Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

• 12-11-2008 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Reading this board for a number of months from the shadows, interesting to see a lot of the activity is coming from new residents but surely there must be a number of us floating around who remember the Greystones of old. Lets reminisce about the days gone. Hands up if you remember:

Buying the paper at Murphy's
    Groceries at O'Donohues
    Watching Pieter Muller play rugby for Greystones
    The Golf Club burning
    The Woodlands for that matter
    Waiting for somebody to return a flick you want to see to Video World
    When you could buy a record on that same block
    The knitting shop before the pet store
    Queueing 3 maybe 4 hours to see Batman at the Ormonde cinema.
    Quinnsworth selling make your own Pizza's and the entire town eating them
    Remington Steele filming Taffin at Brady's hardware
    The Cherry Blossom was the height of exotic cuisine
    Buying Friday's dinner from the fish factory
    When the shuttle to Bray was more regular and reliable than the Dart today
    When Eugenes was Eugenes
    Getting nothing but petrol from the Esso station besides the complimentary check of your water and oil
    The backwards clock in Jokers
    Lautrex succeeding Cabannas
    Evans Hardware
    When the summer festival included outdoor concerts at the harbour
    When you couldn't as much as fart in the town without everyone knowing about it.
    Sweeneys amusements getting a fancy makeover only to look like the same old kip merely a month later
    Street Fighter 2 at same amusements
    Walking home from Bary after missing the last bus along the cliff walk or train tracks if you were brave(stupid) enough
    The diving board and raft on the south beach
    When the rocks on same beach looked like mountains
    The LaTouche hotel in its glory
    The LaTouch shop in its glory, toys, sweets, C64 games
    Butcher Shops
    Practice wall at the old tennis club
    The original Copper Kettle
    Pitch and Put where there is now park and Ride
    Some funny American game in the park by the Burnaby
    ...and so much more.

So lets hear about the times, places and characters that marked the Greystones of old. Pictures would be the icing if anyone has old ones. As for you blow-ins, keep reading as you may be amazed and amused with what your new home was once like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Wasn't the knitting store Snuffles, some name like that. I was so proud of the Aran sweater she made me :-) even if it was bl**dy itchy.

How about the sweet shop that was in part of what is now the dart station. Remember that?

Or the 13th, as in the hole on the golf course that we all slid down when it snowed, I think the golf club renumbered the holes but I'll always remember it as the 13th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The Shopping Basket & Jokers Takeaway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Scuffles was the name of that shop!!

I remember you went in and gave her measurements and then she knitted the top for you. Even in the 80's it was a dated shop, she would prob clean up now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Before it was the Shopping Basket it was Loves Supermarket. Remember that? Wasn't there a pet shop around the back of it!

When Hills sold petrol on the mainstreet, wasn't it maxol and free a nipper days. My old man always said his car ran really bad with it, said it was russian petrol! He always bought it so it couldn't have been all that bad!

Wasn't the Shell station called Pattersons, we always referred to it as that. A bloke called Billy O'Brien had a car repair place there and then the Shell station was run by Leonard's and there was a tyre place at the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

FirstIn wrote: »
    Before it was the Shopping Basket it was Loves Supermarket. Remember that? Wasn't there a pet shop around the back of it!

When Hills sold petrol on the mainstreet, wasn't it maxol and free a nipper days. My old man always said his car ran really bad with it, said it was russian petrol! He always bought it so it couldn't have been all that bad!

Wasn't the Shell station called Pattersons, we always referred to it as that. A bloke called Billy O'Brien had a car repair place there and then the Shell station was run by Leonard's and there was a tyre place at the side.

The Shell was run by a fella called Pascal Keogh if my memory serves me correctly - and I went to primary school with one of the Love family whose parents owned Loves Supermarket!!!

Remember when Xtravision opened and was on that funny stepped edge bit behind a mad old decorative hedge next to the Shopping Basket?

Also, Jokers was named by my primary school class too (I think in about '85 or '86), one of the lads Dad's was one of the partners and the kids all put ideas for names in.. Joker's was chosen and the Laurel and Hardy branding followed - along with some very suspect burgers in later years!!
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

I remember some dodgy dates on many perishables at the Shopping Basket but had totally forgotten the old sweet shop in the station. The Wham bars, etc used to make the Kilfeather Christmases very happy I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Also there was that strange shop that was opposite the coal merchants (mooneys?) think they are still there but don't do the coal anymore. They were set up for kids in the old tennis club think the shop was called "forget me nots"?

Yip Jokers was set up by Keith Dungan and John Brady (from Bradys hardware) think they sold it then to the italians pretty soon after setting it up. Used to love going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I'm a blow in here only 9 years and a bit, so I only remember these...
    When Eugenes was Eugenes [vaguely]
    Evans Hardware [definitely]
    When the summer festival included outdoor concerts at the harbour (I think)
    The LaTouche hotel in its glory (faded glory)
    Butcher Shops
    Some funny American game in the park by the Burnaby [now in Charlesland]

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AJ1

I remember before the pet shop was there on the corner beside the railway station it used to be a little electrical shop run by a little old woman or the shop to the left of the Ormonde, used to sell funky little torches in there, best of all was walking to St. David's through the fields which is now hillside and heatherview - ah, memories...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

When Hillside was the cornfield.
    The Nissan Classic going through the town (1987 I think).
    Bitz bar in the Woodlands.
    Dodgy spice burgers in Cabanas.
    St Killians Hall
    CSSM
    Bernie Burkes shop in Blacklion now Hassetts
    The old disco bar, now Danns.
    When Watson and Johnson was a Leyland garage.
    The toilets and shop that opened in the summer near the Mens.
    The shelter opposite the Beach House.
    Buying fishing bait from a shed behind the La Touche shop. Think the owners name was Mr Ryan ?
    Getting a 1/4 lb of sweets on a Saturday from the La Touche shop.
    Being able to get in to use the pitch in the Bog for a random kick-about.
    The abbatoir at the bottom of Applewood Heights.
    The Post Office before it moved.
    The Stables for an under-age pint :eek::eek:
    Keatings and Darcy's bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

FirstIn wrote: »
    Or the 13th, as in the hole on the golf course that we all slid down when it snowed, I think the golf club renumbered the holes but I'll always remember it as the 13th.

Lots of memories in this thread.
    That one made me laugh. jeeze did we destroy that hill! Out with the coal sacks and over to the 13th. Lads would still be on it when the snow had melted to slush, and then just muck. Obviously not funny for the golf club but what does a 5/6/7/8 year-old want to know about that!

The back lane down to the CBS and the orchard beside the pitch...
    The little stream on the way up to Delgany(culverted now)...
    The circle where they used to turn the trains around(near the old toilets at south beach)
    The band at the festival always doing the same Buddy Holly and Elvis songs (every year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

The toilets in the harbour that were actual toilets
    The inner harbour would properly fill with water
    A whole lot more penny sweets than the 50p you were paying from the Shopping Basket
    Lucky Dips from Flynns
    Soundz
    Bannons Jewellers
    No thru road on Hillside road
    St.Kevins rain shelter
    The only thing in the whole Charlesland area being the Woodlands
    The electrical shop next to where Murphys was that would sell you a betamax player as "state of the art"
    Only a couple of places to eat!
    sagat wrote:
    Queueing 3 maybe 4 hours to see Batman at the Ormonde cinema.
    yup, and Dicky Tracey film reel going on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crescent

Def remember the golf course in the snow :) the two little bumps at the end of the hill that generally sent you flying off the sled (or black plastic bag that most of us had!)

The grass that you could play on out the back of the La Touche Hotel.

And my favourite, the two goats that used to be in the field that you would take the short cut through after the cinema. There are now houses there so I am not too sure what it is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sylviam

Can anyone remember the name of the disco bar that was in the beach house where Dann's is now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fecker

Beaker selling you petrol at the Shell
    The hole in the shutter at the Cinema..reaching in to borrow a Cornetto or 6

Getting a Ham Shandy round the back of the rugby club during the P'N'R Disco

Blue turtle promotions...mystery Raves.

Pernod & black off Chalie down the Burnaby before it became a pub for Twats (actually that never changed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Getting a Ham Shandy

What the... ???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

sylviam wrote: »
    Can anyone remember the name of the disco bar that was in the beach house where Dann's is now?

The Den
    i remember having to get 4 drinks and the 5th one would be free !

gcgirl wrote: »
    The Den
    i remember having to get 4 drinks and the 5th one would be free !

Wasn't that the name of the pub beside the La Touche, was also called Heroes and had a couple of unsuccesful attempts at being a restaurant.

