Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Size Gas Bottles.

• 18-08-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

While on holiers last month our 5kg bottle of gas ran out in Redcross in Wicklow. Luckily for us the shop across the road had some in stock so no trouble there. But afterwards I got thinking that a list should be drawn up of any shops/garages that usually have the small bottles in stock as I know they are few and far between. Maybe we could find a few for each county? I don't know of any around where I live (south galway). You have to order them in but they come in once a month so you wouldn't want to be relying on them.

So if the mods don't mind I'll start the list:

1. Wicklow, Redcross, Shop across from Campsite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Churchtown Stores Dublin 14

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

Ger Walter Fuels, Watch house Cross, Limerick

http://www.onthemap.ie/L-HH-0002

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

I have purchased in past in:

Esso Carrick-on-Shannon.
    Charles Camping in Blessington, Co. Wicklow.

Not many petrol stations stock them it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

The Calor Kosangas depot in Whitegate in Cork will fill any size or type of bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I pick up small bottles sometimes when at the dump sorry amenity centre 'cos it really annoys me to pay a "deposit" on the cylinder which you never get back! By the way Calor and FloGas/Ergas distributors should accept any size bottle in exchange for any other size so if ya want a small, filled bottle you can give them an empty domestic sized empty and not pay that deposit. Might not work with smaller retail places though.

Munster Bottled Gas Distributors Ltd, Dromkeen, Innishannon, Co. Cork Phone: (021) 4775541 will fill any size bottles (officially they are FloGas (Tervas??) distributors) and sell them too. Helpful people - though they are not always there so call first. (over the bridge, straight up the hill through the woods, on left)

The guys at BBQ/Gas Centre on Forge Hill, Cork will fill bottles too, even oddball German or other ones - though one friend's system was damaged when (he says) they filled a bottle to double correct capacity/pressure.

Wonder when we will see the lightweight bottles here? Or BP - now that would be good to have a common bottle available all over Europe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

I usually keep an eye out for the half size bottles at the dump too. But i got a spare from my folks but there's nowhere handy around here to get them filled. Might take it to Limerick some day if i'm going that direction.

Thanks for all your help. These places will come in handy when we're on our travels in our little van.

List so far:

2. Churchtown Stores Dublin 14
    3. Ger Walter Fuels, Watch house Cross, Limerick
    4. Esso Carrick-on-Shannon.
    5. Charles Camping in Blessington, Co. Wicklow
    6. Calor Kosangas depot in Whitegate in Cork
    7. Munster Bottled Gas Distributors Ltd, Dromkeen, Innishannon, Co. Cork
    8. BBQ/Gas Centre on Forge Hill, Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

List so far:

2. Churchtown Stores Dublin 14
    3. Ger Walter Fuels, Watch house Cross, Limerick
    4. Esso Carrick-on-Shannon.
    5. Charles Camping in Blessington, Co. Wicklow
    6. Calor Kosangas depot in Whitegate in Cork
    7. Munster Bottled Gas Distributors Ltd, Dromkeen, Innishannon, Co. Cork
    8. BBQ/Gas Centre on Forge Hill, Cork
    9. Johnson's Caravans Letterkenny,Co.Donegal http://www.johnstonscaravans.ie/

Found a VERY useful place in Waterford:
    Dunphy's on the Cork Road, near and opposite the Land Registry. In fact technically it might be the Tramore Road - it's where the roads diverge.

Small grocery - blink and you'll miss it - but they carry gas in full and half size bottles, and they have Propane full-size for screw-in AND clip-on ("normal") type regulators - and a very knowledgeable woman who knew exactly what I was talking about (whereas Woodies, the local filling stations and B&Q hadn't a clue). Seem to be open early to quite late. They have groceries too! (and maybe a post office??)

GPS reference: N 52.2518, W 7.11706

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

they're normally quite expensive compared to the full size bottle aren't they?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    they're normally quite expensive compared to the full size bottle aren't they?

less than 25 euross in Churchtown Stores in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Crikey... a full size is only around 30.

But a full size bottle is twice the weight of gas - at €28-€29 (which is over twice what it costs in France!)

If anybody in Cork needs an empty half sized bottle drop me a PM - I have a couple to spare.

Am heading down soon to Innishannon to get my collection of full and half sized bottles filled (with Propane) for van, BBQ and patio-heater - will let you know what it costs.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Crikey... a full size is only around 30.

In fair ness to them I don't know the correct price think it's about 22, plus they are very good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭salamander27

We recently got 2 1/2 bottles from Ger Walter in Limerick. I think they were about 20 euro each. But calor have changed there design of bottle so that they are a few inches taller and now only just fit into the press in our van, luckily!
    The flo-gas empty I found, was way too tall but he took it and gave me a calor one.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Harbour Stores in Bray (right down in the harbour) are another place for all sizes and types of gas bottles & cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

They Stock them in Navan
    Navan Fuel and Coal
    Cost 33 for the bottle and 17-18 for a refill

Outrageous price for an empty bottle though (€15 I presume).
    They often turn up at the dump (they will be in a cage or secure area).

At one shop I was told they would take a large empty as swap for a small one - (now those are easy to find) - at another they did not want to know.

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Outrageous price for an empty bottle though (€15 I presume).
    They often turn up at the dump (they will be in a cage or secure area).

At one shop I was told they would take a large empty as swap for a small one - (now those are easy to find) - at another they did not want to know.

Was up at Ballyrogan near Carringmines today getting rid of some old electrical stuff - picked up a 2.75 kg Camping gaz almost full weighs 4.2kg, bit of light surface rust on it but it's fine I've seen wourse. They had the 11 kg yellow bottles and a small NI blue one, some guy was dumping a small gey pattio heater one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jolly Days

Also available at the camping shop at Wolohans Silver Strand Caravan Park @ Silver Strand near Wicklow Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Jolly Days wrote: »
    Also available at the camping shop at Wolohans Silver Strand Caravan Park @ Silver Strand near Wicklow Town

Spent my childhood on that beach. Can't believe I'm actually interested in where to get gas bottles after that stint. Good to know though. Do they still allow tents and campers in the second field?

• Advertisement

In fair ness to them I don't know the correct price think it's about 22, plus they are very good to deal with.

Was in Churchtown stores and checked the price it's 18 euros.

I'll have to take Munster Bottled Gas in Inishannon off my personal recommended list - they charged me €1 more on each bottle than my local shop for a Full bottle of Propane and small bottle of Butane ! They do have small click-on bottles of butane, and large bottles of Butane and Propane, and can refill standard bottles with Propane, but they have switched to a "computerised" system which sets the weight and so cannot accommodate foreign or odd-ball bottles any more.
    The guys up on Forge Hill (BarBQue Centre) tell me they can handle and refill anything - haven't used them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Was in Churchtown stores and checked the price it's 18 euros.

i need a refill now is their anywhere in north Dublin where they can be got or failing what is the address of the store in churchtown

i need a refill now is their anywhere in north Dublin where they can be got or failing what is the address of the store in churchtown

It's in Church town D14 next to a Kia Gurage along by a load of shops including Supervalue and the churchtown driving test centre.

http://www.build.ie/company_479801.htm

Take the M50 come off at exit 13.

Take the first exit off the round about for Rathfarmnum

then the second tight (near Lidl)

keep going down hill, you should pass nutgrove shoping centre.

Go stright trough the next set of lights

keep going till you hit the end of the road at a cross roads, take a right and drive 500 meteres they should be on your left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Nolans' hardware in Clontarf Dublin have half size bottles. €33.5 for 5kg gas bottle and €20 for re-fill total €53.5 to buy new full bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

turned out mine is a 6kg propane the screw in type which is a different fish altogether it can be got here for £13 http://www.build.co.uk/company_277681.htm ,sure ill make a weekend out of the spin over to get it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Got one in Kilcock Esso station beside the cop shop recently €17 just for a reserve as the larger 11kg one is more economical at €26.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

What sort of gas would this be? We have a 4.5k blue Calor Gas in our van and found this hard to find whilst over in Cork/Kerry/Clare from Cornwall,tho have been told it's available further North. We also have a 2.72 k Camping Gaz cylinder if necessary but don't know how easy this is either!
    Somewhere on this forum there's a thread about different gases available in Ireland but have tried searching for it with no luck (and even less expertise!)

norma.h wrote: »
    What sort of gas would this be? We have a 4.5k blue Calor Gas in our van and found this hard to find whilst over in Cork/Kerry/Clare from Cornwall,tho have been told it's available further North. We also have a 2.72 k Camping Gaz cylinder if necessary but don't know how easy this is either!
    Somewhere on this forum there's a thread about different gases available in Ireland but have tried searching for it with no luck (and even less expertise!)
    The Blue Calor bottle is UK only - and Northern Ireland uses same bottles as Republic.

It may well be possible to get your UK Blue bottle refilled - and yes there was a thread about it somewhere here.

FYI: I found this information on the Inland Waterways forum (as they obviously get UK boats needing blue bottles too):
    I guess for anyone in need it might be worth checking along the Shannon marinas or indeed the Canals.

http://www.iwai.ie/forum/read.php?1,13135,13255

Here are bits I lifted from that IWAI site:

I can fill almost any gas cylinder , I'm based in Bray Co. Wicklow give me a call at 01 2860254 or check out www.braygas.com

Paul

Lawless' in Athlone (beside the B&Q store) have them (i.e. have Blue ones for sale I think)

DOLAN MARKETING LTD, 7 CASTLEMAIN ST. ATHLONE, 090 6475767.
    HAVE THEM. bring in empty with you. i get them there all the time.
    The is a Gas supplier in Athlone that fills them on the spot, they are past Costume Barracks as you head out of the Town near Shines. In Dublin I use ACME in Prussia Street.
    (I am not clear about these previous 2 mentioned - ie will they refill the Blue ones or just Irish ones)

A couple of additional stockists of the small blue UK cylinders come to mind ...

Portaneena Marina/Chatterton's have stocked then in the past.
    The fuel merchant at Bray Harbour has had them in stock too.

Here's some info from someone who seems to know something:
    Hi List,

There are a number of Propane/Butane regulators and the sizes are important to make a connection to your cylinder.

In Ireland we use the Kosan type generally in two diameters 35mm and 27mm usually the 27mm is for Butane.
    Industrial/ Domestic Large cylinders use the POL connection( A Cone shaped Left Hand thread 5/8" BSP)
    We also use a Flat faced connection of 20mm thread.

Uk do not use the Kosan Type but it is used on, Northern/Southern Irish, Norweigan, Spanish and Portugese gas cylinders.

UK have 3 sizes in Clip on Regulators 20,21 & 27mm

Camping Gaz have there own screw in type adaptor.

Now if your cylinder locker will take the Irish size, 5kg or 15kg,cylinder I suggest you change over as it is much easier to get refills.

To change from Flat Face to POL is straightforward with a simple adaptor on to the cylinder.

With others you have the problem of making the hose connection from cylinder to your gas inlet. this may be a electric shut off valve or whatever so you need a "Pigtail" with the correct connection on each end of the hose to go from the cylinder to your control unit. regulators come with a selecion of connections. Normally a Nozzle for connection with a hose or with various threaded ends,1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" bsp, W20 male etc

Needless to add a word of caution here and that is to make sure you make any connections properly with "Gas PTFE Yellow" tape not the "White" water quality normally sold as sealing tape, great for water and air but gas is different.

McManus in Athlone will only fill cylinders with the Kosan type valves.

Give me a ring off list with any other queries you might have 087 279 0169

Pat Morrissey / íde Rowe

"Colibri"
    Athlone
    Note this guy is a boater, not a camper so he might not take kindly to us poo' folks calling him!

By the way - if you do have to go buy a regulator - check hardware stores and farmers coops - I have seen regulators for €8 or so there whereas official Calor agent wanted nearly €30!
    I happen to have a full Blue UK bottle here - but I am in Cork, alas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 zdan1916

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    But a full size bottle is twice the weight of gas - at €28-€29 (which is over twice what it costs in France!)

If anybody in Cork needs an empty half sized bottle drop me a PM - I have a couple to spare.

Am heading down soon to Innishannon to get my collection of full and half sized bottles filled (with Propane) for van, BBQ and patio-heater - will let you know what it costs.
    Hi dowtchaboy, if you still have a spare half as bottle going would love it, could pick-up any time suits you. cheers dan

Advertisement