldn't complete my replies and thought it was my flaming broadband again so I kept on trying. AAARRGHHHH!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

It was etsy that gave me the idea but it seems to be too late to order from most of them as it takes 3-4 weeks until shipping. was hoping there may be another alternative. Is anybody familiar with http://www.thisisknit.ie/? They have a shop in Dublin City. Might take a look in there.

Advertisement