Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP

• 17-11-2012 1:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi guys I have an idea for a book about my experience as a young homeless man (past tense) in Dublin. I have been thinking about it for months now and I know the story but when I go to type it I go blank anyone now how to prevent this from happening ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

it can be very very very hard to sit in front of a blank page, type 'chapter one' and go from there.

So perhaps you could start by structuring out your story, just using concise bullet points and notes to outline what you want to get across and how you intend to do that.

As you make those notes and jot down ideas you might then begin to find it a bit easier to expand upon them and to breathe life into them as you go.

Alternatively, if you're struggling in front of a screen, maybe things would work better if you used a dictaphone or a voice recorder and 'spoke' the basics of your story before you tried to write it.

Personally I find it easiest to use a pen and paper to write a first draft of anything (then I invariably make huge changes when typing up what I've scribbled.)

Everyone is different - but don't imagine that anyone actually finds it easy to write. (To be honest if you find it easy to write you're probably not ending up with anything that's any good!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Im no writer so take my advice carefully, I have a lot of spare time on my hands and get bored, I started to write a while ago and to be honest I dont have a clue if its something people will read or Im just killing time.
    What I did/do is just type whatever comes into my head and then go back on it and edit/delete/add ect. For me it cuts out the thinking, im not trying to make a page/chapter/book , Im just sending the words from my head to the keyboard and when I read it back I fix it as I go.
    Its a slow process but Ill get there in the end.
    Dont think, just type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

Thank you for both replies I have started and if its crap so be it i just wanna stop all these voices in my head by putting it on paper

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Can I make a suggestion OP?

Write it as a diary or journal. It'll help you as you go by being able to put events into chronological order & also make for a better read as the reader will have an idea of timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

OU812 wrote: »
    Can I make a suggestion OP?

Write it as a diary or journal. It'll help you as you go by being able to put events into chronological order & also make for a better read as the reader will have an idea of timeframe.

Thats a great idea thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement