Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,429 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadYaker wrote: »
    Ok so what is your plan? What are you going to do if a fine is imposed on you? Will you refuse to pay that? Would you go to court over it?

All the way with my protest.
    I'm not paying for the luxuries enjoyed by the Golden Circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All the way to prison?

donalg1 wrote: »
    Thats all good and well and I am not disputing any part of what you said above and I feel the same too, I am not one bit happy about having to pay for the mistakes of others as I too managed my finances accordingly and did not in anyway contribute to the mess we are in, have never defaulted on any loan have never missed a payment on any loan I took out, mainly because I only ever borrowed within my means and by within my means I mean that no matter how bad things got for me, whether I am on Social Welfare I could still afford my loan repayments.

However, fact is the country is screwed and was ruined by the greedy but like it or not everyone now has to pay for the mistakes of a few, thats the country we live in today. If we all refuse to pay then the country will fall further into the s*** and we will all be just as responsible for the mess.

I will not even begin to consider paying UNTIL the people at the top are paying too. Did you listen to the Pat Kenny radio show this morning regarding the expenses being paid out to politicians ? It's unbelievable the money they are getting on top of their wages. It's hypocritical in the extreme that these people can tell us what we will have to pay and what we will be cut while they are absolutely fleecing the country. They receive 92k per year and nearly 50k more in expenses. Well now are you willing to pay for that anymore ?

MadYaker wrote: »
    All the way to prison?

Yes and I will be in great company.
    Any idea when these 100 new prisons are being built ? They will need at least that amount to hold us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I will not even begin to consider paying UNTIL the people at the top are paying too. Did you listen to the Pat Kenny radio show this morning regarding the expenses being paid out to politicians ? It's unbelievable the money they are getting on top of their wages. It's hypocritical in the extreme that these people can tell us what we will have to pay and what we will be cut while they are absolutely fleecing the country. They receive 92k per year and nearly 50k more in expenses. Well now are you willing to pay for that anymore ?

Well you see as a citizen of this country I have no choice but to pay my taxes.

• Advertisement

Well you see as a citizen of this country I have no choice but to pay my taxes.

If you think a law is wrong then you have a moral responsibility to stand up to it.

If you think a law is wrong then you have a moral responsibility to stand up to it.

I didnt say I think its wrong, I feel quite the opposite and think we should've been paying some form of charge / property tax for years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

No matter how much they raise it will never be enough. This debt cannot be paid and Enda didn't even try to get it reduced. He might lose face.

Forget about paying back the debt.

We need to raise additional money through taxes to make up our own deficit. We'd be in a far stronger position to re-negotiate the bailout if we were in this position. Right now we're screwed because the people we need to borrow from can dictate the terms, if we were self sufficient from a tax spending perspective this would change.

Additional taxes and cuts to spending are required, I happen to think a stable property tax is required for as long as it takes to balance the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Once you turn eighteen you must take an interest in the affairs of the world. Adults are responsible. If you're not standing against this tax I'd presume you were not a responsible person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Gareth2011, What about a bicycle registration tax, to be paid yearly just like road tax for cars etc.
    Cyclists use the roads and those roads don't maintain themselves you know!

By all means bring it in but good luck enfocing it. Alot easier to say you don't own a bike than it is a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

Just pay the F*ckin charge yiz miserable gits!

squod wrote: »
    Once you turn eighteen you must take an interest in the affairs of the world. Adults are responsible. If you're not standing against this tax I'd presume you were not a responsible person.

Ha responsible adults pay thier taxes and abide by laws, seriously your view of the world and responsibilities couldnt be any more backward.

Thanks for the laugh though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Ha responsible adults pay thier taxes and abide by laws, seriously your view of the world and responsibilities couldnt be any more backward.

Thanks for the laugh though;)

Another poster who'd see Mandela put behind bars.

Another poster who'd see Mandela put behind bars.

Where did I say that? Seriously show me?

Cant believe you are now comparing the household charge to apartheid, this gets more ridiculous by the second, funnier too though lmfao here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Just pay the F*ckin charge yiz miserable gits!

Thanks for your input.
    You either still live with your ma and she's going to pay it or you live in a council house, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Maybe this has been answered before but are we going to be billed for this charge or do we have to find out ourselves about it and what to do, and if so is this legal. So far i have received nothing and only for the news i would know nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

I just think that people who don't want to contribute their share to the resolution of the problems in this country should move to another country.

Like our tax exiles?. Or do you think it's a good idea to exile more people? Ones who currently work, and do contribute thousands on an annual basis already, but find this particular tax repugnant.
    K-9 wrote: »
    We used to have an attitude about debt too, it got ditched somewhere along the way.

Probably into the same hole as the bank's lending criteria, terms, conditions and regulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'll be paying the household charge when I go to pay my TV licence

Hehehehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

More than 80% pay the TV licence even though are no consequences for not doing so (you're TV cannot be cut off) and even if you are caught you are given lots of time to pay before any possibility of a court appearance. 340,000 are paying the NPPR (second homes) tax on a voluntary registration basis. IMO a great number of people do not like to put themselves outside any law of the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

IMO a great number of people do not like to put themselves outside any law of the land.

Very true. Except in the instance of property tax which has traditionally been ignored and has failed on two previous occasions here and once in the UK.
    Of the 1.12 million households in Ireland in 1996, 1.1 million did not pay the tax

Again the Government is simply backing a non-runner with this issue. That's absolutely clear.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0110/1224310052193.html

......we don’t have local democracy. We barely even have local government. In most developed countries, about half of all tax revenue is spent at local level. In Ireland, just 6 per cent is. So the demand should be clear: give us real democratic local control over the revenue and we’ll pay a fair property tax.

Well said. The black hole of gombeenism is where this money is going. What a waste.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Very true. Except in the instance of property tax which has traditionally been ignored and has failed on two previous occasions here and once in the UK.

Again the Government is simply backing a non-runner with this issue. That's absolutely clear.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2012/0110/1224310052193.html

Well said. The black hole of gombeenism is where this money is going. What a waste.

Domestic rates were never abolished in the North. The system is going strong there at present and Sinn Fein dominated councils seem to have no objection to operating it. In the rest of the UK people pay on average £1200 per dwelling in Council Tax which was introduced in 1993. Maybe and independent Scotland would abolish it?

If 25 other EU countries can manage it I think we should give it a go, you never know third time lucky. Bit early to say it's a non runner. People still have almost a month to set up a direct debit, almost two months to pay otherwise. 68,000 people have had zero reason to hand over their money so soon but they have done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

ninty wrote: »
    Maybe this has been answered before but are we going to be billed for this charge or do we have to find out ourselves about it and what to do, and if so is this legal. So far i have received nothing and only for the news i would know nothing about it.

I will pay this tax when I receive notification that I should pay it. No invoice - no payment.

I'm not refusing to pay it, but this lark of announcing on the news "here's the website, register and pay" is dung.

Especially when there's so much confusion over where the money is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

boobar wrote: »
    I will pay this tax when I receive notification that I should pay it. No invoice - no payment.

I'm not refusing to pay it, but this lark of announcing on the news "here's the website, register and pay" is dung.

my thoughts exactly.i will pay it if and when i get a bill in the letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Hold on! Are you serious?

It is pretty fcuking clear where our money is going.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Hold on! Are you serious?

It is pretty fcuking clear where our money is going.

This is what the Act says:

Financial Implications of the Bill
    The Bill has no direct financial implications for the Exchequer as
    the revenue from the €100 household charge will be lodged to the
    Local Government Fund out of which funding will be provided by
    the Minister for the Environment, Community and Local
    Government to local authorities in the form of General-Purpose
    Grants.

hawkelady wrote: »
    Thanks for your input.
    You either still live with your ma and she's going to pay it or you live in a council house, yeah.

Thats a stupid comment to make. Just because he says pay it doesn't mean he still lives with his mother or is in a council house. Id say the same thing and I have a mortgage on it so you going to say I live in a council house or still with my "ma" :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

what if it was 500 euro ..........???????

Only a 10'er a week

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's called Self Assessment, it's how Income Tax for the self employed works, Revenue don't have to write to everybody and baby sit them, they just assume it's up to you to register and pay it.

The high profile anti campaign really leaves ignorance as a very, very poor defence.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ninty wrote: »

As far as im aware they are not sending out notice's its on a self-register basis. But they will get you with not paying one way or another and if you go to court a simple "I didn't get any notice of it through the post so I didn't pay it or I didn't know about it" will get you the hefty fine they describe. If you see it on the news then you know about it and its not rocket science to register either. Your just jumping on the don't pay band wagon. I have a feeling that band wagon will fall to pieces when it gets close to closing time for non-payment.

• Advertisement

Why does it matter where the money is going? You saying you would refuse to pay car insurance because you don't want the money going in to pay peoples wages or keep insurance companies open? Grow up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement