Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A problem I had is that as it's pretty rare to get passed/kill the dogs, when I finally did I'd bottle it and go in like a madman. Only to die.

The trick is to take your time. There's a ledge over to the side of the stairs you can walk on.

What I did was, after running up the stairs and killing the dogs, wait for the Capra ****er to slowly walk up the stairs. Walk out along the ledge.

As he's at the top of the stairs, jump down and stand back a bit. He'll jump down after you and try to attack at the same time. He'll miss, but his recovery time is nice and long. So while he's crouched there trying to pick his swords back up, you can lash into him.

Run back up the stairs. Let him follow you up. Repeat until he's dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently Shinobi 3DS is fantastic:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinobi/shinobi7.htm

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Apparently Shinobi 3DS is fantastic:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shinobi/shinobi7.htm

Excellent, I had high hopes for this one.

Pretty hilarious that they've just called in 'Shinobi' again. Shame it's not Shinobi IV.

/Edit - that's out Thursday and the new Mario game is Friday? Seriously?

It's either a drought or season of wallet rape with games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah he seems like he'd be easy to beat if it wasn't for those stupid dogs. I can get up the stairs but then the camera lets me down and Capra Demon gets me before I can kill them.

Did you buy a potion from Gandalf the Master Wizard? That's what I always do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

o1s1n wrote: »
    Excellent, I had high hopes for this one.

Pretty hilarious that they've just called in 'Shinobi' again. Shame it's not Shinobi IV.

/Edit - that's out Thursday and the new Mario game is Friday? Seriously?

It's either a drought or season of wallet rape with games!

Saw Shinobi for sale in Game on Dawson St. yesterday evening, don't know if that was an error though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xbox is 10 years old today. Not a great console due to a lack of exclusive but it did have a few great games like the glorious Panzer Dragoon Orta.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah the dog protected Capra Demon. o1s1n reminded me of that bastard the other night.

But you have the respawning ones to look forward to later. Best soul farming spot in the game!

Master of the Universe

Ah the dog protected Capra Demon. o1s1n reminded me of that bastard the other night.

I completely misread that the first time and thought you were calling me a Capra Demon lookalike bastard :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Xbox is 10 years old today. Not a great console due to a lack of exclusive but it did have a few great games like the glorious Panzer Dragoon Orta.

10 years?! My god I feel old.

Also, I'm looking for some really good Game Gear platfomers. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Also, I'm looking for some really good Game Gear platfomers. Any suggestions?

Can't go far wrong with Sonic 1, 2 and Chaos.

Ristar is excellent.

The two Game Gear Shinobi games are amazing.

The asterix games are pretty good, think they are on the GG.

Mickey Mouse Land of illusion and Castle of Illusion are fantastic

Donald Duck Lucky Dime Caper is great as well.

Ninja Gaiden is stupidly good.

Just off the top of my head.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Great! It's for my secret santa on retro collect. I hope he doesn't read here :P Already picked up castle of illusion today in the rage as part of the pressie and was thinking of Sonic Chaos. Might go for Ristar on the MD so it's not all Game Gear stuff :)

Actually ristar is expensive on the MD. Scratch that! :P

Rocket Knight Adventures then. If you don't love it you have no soul.

Rocket Knight Adventures then. If you don't love it you have no soul.

He already has it =/

Hmm...

Probotector?

Awesome Possum (:P) ?

Gunstar Heroes?

Ecco?

Toejam and Earl?

He has all of them, except Awesome Possum which after looking at a youtube vid sounds like the most annoing character ever.

Damn this guy has good taste :P

He's interested in shmups, platformers and action games for sega systems, in particular the Game Gear and Master System.

What about Ranger X?

Master of Darkness on the MS? great 'vania clone

Thunderforce 3 or 4?

Gynoug?

The Ecco games?

What about Ranger X?

That'll do, Ranger X is the ****ing business!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Transbot.

Master of the Universe

That'll do, Ranger X is the ****ing business!

Not only is it one of the best (and sadly, criminally overlooked) Megadrive games - it can also be had dirt cheap!

Perfect for secret santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

As an aside, I'm surprised how well the old Sega lightgun titles work on the PC. The mouse takes a little getting used to, but it turns out like a railed version of Quake. Good times.

So it's decided. Transbot (as I've spotted a boxed copy for just over €3 posted), Ranger X, castle of illusion and the Donald duck game on the GG as it was also in the rage.

What would I do without ye :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Transbot is utterly brilliant. I'd buy an extra copy for yourself or you might be upset to have to give it away.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Transbot is utterly brilliant. I'd buy an extra copy for yourself or you might be upset to have to give it away.

I'll resist playing it when it arrives so I'm blissfully unaware :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Seriously... how hungry can one dinosaur be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    Seriously... how hungry can one dinosaur be?

You tell us, its partly autobiographical is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I did just demolish a whole packet of Jammy Dodgers as if they were stegasaurs now that you mention it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

DinoRex wrote: »
    I did just demolish a whole packet of Jammy Dodgers as if they were stegasaurs now that you mention it.
    so is your jammy dodgers stock back to a critical level? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement