Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disappointing Endings

Options
  • 27-10-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭

Just after sitting through the 1hr11min Tekken Tag Tournament 2 endings video on YouTube, and it got me thinking, aside from Tekken which always had terrible endings, what other games have you played that left you utterly disappointed by the endings?

I know a lot of Mortal Kombat games left me wanting, especially the ones where instead of an ending, you got 3 pictures and a voice over.

Maybe it's just a fighting genre thing.

Obviously, use spoilers if you're going to discuss the ending.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mass Effect 3.

So bad they had to release a DLC to fix it. And even then it wasn't great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Skyrim. Just..terrible. I cant use spoilers on my phone but suffice to say the plot has no impact whatsoever. On anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It would be easier to list the tiny amount of games that actually have good endings. Couldn't count the number of games that simply 'end' in an unconvincing or abrupt manner. Dishonoured was the last game I completed, and while the story wraps up, it's hugely inelegant compared to the tight design of the rest of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ghostbusters on the NES has to be one of the worst, which was reviewed by the AVGN:

Worth watching all of this but skip to 16:45 for the ending.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It would be easier to list the tiny amount of games that actually have good endings. Couldn't count the number of games that simply 'end' in an unconvincing or abrupt manner. Dishonoured was the last game I completed, and while the story wraps up, it's hugely inelegant compared to the tight design of the rest of the game.

Uh oh, I'm currently playing this and now I'm waiting to be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

J. Marston wrote: »

Uh oh, I'm currently playing this and now I'm waiting to be disappointed.

Its not what I would call unsatisfying just very abrupt, to be fair the start is just as clunky too and didn't spoil the game. If it makes you feel any better I went straight back to the start for a second run through and I rarely replay a game unless at least a year has elapsed.

Dragging my post back towards the topic the original Fallout 3 ending is one of the most disappointing endings I have ever encountered, even though it is one of my favourite games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo 2.

We can close the thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Mario Kart......I should be able to lob a red shell at the losers :mad: fml!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Special mention to Heavy Rain.

"Hey, so you remember that scene you were in full control of that confirmed a certain character wasn't the killer? Yeah, so, we sort of lied to you, and that didn't actually happen, even though you saw it happen. We left out the most important part. Surprise!"

Oh **** off back to scriptwriting 101, David Cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

*not a spoiler*

Homefront, I bought it the morning it was released and was finished it in something like 2 maybe 3 hours. I'd fallen for all the hype so I was really looking forward to it, I remember turning to my boyfriend saying "..credits, um this must be the 2nd part of the game coming up", I felt completely ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Deus Ex : HR , being given 3 choices , none of which I cared for.

Final Fantasy 10 . I loved the game, loved it ! , but when I the ending came about...jesus..it was so ridiculous. I hated it, Tidus/Zanarkand/Jecht/SiN ...ugh..even thinking about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Rage.

Ended just like this post.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just to open the discussion a bit. It depends what you consider an ending. A lot of players seem to believe the ending to be a few minutes of uncontrollable video that fills in a few notes.

When I'm playing a game I treat the last level or two as the ending. To use Halo as an example, you knew when you were chucked into a warthog for an epic drive that you were on the ending and I included what you did previously and all that happened while you were driving to be the ending as such because it was the climax to the story for each individual game. You had done what you needed to do with the Halo and were escaping. A few seconds of a cut-scene after you put the controller down is just an extension for me, not THE ending as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

5uspect wrote: »
    Rage.

Ended just like this post.

Immediately sprang to mind when I saw the thread title, it was like a smack in the face with a wet fish and being told "thanks for the money" and being given the finger by the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Half Life
    Bioshock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy XIII-2. I actually liked the ending, it was more the DLC whoring that got to me.
    Metal Gear Solid 2. No explanation necessary.
    Resident Evil 5. Yeah,
    kill off the most compelling character
    in the worst possible way.
    Deus Ex Human Revolution. Pointless filler more than anything else. All 9 endings are just 3 slightly different videos mixed with 3 slightly different voiceovers.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mass Effect 3. Even with the extended cut, it's still ****e. Leaves you feeling very empty.

Deus Ex: HR. Same thing. All that gameplay followed by a single arbitrary multiple-choice, with no impact whatsoever.

The original Deus Ex had a similarly underwhelming ending, entirely determined by your actions in the last half hour alone.

Mass Effect 2 has come closest to having a truly player defined ending, shaped by your choices throughout the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Half Life

i remember just being left with a black screen. did i do something wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Metal Gear Solid 2. No explanation necessary.

I actually thought it was a pretty superb ending. Not the relentless slew of verbal diarrhea between all the final boss fights, but the way the Arsenal Gear section threw into doubt your actions throughout the game. Sure, when you compare it to film or whatever it just seems like overwrought fluff, but I still enjoyed all the little instances of self-reflexivity in MGS2. I thought it was much better than the "Would you kindly" twist in Bioshock. The only problem was when they tried to make a sequel which was largely unnecessary to begin with.

Bioshock's ending was pretty crap. Would have been cooler if they just ended it when
    Fontaine revealed himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I thought the Battlefield 3 ending was terrible. Maybe I just missed something really obvious but I thought it didn't conclude the story at all. In fact, I had more questions after the cinematic than before it.

While this isn't technically an ending, the complete lack of information about what happened between Bad Company 1 and 2 annoys me even more. At the end of the first game, the squad
    goes AWOL again, stealing a U.S. Army truck full of gold ingots in the process.
    At the start of the second game, they're back with the army and now they're also Special Forces. No information about what happened in between at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

calex71 wrote: »
    Immediately sprang to mind when I saw the thread title, it was like a smack in the face with a wet fish and being told "thanks for the money" and being given the finger by the developers.

Im pretty sure that on Id's mission statement. They always give me the impression of a developer thats big on tech innovation but leaves every other facet of the job (especially the "we care about our customers" part) fall by the wayside.

Yeah Rage's ending was a complete joke. They made a semi decent attempt at constructing an FPS with a borderline sensible plot and got good characters and voice actors to present it, and then just ended the game like it was deadline day and they couldnt be arsed anymore. Lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I thought the Battlefield 3 ending was terrible. Maybe I just missed something really obvious but I thought it didn't conclude the story at all. In fact, I had more questions after the cinematic than before it.

While this isn't technically an ending, the complete lack of information about what happened between Bad Company 1 and 2 annoys me even more. At the end of the first game, the squad
    goes AWOL again, stealing a U.S. Army truck full of gold ingots in the process.
    At the start of the second game, they're back with the army and now they're also Special Forces. No information about what happened in between at all.

Battlefield games have single player? :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Halo 2 had a great ending. Tense, good storytelling, great music and of course that great great line. ;) Pity the rest of Halo 2 wasn't very good at all (the weakest in the series IMO).

Worst ending for me, the Lost and the Damned expansion. No big dialogue scene between you and 'him', just run in, blow him up, the end. Big missed opportunity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

dark souls

terrible ending
    even though you have 2 choices i think
    both endings are terrible
    but the game is my favourite game of all time so far :D
    just wish the ending coulda been abit better since all the hard work to reach it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wouldn't know about the ending to Rage, traded it in the day after getting it as it was crap... Maybe i'll finish it if it comes free on PS+ someday...

It's true what ShiverinEskimo said, depends on what you consider an ending. But most games just have a hue battle at the end and some CG (if you're lucky) and the battle itself wouldn't constitute an ending. I know i'll probably get slated for this, but the ending to MW2, where you
    take the knife out of your chest and throw it into yer mans eye
    , that felt like an ending to me, i was part of it, there was an attempt at emotion in it. Granted, not the best ending ever, but a good one imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

saiint wrote: »
    dark souls

terrible ending
    even though you have 2 choices i think
    both endings are terrible
    but the game is my favourite game of all time so far :D
    just wish the ending coulda been abit better since all the hard work to reach it haha

The Dark Souls ending suited the game perfectly imo. It was handled exactly the same way as the rest of the story and lore with plenty to take from it and very much within the tone the game sets.

The constant Debate over which is the good/bad ending is also bizarre. Neither is good nor bad in the scale of things and the choice made is more a reflection on where you think Lordran deserves to go.

Alot is left open to assumption of course;
    Is linking the fire ultimately the right choice? Yes it lifts the curse but it also dooms Lordran to be stuck in the same cycle with nothing really changing. On the other hand becoming the Dark Lord might seem like an Evil option but maybe putting the world back into Darkness is a good thing considering the way things turned out.

An ending that pushes you to ask questions and really think about your decision is a good thing imo and for this reason I think it worked very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

kane and lynch 2 has the worst ending of any game Ive ever played

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

snausages wrote: »
    I actually thought it was a pretty superb ending. Not the relentless slew of verbal diarrhea between all the final boss fights, but the way the Arsenal Gear section threw into doubt your actions throughout the game. Sure, when you compare it to film or whatever it just seems like overwrought fluff, but I still enjoyed all the little instances of self-reflexivity in MGS2. I thought it was much better than the "Would you kindly" twist in Bioshock. The only problem was when they tried to make a sequel which was largely unnecessary to begin with.

Bioshock's ending was pretty crap. Would have been cooler if they just ended it when
    Fontaine revealed himself.

I remember being very disappointed that the whole game was essentially a rehash of it's predecessor and at the end, it even states this outright. There were some nice touches like the weird codec conversations but the whole thing was just so dull and uninteresting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Plus one for Halo 2, closest I've ever come to chucking a controller in all my years of gaming.

The final boss in Bioshock was completely out of place compared to the rest of the game.

For the number of hours I put into both Borderlands games, I've been entirely underwhelmed by both their endings. The sequel improved things mildly but on the whole, noooooooope.

Army of Two was pretty laughable, I
    unknowingly killed the first antagonist with a sniper shot and then the second was killed in a cutscene I had no control over
    . The itself was never anything special but the ending just left a further bad taste.

Mass Effect 3 is a given at this stage.

Advertisement