Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendation circa €500 (Hybrid)

Options
  • 16-10-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

looking to get a bike soon, mainly for road commuting with a budget of about €500

some i am considering the following

Specialized Sirrus
    Giant Escape 3
    Boardman Hybrid Comp

appreciate other suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Mrs. Z has an Escape 3. Nice general purpose bike and very good value. Not super light. For your budget you could nearly stretch to an Escape 1. It's got carbon forks which makes it quite a bit lighter, and it should be better at damping road chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    looking to get a bike soon, mainly for road commuting with a budget of about €500

Specialized Sirrus
    Giant Escape 3
    Boardman Hybrid Comp

how about a road bike so?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

kenmc wrote: »

Yep. I had a Sirrus, loved it. Now I have an Allez. I much prefer the Allez. Ignorance is bliss. Remember how easy learning to ride a bike was?

What's the reason for wanting a hybrid? Mountain bikes are good for mountains, road bikes are good for roads. Hybrids don't excel at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Trek FX series cannot be ignored although you will pay closer to €600 for the Trek 7.2FX

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kenmc wrote: »
    The clue is in the title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Zen0 wrote: »
    Mrs. Z has an Escape 3. Nice general purpose bike and very good value. Not super light. For your budget you could nearly stretch to an Escape 1. It's got carbon forks which makes it quite a bit lighter, and it should be better at damping road chatter.
    Yep. I had a Sirrus, loved it. Now I have an Allez. I much prefer the Allez. Ignorance is bliss. Remember how easy learning to ride a bike was?

What's the reason for wanting a hybrid? Mountain bikes are good for mountains, road bikes are good for roads. Hybrids don't excel at anything.

In fairness hybrids can be a lot more relaxed geometry fatter tyres heavier racks and weight limits

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I dont want a bike where I am hunched over all the time, just something to hit the roads on relaxed position that can move along, hence the hybrid
    Have an old mountain bike with fatter tyres, steel frame, etc and its a slog to move it

Be aware that some hybrids have a road bike like geometry and set up. Others don't. Depends also on the surfaces you are going over. Bad/good surface etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I dont want a bike where I am hunched over all the time, just something to hit the roads on relaxed position that can move along, hence the hybrid
    Have an old mountain bike with fatter tyres, steel frame, etc and its a slog to move it

you don't have to be hunched over all the time on a road bike. having your hands on the tops of the hoods(over the break levers) is just about the same as a hybrid.

i have a hybrid/mtb and i barely use it now. roads bikes are much more fun

but for 500 euro you will get a better quality hybrid than road bike

opinions on this please?
    http://www.adverts.ie/mountain-bikes/superb-bike-for-sale/6640025?notification=f397fddae32476ecc7e9d5a5ad8fbcae-1413564849#comment_37924748

ok its not the original bike I am asking for help on, but I'm also looking for a bike for my lad. Just wondering on price etc? The frame size suits him for his size and for a few yrs of growing

Ad says its 4yrs old but cant see this bike listed on the Specialized archive site in this color combo...would it be possible that US colors differ from sold here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Have a Giant Escape 3 myself and love it. Mainly a road bike user, but I love the Escape for commuting, shopping runs or faffing around on forest trails. Highly recommend it.

Was in Halfords this morning and came across this

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-axle-limited-edition-mens-27-5-hybrid-bike-2015

Reduced down from 600 to 300eur....

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Those big wide wheels would be over-kill for Irish roads. Unless you're going off-road, I'd stick to the narrower wheels like the Giant Escape and Specialized Sirrus have.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-axle-limited-edition-mens-27-5-hybrid-bike-2015

Thoughts?

Halfords seem to have a sale on most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinescu

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, hope not last:)

Specialized Sirrus
    Giant Escape 3
    Boardman Hybrid Comp

Giant 3 - solid, comfortable donkey for all tasks. I would suggest however Escape 2, for 479 - stronger wheel, cassette, more speed, more enjoyable drive behavior. Or even Escape 1.

Sirrus - Refined in the details that please the eye, nicer design and details than the Giant but main parts basically the same. The upper frame is slightly longer so the position will be more inclined than the Giant.

Boardman - The sportiest of the trio, the narrowest tires. 600 euros, mechanical disc brakes (not recommended). Attachments closer road bikes, and SRAM / FSA parts- cumbersome accessories.

cumbersome accessories ?

Why not mechanical disk brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinescu

beauf wrote: »
    cumbersome accessories ?

Why not mechanical disk brakes?

I mean, its not easy to get parts for FSA , and brakes are weak and difficult to regulate, in addition to this, there are single piston.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Thoughts?

Halfords are a bit of a joke at this stage. That half price offer is
    more that what the bike is worth. Never 600.

Probably best to go with one of the mainstream options listed earlier. Far superior bikes to the carrera.

Even if you had to go second hand i am sure you could pick up an ex bike to work model with very little use.

might push the boat out for the Giant Escape 1

might push the boat out for the Giant Escape 1

I would recommend bike testing against the Trek 7.2FX then. Both are great hybrids but I'd shop one against the other. The great thing about buying one of these is that if you keep it in good shape and want to upgrade again in a few years they sell really quickly.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I would recommend bike testing against the Trek 7.2FX then. Both are great hybrids but I'd shop one against the other. The great thing about buying one of these is that if you keep it in good shape and want to upgrade again in a few years they sell really quickly.

ok appreciate the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

ok appreciate the advice

Hey. I have a trek fx series hybrid. Currently debating over selling or keeping as wish i had bought a road bike. Only have it couple months.

I am 6'4" so it is the largest frame size. Would do a deal if you were interested. Not pushed in selling but would allow more to spend on road bike.

Cost over 500 new.

christy02 wrote: »
    Hey. I have a trek fx series hybrid. Currently debating over selling or keeping as wish i had bought a road bike. Only have it couple months.

I am 6'4" so it is the largest frame size. Would do a deal if you were interested. Not pushed in selling but would allow more to spend on road bike.

Cost over 500 new.

thanks for letting me know, prob too big for me, im only 5'10

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

thanks for letting me know, prob too big for me, im only 5'10

No problem. I am in cork if that's near you and you want to take a look..

christy02 wrote: »
    No problem. I am in cork if that's near you and you want to take a look..

sorry I'm in Naas

ok BTW scheme came available last week so paid a visit to my LBS and have put in for a voucher for the Trek 7.3FX 2015 model. Little bit more than I was looking to spend but when you take in the BTW scheme and spread payments over 12 months its grand

What drew me to the 7.3FX was the matt black finish and the internally routed cables plus all the good & positive things I read about the 7.3FX online...

Just waiting on the voucher now to place the order

Will let you know how it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭fits

They are deadly wee general purpose bikes. You wont be disappointed. Mine is a commuter/tourer/cargo/winter bike. It does everything well.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

I wouldn't rule out a road bike if I were you. I went from a hybrid to a road bike for commuting and loved the change.

For that money, a Carrera virtuoso from the halfords range is good value for $.

great bike. Trek's get no appreciation here but their hybrids are brilliant. Mine (7.2FX) had done thousands of miles is last 8 or 9 years and still looks and rides like new. I have a proper road bike too but still love riding my hybrid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement