Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I bought cheap tyres (15.00) for my racer yesterday and was told by everybody they were going to be useless for my prep for ring of Kerry .

Today after my ride was cut short with tyre bulge I went out and bought 40 euro tyres .

Will I ever learn ,...........:0(

I have two bikes running on Standard Rubinos €14 per tyre on Wiggle (23s on 110psi and 28s at 85 both are bombproof)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The cheap ones are rubeno v80 , the 35 euro ones are schwalbe durano plus .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

OldBean wrote: »
    Be a shame to drill it all the same. The clasp is well placed on the B, but does the long stem to the cage give any shaking/creaking?

Actually no, it does the job well. Still in place after a weekend of heavy use. The Velo Orange handlebar mounts look nice and could work, but they leave no room for bar mounted lights.
    there are much neater straps from zefal available

Thanks for that, they look a much better job.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^
    If I owned that Bianchi, I would die of thirst, rather than leave that bottle cage on it.
    It spoils the beauty of the bike.

That's the dilemma, Eamon. Its easier in Winter/ Spring to ride without a bottle. In Summer you kinda have to have something.

Its a work in progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Actually no, it does the job well. Still in place after a weekend of heavy use. The Velo Orange handlebar mounts look nice and could work, but they leave no room for bar mounted lights.

Only on one side though, right? Bottle on the left, light on the right?

Only on one side though, right? Bottle on the left, light on the right?

There also a garmin mount and a backup light. It gets crowded :)

Good point though - one would be OK with a bit of juggling. I was thinking ideally I could have the option for two. Talking a clubmate at the weekend who thought manual drilling of bosses would be fine, however its not the first time this problem has come up and the consensus among others has been not to drill the frame.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't drill the frame of at all possible.

Could always pop your spare light onto the right side fork?

If postage on the VO yokes is a fortune, and you're based in Dublin, and it stops you drilling holes in your frame, I'll be stopping by their HQ within the next 3 months. Nice matching bottle cages too...

I wouldn't drill the frame of at all possible.

Could always pop your spare light onto the right side fork?

If postage on the VO yokes is a fortune, and you're based in Dublin, and it stops you drilling holes in your frame, I'll be stopping by their HQ within the next 3 months. Nice matching bottle cages too...

Nice one OldBean, I'll take another look and let you know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

I installed a rear reflector onto my mudguard to get all road legal before these FPN's come in, and a mudflap on my front mudguard to save cleaning down my crankset and shoes as often. I'll drill in the rear one as soon as Winter comes round.

Wait, which FPN's are you talking about?

As far as I know, the on-the-spot fines being introduced cover not having a rear reflector, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

As far as I know, the on-the-spot fines being introduced cover not having a rear reflector, no?

I think it's always been a legal requirement to have reflectors both front and rear.

A pedal cycle means a bicycle or tricycle in Irish law (a monocycle is not defined) [Road Act, 1961, Art. 3]

A vehicle means a mechanically propelled, animal-drawn or pedal cycle type.

In Irish law a pedal cycle that is intended for use on public roads has to be fitted with audible bell, mudguards on each wheel, lights at front (white) and rear (red) and reflectors (front - white; red - rear; wheel spokes - clear) and brake set (front & rear).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    In Irish law a pedal cycle that is intended for use on public roads has to be fitted with audible bell, mudguards on each wheel, lights at front (white) and rear (red) and reflectors (front - white; red - rear; wheel spokes - clear) and brake set (front & rear).

God, I never knew that. Bell, mudguards, lights as well as reflectors. I'd say well under half of bikes have all of those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Replaced my brake cables and brake pads today for the first time, and I think it went well! Looking forward to trying them out on the road. Will be hoping for lots of red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Have been battling an annoying click/creak on my rt58 when out of the saddle sprinting/climbing since i bought it. Never brought it back as shop is a long way away from me and thought it was just a grease/torque issue anyway. Have stripped the whole thing down except the cranks and rebuilt everything lately and still couldn't solve it. So was set it was either cranks or bb.
    On closer inspection of the bb it appears to have been fitted with a vice grips as opposed to a bb tool...

Screenshot_2015-06-25-13-08-21_zpsx1pe9ttr.png

Screenshot_2015-06-25-13-08-11_zpsv4uo20iu.png

butchered on.....
    anyway got new bb in and it turns out the plastic cover bolted into the bottom of the frame for the cable guides has a screw in it which was app 4 mm too long and was tightened up against and started to puncture into the bb shell in the middle. Must have been flexing when out of the saddle just enough to be rubbing the whole way round it when pedaling.
    New ultegra bb for €17 from crc, cut 4mm off the bolt and SILENCE IS NOW GOLDEN!!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

I hit it with a hammer.
    Having crashed, bending the lever.
    Now it's straight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think it's always been a legal requirement to have reflectors both front and rear.

A pedal cycle means a bicycle or tricycle in Irish law (a monocycle is not defined) [Road Act, 1961, Art. 3]

A vehicle means a mechanically propelled, animal-drawn or pedal cycle type.

Not all of this is true!!

A bicycle, has to be fitted with a rear reflector. There is an exemption for racing bikes,(racing,or going to or from races)
    If you have reflectors fitted to the front, it must be white. You don't have to have them.
    If you have reflectors fitted to wheels, they must be amber. You don't have to have them.
    A bicycle does not have to have mudguards.
    You only have to have front and rear lights fitted, during lighting up time, (Between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise) white to the front, red to the rear.
    Racing bikes don't have to have a bell. This can include mountain bikes, BMXs, and TT bikes

I was thinking something wasn't right with that.

Why is it a road act so. It must be written into law somewhere. No?

I assume what you have described are ammendments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

I was thinking something wasn't right with that.

Why is it a road act so. It must be written into law somewhere. No?

I assume what you have described are ammendments?

Most of what you have listed is simply not actually in that road act, or actually states what Eamonnator said. Have a look at the cycling legislation megathread for (a lot!!!) more details

cython wrote: »
    Most of what you have listed is simply not actually in that road act, or actually states what Eamonnator said. Have a look at the cycling legislation megathread for (a lot!!!) more details

It's not my list I got it off the Dublin bike scheme page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

It's not my list I got it off the Dublin bike scheme page.

Sorry if it sounded like I was suggesting you had put together the list, I actually assumed you had copied it from a mistaken interpretation somewhere, to be honest. It really just highlights the importance of looking at the legal text yourself though, as everything else is an interpretation, and susceptible to error/bias as a result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

cython wrote: »

That's a great thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Not my bike but upgraded PaterScone's steed from CXP22s with a Tiagra 12-28 to Zondas with a 12-30 casette Swisstop Green pads and a badly needed clean.
    20150626_210422.jpg

Needs a new chain, some non fugly bottle cages and fresh bartape. No convincing him to abandon the hideous Aldi bumbag alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Not the bike exactly but today I replaced the battery in my Garmin Forerunner and was painfully reminded that I'm a shuttering carpenter, not an electrical engineer. The Youtube video made it look quite easy. 8 minutes or so. Reality was somewhat different from Youtube. Youtube didn't break one of the tiny wires inside the Garmin when trying to put it back together. Youtube didn't melt part of the watch strap with the soldering iron when the 3 year old started fighting with his sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Please excuse the potato pictures, but here it goes...

I've had this BMX for 5-6 years and the last 3 of them it has spent sitting in a shed, so it was time to «resurrect» it. Here it is, after pumping up the tyres.

11355222_1456448564649405_853457091_n.jpg

Then I decided I want to make it look better, so I stripped it down to the frame, removed the stickers and sanded it down.

LsQepHg.jpg

You may notice new rims and tyres, a couple of useless plastic bits, oh... and the paint. It didn't come out quite the way I wanted to. The colour and the fact that it's not perfect so I will re-paint it soon.

19462329815_05603bce0d_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Fathead

Forks on backwards???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Oops. :o

Err... I mean... what are you talking about? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Not today but Friday I broke my derailleur hanger. New one on order from Merlin Cycles. No hanger, no cycle.
    Why can't these hangers be an industry standard? Is there really any need to have a seemingly infinite number of hanger styles? I really should be able to walk in off the street to any bike shop and buy a spare hanger

Picked up a second hand Genesis CdF this morning. Replaced the stem, new seatpost on (a crap one, but will be replaced in due course), topped with a leather saddle I'd already half broken in on my tourer, fitted SPD pedals, gave the ins and outs a once over, and jumped off some kerbs and through some potholes.

I was so tempted to head up to Phoenix Park and play in the mud, but tomorrow I'm replacing the front and rear mechs, bottom bracket and crankset.

In a few weeks, a nice new handlebar and bartape matching the saddle.

Picked up a second hand Genesis CdF this morning. Replaced the stem, new seatpost on (a crap one, but will be replaced in due course), topped with a leather saddle I'd already half broken in on my tourer, fitted SPD pedals, gave the ins and outs a once over, and jumped off some kerbs and through some potholes.

I was so tempted to head up to Phoenix Park and play in the mud, but tomorrow I'm replacing the front and rear mechs, bottom bracket and crankset.

Get thee to the Phoenix Park with DSLR camera and make some bike p**n ;)

Not til it's done!

It needs matching bar tape, silver bars, the drillium crankset and some nice cages before it's ready. But considering the PassHunter is 'finished', I might swing up tomorrow and do that justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

Welcome to the genesis fan club ! Cause you will be one ;-)

Advertisement