Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

gadetra wrote: »
    Well it's not just the shoulder muscles that add weight ;) I suppose we are evenly proportioned though, I suppose it's my cycling stye that adds pressure-I am comfiest down on the drops and tend to stay there a lot. I do vary it a bit, but not enough probably.

Is cork as shock absorbent as gel? The sister said she wanted some for her bike too. She wants pink. I showed her multiple non-pink options. She still wants pink. I am disturbed. Her bike is red. I see a large clash in her future!

I find cork does the job with padded (not gel) mitts or even just my neoprene winter gloves (I heart them).

I spend a fair amount of time in the drops (less so on the Tifosi but still) and have found that when my hands are getting numb moving back towards the end plugs helps a lot.

Edit: have you tried cold water for the post ride numbness. I used to get numb/micro shakes after using a punch bag. Cold running water sorted it out (apparently it was the result of a souped up blood flow to the surface).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I find cork does the job with padded (not gel) mitts or even just my neoprene winter gloves (I heart them).

I spend a fair amount of time in the drops (less so on the Tifosi but still) and have found that when my hands are getting numb moving back towards the end plugs helps a lot.

Edit: have you tried cold water for the post ride numbness. I used to get numb/micro shakes after using a punch bag. Cold running water sorted it out (apparently it was the result of a souped up blood flow to the surface).

That's uber helpful thanks, I'll try them both out. I only noticed the weak/numbness when I went to get my keys and open my door-arm/hand-wrist wouldn't do it! I thought it'd de-numb after a while but no sign yet. It'd better be de-numbed by tomorrow or else I'm gonna have a comedy flappy arm- dropping-things day. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Got an old Shamrock Cycles Ltd racer yesterday from a friend which hadn't been used in ages (drop bar shifter style bike) and didn't realise that it was not indexed so when I attempted to change gear I managed to rip the smallest cog of the rear hub.

Took the rear wheel off and fixed the cassette, cleaned the whole bike up and removed the brake pads (buying new ones tomorrow) and a few weighty accessories.

Plan to start cycling everywhere on it and wanted to strip it to the basics. Havnt cycled since I was a kid an never really worked on a bike before so I was happy with the end result.. God bless wd40, nearly wrecked the thing unscrewing a few bolts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

cdaly_ wrote: »
    What happens here is when you're mounting the tyre, it lands on top of the tube and valve. Then when you pump it up, the tube pushes the tyre bead back over the rim.

For future reference, when mounting a tyre, push the valve stem back into the wheel so the tube clears the tyre bead and then seat the bead. That will avoid this issue.

I did. I checked the whole way around to make sure the tyre was sitting in the run and partially inflated the tube to make sure it wouldn't pinch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

New wheelset, FSA Vision Team 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Better here than in motorbikes :D

From
    Idleater wrote: »
    A picture paints a thousand words:
    14394371829_613e92d1c9.jpg

To
    Idleater wrote: »
    14601234353_78f80f6733_h.jpg
    Unstickered Enigma

Rain stopped play for the day at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Got the new SRAM Rival 22 groupo fitted :-)

314255.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Diggabot wrote: »
    Got the new SRAM Rival 22 groupo fitted :-)

314256.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bit of bling thrown at the rothar today. I'll look the part at least ;)

Before
    image-6cdaeb718a2ac610309a85b8b7e113303e7fd2ad298cf89332e9e46d0b0a7486-V_zpsjga7mydy.jpg

After
    image-063bee849b9bf8042a3ab4116b4aefa3ac6550e5fee55b6c93fdec6c23136a16-V_zpsj6vktdxk.jpg

I think I might need to upgrade the frame next. Ground up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

New BB, new chain, new RD and hanger and new cables. Just couldn't get the gears to work properly, then found the outer had corroded through, so bought new outer sleeves. Still couldn't get gears fully adjusted and noticed rear wheel was very off-true. Off to new LBS and they sorted it, plus fitting a new bottle cage boss as one had stripped.
    I now know that brake and gear outers are different, and not both way interchangeable (gear cable outers are stiffer).
    Good service from the LBS who also changed the FD outer that was going the same way as the rear one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I fitted Zipp Service Course CX bar tape and a black Prologo Kappa EVO PAS saddle to my bike. I have a new pair of all black Michelin Pro4 SC tyres ready to go on too. No more coloured stuff for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Full refresh for the weekend...new bb, new izumi chain, new bar tape, greased the pedals, greased the seat tube, torqued everything up.

Picking up a new set of wheels to finish it off tomorrow, I deserve them, I've been riding it as it came from the factory til now...

^^^^^ gorgeous.

Splashed out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

New wheeeeeels! :)

IMAG0213_zpsd3915de7.jpg

Hopefully they'll last longer than the Fulcrum 7's and the Aksiums before them.

Also, not directly to the bike but got some shelves and boxes from ikea and took care of the mess in the tool/spares shed. Now it's all in nice transparent boxes sitting on shelves and some have even labels on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Just put a set of 2014 25mm Specialized Armadillo's on my commuter bike. Was not sure about the fit when I bought them but they fit fine with plenty of clearance. Hopefully they hold up well over the next few months.

Armadillo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Fitted a new set of M540 MTB SPD pedals, Crud Catchers front and rear and a new set of Lizard Skins lock-on grips...

[IMG][/img]IMG_0024_zps55d22088.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0026_zpscfbcdbe2.jpg

[IMG][/img]IMG_0025_zps5ba121f0.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Going through the park and crossing over the road and driver decided to pull onto and stop on the crossing so I was breaking and down shifting. Chain got thrown to the inside and twisted... :mad:

10449920_10152848070803474_3426628263999501649_n.jpg?oh=0c1ae119fa2ab9a6e4b7404453e41990&oe=54CFCBD6&__gda__=1422245167_5c08f8fbeca9afb6715e9cc93d0f9603

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Bought the Saris bike rack and fitted it today. Now to get a suitable bike lock

IMG_20141005_181421.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Rew wrote: »
    Going through the park and crossing over the road and driver decided to pull onto and stop on the crossing so I was breaking and down shifting. Chain got thrown to the inside and twisted... :mad:

10449920_10152848070803474_3426628263999501649_n.jpg?oh=0c1ae119fa2ab9a6e4b7404453e41990&oe=54CFCBD6&__gda__=1422245167_5c08f8fbeca9afb6715e9cc93d0f9603

Nothing to like about that! Hope you had a chain breaker handy? Dose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Put two Maxxis Refuse 28's on for the Nicholas Roche classic, worked really well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

New rear light fir the winter. Probably won't last long in the wet but cool idea for a few euro on eBay.

20141016_193650_zpsppjl3uld.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I built a fixie/single-speed cyclo-crosser this weekend :)

The rear wheel is my first ever wheel build. It's a Miche fixed/free track hub with DT Swiss Competition spokes and an Ambrosio road rim. I wanted to build my own so that i could get a decent fixed/free hub but with a fairly cheap rim. I also thought it'd be fun and it was.

Here's the wheel before tensioning.

IMAG1160.jpg

I've only done about 10k on it so far but it hasn't moved a mm and I'm hopeful that it won't - I read the excellent wheelpro.co.uk wheel-building book and made absolutely sure that there were no twisted spokes or large tension variations.

The fixie/single-speed cyclocrosser is an On-One Pompino frame that was on a great sale price of 120e. It can take 35mm semi-slicks or 32mm knobblies.

I've got Tektro mini-v brakes because I've heard too many bad things about canti-brake stopping power and v-brakes certainly aren't lacking in that. Even if modulation is a bit lacking. Both are good for cyclocross but I like strong brakes on the road.

It has a On-One 42 tooth single-speed chainset and a 1/8" track chain, miche sprocket and free-wheel on the other side. The chain-set and sprocket should give an indentical 42mm chainline. I doubt it's as perfect as the theory but it does look really straight. I went 1/8" chain width as there was a better selection of sprockets in that size. 3/32" would have been fine with me too.

It's got 42/17 fixed or 42/18 free-wheel. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep up with the club group spins on the 42/17. The flat will be grand it's uphills and down-hills that I'm worried about ;)

Here it is part way built
    IMAG1166.jpg

and here's the finished beauty :)

IMAG1176.jpg

I just need to cut the fork when I've a better idea what height I'll want.

Currently running 28mm GP4 Seasons

I thought it looked great and my wife did too until I wrapped it in the spare red bar tape that I had lying around. She then told me it looked like a clown bike!

So I think some new bar-tape is in order :(

Apparently Orange goes with blue, as does Navy. I inquired as to whether Navy isn't actually already blue but had it clarified to me that it isn't. Silver, white or possibly purple are also acceptable. Black too but that might make the bike look a bit dull and while I want it as a fixie winter trainer/SS crosser, I think that it should still be a bit colourful. It is a fixie after all!

Any advice on bar tape colour? Or should I stick with the Clown Bike look :)

You've gone from not ever riding a bike to building your own wheels in a very short amount of time! Superb!

Love the on-one pompino, here's my old one....

38BEA55E-2A07-4142-93DA-86F790AFCE2B-32621-000017D1DDBE5D71.jpg

So today Wolfgang finally replaced his 20 year old legs and errr feet (Shoes? - Sorry my Gadetra is far from fluent) with a set of slicks. It makes my beater look worryingly like something worth stealing...it already turns out good old Wolfgang weighs about half of one of those Funked up Fixie things.

20141027_165726.jpg

The conti tyres also come with Continental's controversial new "Lighting up in the presence of evil function"

20141027_165704.jpg

They're his shoes. And they are lovely. His Wheels are his feet. God :rolleyes: :p. I'm gonna have to do a bike anatomy diagram. It's like no one knows this stuff :pac:

gadetra wrote: »
    They're his shoes. And they are lovely. His Wheels are his feet. God :rolleyes: :p. I'm gonna have to do a bike anatomy diagram. It's like no one knows this stuff :pac:

But but you referred to the Sciroccos on my Tifosi ''as lovely new legs'' I'm starting to question whether Gadetraese is even a consistent language!

But but you referred to the Sciroccos on my Tifosi ''as lovely new legs'' I'm starting to question whether Gadetraese is even a consistent language!

Sirrocco's are the feet and legs. The hubs are the knees, the spokes the upper and lower leg, rims the feet. God do I have to explain everything

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Cleaned up my second hand bike I bought in a bike shop last week. Degreased chain and cassette and cleaned all the gunk on the crankset. The bike was not looked after by previous owner. I washed it down dried it polished the alu frame and it now works like new and looks well. Also cleaned down my winter bike but I always look after that. Sprayed wd40 into all bolts and screws to stop corrosion and then dried the bike and polished it. Great days work down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

After about 4 or 5 attempts I finally removed my BB from my commuter singlespeed. The damn socket kept falling out of the cup every time I put pressure on it
    It was only after a few googles and watching this vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wzA6MsRPJE) did I realise how simple it is to keep it in place - mega D'Oh on my behalf
    Also put a new chain on the bike.
    Well chuffed about the BB - first time to swap one out. Piece of piddle when u know how and have the right tools.

Advertisement