Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

vasectomy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Never had any pre exam, just booked over the phone and turned up.

He rooted around for a good twenty minutes, it was quite painful and he was concerned at that point but I asked him to proceed with the injection for the local, he agreed somewhat reluctantly.

When he got me on the table and started again he couldn't do what he needed to.

Luckily my wife was with me so he could explain instead of me probably sounding like I'd wussed out, he brought her in and told her the situation.

General anesthetic is still an option, but way more expensive.

Still have that bottle of Scotch to get through though!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I'm booked in for mine on Friday at 1 o clock on morehampton road. Think the itch of the hair growing back is the thing that's worrying me most!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

idnkph wrote: »
    I'm booked in for mine on Friday at 1 o clock on morehampton road. Think the itch of the hair growing back is the thing that's worrying me most!

You'll be fine. He's very good at putting you at ease. The injections DO sting but once they are over you won't feel a thing. You'll leave wondering what you were worried about.

The itching is annoying but only for a week or so. Best of luck!

It was a breeze. The injections were the worst of it. Bit of discomfort but no real pain as of yet.
    Plan on taking it easy today. Gotta try milk it for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Booked in for the new year, can't say I'm looking forward to it but think it's fairer than expecting the missus to take the pill for next 10 or so years with risks associated with them.

This thread is quite reassuring anyway.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone have a recent cost for this please?

long_b wrote: »

€350 in the Celbridge clinic I think, maybe up to €400

long_b wrote:

Some clinics vary in price. Some accept medical card as part of a payment and I found one that covered the total cost on the MC.

Booked in for the new year, can't say I'm looking forward to it but think it's fairer than expecting the missus to take the pill for next 10 or so years with risks associated with them.

I had it done last Friday at 1pm. Pain that evening was not too bad but you do need to rest up for a couple of days.
    The procedure is about 20 mins maximum. The worst part is the anesthetic injection but that's only uncomfortable for a few seconds.
    By Monday my horn had the better of me and I was attacking my missus. Iv had an odd ache in the balls since it was done but it doesn't last long.
    Worst part for me was the hair growth over last couple of days but it seems to have past now.
    No point worrying about it. PM me if you want any more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Anyone have experience of Reproductive choices? http://www.reproductivechoices.ie/vasectomy

Is celbridge the non scalpel one? I don't fancy being out of training for 2-4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Nanoc wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of Reproductive choices? http://www.reproductivechoices.ie/vasectomy

Is celbridge the non scalpel one? I don't fancy being out of training for 2-4 weeks

Depends on the type of training, I suppose. I had the no-scalpel, no-needle version done last July. Reckon I was fine for cycling within the week, but not competitively, just for a bit of exercise. Non-contact stuff would be okay within a week, I'd say. 2-4 (especially the 4) sounds like a worse case scenario, or maybe for something like martial arts??

Depends on the type of training, I suppose. I had the no-scalpel, no-needle version done last July. Reckon I was fine for cycling within the week, but not competitively, just for a bit of exercise. Non-contact stuff would be okay within a week, I'd say. 2-4 (especially the 4) sounds like a worse case scenario, or maybe for something like martial arts??

Mainly swimming, I'm starting a 13 week block of swimming so happy to miss a week or week and half but more and I'd be a bit put off, doing cycling and running training too but don't mind about missing them as easier to catch up on.

Sorry for the posts....Is celbridge non scalpel, I had a look and it seemed to be then read through the website and now unsure...If so think I'll go there in next couple weeks as closer and people here seem happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

So after humming and hawwing about this idea for a while, I'm thinking of going ahead and getting it done soon. Few quick questions..

- What's the "best" version to get done? (sealed/clips etc)
    - It's unlikely at this stage, but in the event I wanted to reverse it sometime down the road how possible is it? Does the choice above affect success rates?
    - Where would you gents recommend in the Dublin/Kildare/Laois area?- preferably closer to the latter two for ease of getting myself home after. On that point, can you drive afterwards (I've an automatic so no clutching at least)
    - Is the likes of Nurofen Plus good enough to handle any pain?
    - What are the waiting lists usually like? Could it all be done in a fortnight for example?
    - Is there a lot of the "are you sure this is what you want?" type of questioning? I'm early 40s and already have 1 little fella who's still young. I think I know what I'm doing :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Kaiser; I had 'The Snip' decades ago, and in england. So, I can't really speak for some of the new methodology I saw discussed, in the first page or two, here.

However, in my own experience:

" - Is the likes of Nurofen Plus good enough to handle any pain? "

What f**king pain?! I got off the table. Walked out to a friends motor. And the lot of us went straight up the road for a sit down meal. Couldn't have done that if I'd just had a tooth out, look! :D

Granted. Next morning, I swung my legs out of bed and Screamed! But, only in shock at the sight of my bollocks: Big and Black! Still no pain though. Not even discomfort.

" - What are the waiting lists usually like? Could it all be done in a fortnight for example? "

I'd imagine so. It really does ~ as has been mentioned above ~ take about twenty minutes, in the door to back out it. Christ, they could process an army in a week!

" - Is there a lot of the "are you sure this is what you want?" type of questioning? I'm early 40s "

They won't even look up at ye face then! Rubber stamp. Bang! Bang! Next! ;)

Incidentally, just for full disclosure: I saw some talk of the anaesthetic jab hurting? Not a bit of it, in my case. (Had my dick pierced, decades later. It was the anaesthetic cream, pumped down the urethra, that made me hold my breath, then)

But, no. Jabs? Never felt a thing. But, twice, as he cut each tube? It felt like he'd spitefully flicked each nut! Not a kick or a punch or anything! God forbid! No. Just enough to make me tighten my stomach and not let on that I'd felt it. Just for a second or two.

Let me put it this way: Another vasectomy? Or a molar taken out? My strides are already down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

I know there are 30 pages here so these might have been answered, does anyone have experience of the IFPA (Dr Willie O Brien...apt!), it is the scalpel method I think but not sure if it's clips or sealed or other. I have had numerous operations and procedures so not worried about that side, just want an experienced practitioner and the 'best' method. I cycle allot so don't want any complications that are avoidable. Any info welcome.

Also do people get yearly sample checks? Any need?

Also do people get yearly sample checks? Any need?

In answer to that one? This was probably the worse part of the whole procedure! I had to leave the wife alone for a week or three, before finally being allowed to do the deed into a sample jar.

They checked that and pronounced me a fully fledged bank firer and good to go. That was it. Dunno about other methods though. I had the complete cut and bro' tie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Has anyone had this done in the primary care centre in Athenry?
    Don't want to name doctors but the website is vasectomy ireland.

It says it is the no scalpel method, just a small incision.

Can anyone advise on what it was like?
    Shaving, anaesthetic, op, pain, post op recovery.
    How soon to run again?

Thanks

Is the scalpel version local or general?

Also, what is the "no needle" thing about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Joe222 wrote: »
    Has anyone had this done in the primary care centre in Athenry?
    Don't want to name doctors but the website is vasectomy ireland.

It says it is the no scalpel method, just a small incision.

Can anyone advise on what it was like?
    Shaving, anaesthetic, op, pain, post op recovery.
    How soon to run again?

Thanks

Yep, I had it done there last July.

The website is quite good for info about shaving, etc. so just have a look on there for the pre-op details.

As for the procedure itself, well naturally enough I was a bit nervous, but the doc (I think his name is John?) was very calm and reassuring. Anaesthetic is applied by a pressure injection rather than a needle. He described as "this will feel like someone snapping an elastic band on your scrotum" and that's exactly what it was like. It was over in a millisecond, not painful. The op itself involves no scalpel, but there obviously has to be some sort of incision! He described it as being like keyhole surgery. I believe he made a small opening and found the tubes through that. Small bit of discomfort while he was doing it, but dull rather than painful. The op part took about 10 minutes. There are no stitches involved, just a small cut that is dressed with a bit of gauze that's held in place by the jock strap. You can take the gauze off the next day for a shower, and in my case there was hardly any blood spot on it at all after 24 hours.

I drove home (15 mins) afterwards, but he did suggest chilling out for a bit before driving just to let any anxiety you might feel go away. I got solpadene and nurofen, and took a couple of each over the 24 hours after the op, but tbh I took them more as a pre-emptive thing than as a reaction to any pain...because I did that, I didn't actually feel much pain at all afterwards. I felt tender for a few days afterwards, definitely wouldn't let the kids climb all over me like normal! But after a week that was gone. I do a small bit of cycling, and I'd say at a push I could have done it after a week, but from memory I think the doc said leave 2 weeks if possible. Not sure about running, but I had no problems walking around after it, so your time off running will depend on how fast you're running!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

I booked my appointment today for 2 weeks time with Dr o'Keefe

How soon could I return to work afterwards? I work in the evenings so would I be able to return to work the same evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

I booked my appointment today for 2 weeks time with Dr o'Keefe

How soon could I return to work afterwards? I work in the evenings so would I be able to return to work the same evening?

It depends what you work at! I have a desk job and returned to work immediately afterwards and was grand. A bit tender down there, but took some pain killers.

Just wondering which clinic in celbridge you guys might have used and if you're happy with the procedure etc.?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I'm getting the job done tomorrow in Reproductive Choices in Dublin.

Has anyone got it done it there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

I'm curious about vasectomys in general. I'm undecided about geting one done, I'm just gathering info. Although, I'm still in my (late) 20's. Im curious about what kind of resistance I'd get if I tried to get it done.

Also, I'd like to freeze some samples on the off chance I change my mind at a later date. Is that possible?

Froshtbit wrote: »
    Also, I'd like to freeze some samples on the off chance I change my mind at a later date. Is that possible?

Just some randomer on the internet. But; My mate has 'straws' ~as they call it ~ of one of his Dogs sperms stored. So, yeah, the technology's been around since the year dot.

Probably better off googling or ringing a clinic though, with such a concise question?

Perhaps bring ye findings back here to share? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Got the job done last Friday. Still in a lot of pain and still swollen. I started to take dyphine yesterday.

Is this normal ?

SCOL wrote: »
    Is this normal ?

Any of us ~ unless experienced medic's, familiar with the procedures and their outcomes ~ can only speak from our own, single experiences, Scol.

Speaking from my own? Hell, No!!! :eek:

I'd be ringing the clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

SCOL wrote: »
    Got the job done last Friday. Still in a lot of pain and still swollen. I started to take dyphine yesterday.

Is this normal ?
    Pain wise not for me anyway but the swelling yes...mine only started to bruise after about day 3...while I wasn't in bad pain I did experience discomfort for a number of weeks which concerned me , I contacted the clinic at the time and was told it was perfectly normal and everyone is different recovery wise.
    No harm in contacting clinic if you are worried...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 RoHS

One for Wexford/Waterford users.
    Has anyone had it done with Vasectomy South East or Enniscorthy/Whitemill Medical Centre?
    Looking to get it done in the next few weeks but just wanted to get some feedback on the above.
    Thanks

Advertisement