As for Blue Turtle Promotions, the man behind it (Steve Carroll) would be serving you a pint in the Stables and then serving you your chips from Jokers on the way home !! Seemed to be working everywhere !

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

Ravers flavored vodka in Flynns.
    Max Cider in Flynns.
    Peach champagne cider in Flynns.
    Getting served all the above while in school uniform in Flynns.
    Drinking all the above in Darcys Field.
    Being refused from Lautrex but told to walk off all the drink u just skulled and come back in 20 mins.
    Smuggling chewing gum into junior Lautex.
    Curry being served at the end of the night in Lautrex.
    Somehow not falling over the wall at the cove when hammered after Lautrex.

juanyjuans wrote: »
    Being refused from Lautrex but told to walk off all the drink u just skulled and come back in 20 mins.
    Smuggling chewing gum into junior Lautex.
    Curry being served at the end of the night in Lautrex.
    Somehow not falling over the wall at the cove when hammered after Lautrex.

Leo who used to do the door in Lautrex. All dressed up in his trench coat and giving it the whole 'you're a bit casual tonight'. What a twat !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sylviam

The Byrnes giving 1 free drink for each 4 bought, I doubt that...

The waves crashing over the harbour wall in bad weather. Some great photos in the Beach House bar of these.

Then the whooshing sound of the hole that was put in the harbour to stop the waves crashing over.

Joliegood wrote: »
    CSSM
    The shelter opposite the Beach House.
    The abbatoir at the bottom of Applewood Heights.
    I'm assuming the CSSM is still going, plenty of Catholic kids were sent into it by their mothers before the summer project started up as a way of keeping them busy during the mischief months.

The shelter in the harbour was brilliant, font memories of climbing on top of it.

I always found it very amusing the the abbatoir and vetinary hospital were side by side, no wonder poor pets were terrified of a trip to the vet the stench of dead animals must have been overwhelming for the little buggers.

drag0n79 wrote: »
    The back lane down to the CBS and the orchard beside the pitch...

I dished out and received a kicking or two down that lane after school.
    xshayx wrote: »
    Soundz
    No thru road on Hillside road
    The electrical shop next to where Murphys was that would sell you a betamax player as "state of the art"
    yup, and Dicky Tracey film reel going on fire!

Soundz, I was racking my head trying to remember the name.

Never understood the purpose of that hillside road blockade.

That electrical shop that took 2 weeks to do a little soldering job, I always assumed it was a front for some nefarious activity.

Never heard of the Dick tracey incident but it conjured up a very amusing mental image of a panicked Graham Spurling in a silk dressing gown running with a fire extinguisher.
    Fecker wrote: »
    Getting a Ham Shandy round the back of the rugby club during the P'N'R Disco
    lol-021.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Great thread ...ah the memories..

The Baskervilles posters and great gigs down the stables
    The Swinging Chickens playing down in the stables (singer was a goose)
    The Camel Humps (BMX track when they were building Heathervue)
    The corn fields (where Tesco's is now)
    The lads in Pascal Keoghs using Beaker for dodge ball against the side wall
    Royal Gold at £2 a bottle in John Flynn's
    Summers spent hanging out in the basketball courts in David's
    The smell of pipe smoke in Murphy's when you went in to get a pack of 10
    The look on Joe's face when you had a big win on the pokies down in sweeney's
    Quinn's old house on church road which was derelict and was great for scaring the beejazuz out of you walking through it at night
    Mr. Freezes from Bridie Mooney's and the La Touche
    Hanging out at the UT (Urine Temple)
    Drinking up by the three trout bridge
    Joe's king burger

Great days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Wasn't that the name of the pub beside the La Touche, was also called Heroes and had a couple of unsuccesful attempts at being a restaurant.

Think that was Benningans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

It was Heroes, then Pebble Cove, then Papa Macs

The lads in Pascal Keoghs using Beaker for dodge ball against the side wall
    That is so wrong! :)
    The look on Joe's face when you had a big win on the pokies down in sweeney's
    I didn't think Joe's machines allowed such things to happen.

Remember the Circus used to come to town and would plant itself behind the Beach House, perfect spot parents would dump there kids by the tent with a roll of pound notes and head straight in for a pint. One year some circus was down by the south beach where the playground is now and it had everything including tigers in cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

No, out the front of the La Touche.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Anybody got and Retro photos of Greystones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

There is a good one in Declans Barber shop, circa 1900's I think.

Advertisement