Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Job Seekers after living in Belfast

Options
  • 27-06-2011 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    Looking for advice/feedback.
    Heres my situation, Have worked in ireland and paid PRSI for three years. Last June I moved to Belfast for a 1 year contract. That contract ends today so I will be moving back to my parents house and plan on applying for job seekers.
    Will I still get it even though iv been out of the country for a year?

Also do they check with your employer as part of the application. My contract ends today as I said but last week they made a verbal offer of another temp contract, didnt give me any details about duration or pay and the fact that it was a week before i was due to finish and I had already handed in my notice on my apartment ment I couldnt accept it. I was thinking i would leave that part out of my application but my owrry is that they would check. I would have taken the offer if it had been made earlier but it was far too late. Also personel dept told me today they forgot to update teh system with my finishing date so I wont get my p45 until the end of July. they are sendng me out a letter to that effect but will that affect my application?
    Also I have another job lined up that will start around september but i dont have an offical offer or contract or anything yet, I presume i shouldnt mention that either?
    Im very confused.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

If you were fully employed in the 26 County State in 2009, then you should have the stamps to be able to claim Jobseekers Benefit. There is a general rule that Jobseekers Benefit is paid by the EU state in which you were last employed, but there is an exception to this if you have returned to Ireland for family reasons. See here for full details http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/EU/Euguide/Documents/Part8.pdf

Even if you do not have the contributions, then you are likely to qualify for Jobseekers Allowance (for which you must be considered Habitually Resident). As you only moved out of the State for employment and returned straight away you should satisfy habitual residence. See here for Habibual Residence examples http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/habres_supplement.aspx#sect4
    17. An Irish national was brought up in West Donegal. After completing her education she found work in Derry, and rented a flat there. She has now lost employment after 9 months and has returned to her parents' home in Donegal. She is claiming JA after exhausting her entitlement to UK benefit. She is seeking employment locally or anywhere in Ireland or UK.

HRC is satisfied. Her centre of interest moved to Derry only because of finding employment there. The loss of employment and her decision to base herself at home until new employment is found indicates that her centre of interest is presently again in Donegal.

Jobseekers Allowance is however means tested, and if you are under 25 and living with your parents, their income is assessed. The Allowance rate for those under 25 is also lower than the full Jobseekers Benefit rate (which applies if you were earning over 300 Euro a week in 2009).

Try to get Benefit if you can!

Advertisement