Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Shipyard, the quality just dosn't seem to be there, I remember the beer being thin and lacking any malt hop character, the label looked terrible and the bottle was light and seemed flimsy (of course those things wouldn't matter if the beer was any use). Anyone agree or am I just being picky?

That's pretty much my memory of trying a Shipyard beer-but I couldn't be sure because I deleted it from my memory - too many good beers to remember!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Just drinking two bottles of my Coopers Canadian Blonde homebrew.

It's been conditioned for nearly four weeks now.
    It's nice, the head is great and the taste is decent. It's quite a lager style/tasting drink, which is ok, although I'm not a fan of lager.

On my second bottle and feeling the effects lol. Much nicer than Heineken, Carlsberg and Budweiser though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Thick As A Brick

Workin my way through a few cans of Karpackie, sure it's cheap an cheerfull but it's making me fart like a trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

pints of porter from messr's maguires in dublin,only 4euro a pint which for city centre is good!had to try it after the auldx fella kept goin on about it,he drinks nothin but guinness but had a few of these when he was up visiting my sister and loved them!very easy to drink,before i knew it i had the first one gone and had to have another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Jazus... Just finished a 1LT bottle of captain morgan original spiced gold with caribbean rum with my mix of cola which i received earlier as a present and i'm still sober but i have to say,...it is a beautiful drink once it is encapsulated with very chilled cola.. hopping onto the huge expanse of the white-head of tuborg now and i have to say the Beer tuborg encombers itself with a huge white head so i've gone to the canopy on the left here and open a nice bottle of gin which is 1 year old so here goes... ;)

Happy christmas folks wake me at 12:30. thanks over and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Staropramen Velvet - lovely beer actually. Slightly creamy in a Kilkenny way.
    A good beer if you don't want anything strong ad goes well with a burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Staropramen Velvet - lovely beer actually. Slightly creamy in a Kilkenny way.
    A good beer if you don't want anything strong ad goes well with a burger.

Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Hogzy wrote: »
    Where did you buy it?

Prague I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Prague I'm afraid.

:(
    Damn it to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

flas wrote: »
    pints of porter from messr's maguires in dublin,only 4euro a pint which for city centre is good!had to try it after the auldx fella kept goin on about it,he drinks nothin but guinness but had a few of these when he was up visiting my sister and loved them!very easy to drink,before i knew it i had the first one gone and had to have another!

Had a few Guinness there about 2 weeks ago, and tbh they weren't all that great. Very soft imo, had a yellow head pretty quickly, so had to be drunk fast....Maybe it was just the night in question but I wasn't impressed by it.

Tonight tried Smithwicks Pale Ale in a bottle for the 1st time.
    It's ok I suppose, nothing special, but its drinkable and not the worst thing I've ever had. I'd probably try it again, draft preferably though.

Now drinking O'Shea's Traditional Irish Ale. It's got a wonderful caramel flavour and is a delight to drink.....pity I only bought one for tonight! :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Mossin wrote: »
    Had a few Guinness there about 2 weeks ago, and tbh they weren't all that great. Very soft imo, had a yellow head pretty quickly, so had to be drunk fast....Maybe it was just the night in question but I wasn't impressed by it.

It's ok I suppose, nothing special, but its drinkable and not the worst thing I've ever had. I'd probably try it again, draft preferably though.

Now drinking O'Shea's Traditional Irish Ale. It's got a wonderful caramel flavour and is a delight to drink.....pity I only bought one for tonight! :o

Him self and his auld lad weren't drinking Guinness (a stout) they were drinking Messr's own Porter (a porter not a stout).

Smithwicks pale ale is piss, don;t bother going back, get a hooker, metalman or o'hara's pale ale.

O'Shea's red is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I have a fair few gripes with Messrs and this is one of them, for some reason even the most senior barstaff dump the glass straight on the drip tray and stand there watching it fill with their hands in their pockets, as a result most of the younger staff do the exact same thing. Theres no science behind pouring draught beer but warm glasses and not keeping an eye on what your doing dooms the pint to be terrible. That and the fact their 'craft beer bar' downstairs is never open and smells like urinal cakes.

Anyway, tonight I had started with a Thornbridge Raven to celebrate its success in the World Beer Awards, followed by a Hilden Twisted Hop and Barney's Brew, which were both lovely (especially the Barney's Brew). Love the new labels too...
    124dmvm.jpg

I finished with a Spaten Oktoberfestbier, the closest I'll get to Oktoberfest this year, and was underwhelmed by its lageryness, but can see the appeal if dressed appropriately with a pretzel in one hand and a litre of it in the other ;)

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I finished with a Spaten Oktoberfestbier, the closest I'll get to Oktoberfest this year, and was underwhelmed by its lageryness,

In fairness, oktoberfestbier's are Marzens, which are just a type of lager, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

The Hofbrau oktoberfestbeir seems to be the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Mainly drinking spaten Oktoberfest at the mo as well.. Dangerously easy to drink..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

flas wrote: »

as seaneh pointed out it wasnt guinness but their own porter i was drinking!only really started drinking stout in the last year and i like trying as many as i can find!i really like o'haras(cant remember which one it was i was drinking) but the one i got used to drinking was plain from porterhouse,its only up thd road so would be where i would drink mostly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Had a bottled Guinness for the first time there. Very tasty, imo, tasted a lot more ale-y than the draught version. Solid beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Having a Twisted Hop - very palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Heroditas wrote: »
    Having a Twisted Hop - very palatable.

I love that beer!

Where did you get it?

This week I have mostly been drinking....

Nothing.

****ing antibiotics...

I shall make up for it by spending 30 minutes between Tesco, O'Briends and McCambridges this thursday stocking up on Stouts, Porters, Brown ales and any other beers I feel suit the season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Seaneh wrote: »
    they were drinking Messr's own Porter (a porter not a stout).

And the difference between the two?

Does Dark Arts become a Stout when you enter O'Neill's and they serve it Nitro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Des wrote: »

Historically gravity and location London favoured the used of brown malt with pale and black for porters with some used of amber malt for stout porters. Dublin favoured Amber malt with pale and black malts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

oblivious wrote: »

Historically gravity and location London favoured the used of brown malt with pale and black for porters with some used of amber malt for stout porters. Dublin favoured Amber malt with pale and black malts

Best place southside to purchase Hilden??

Fart wrote: »
    I love that beer!

Where did you get it?

Popped into Drinkstore.ie on Friday and picked it up there.
    However, they also have it in Carry Out in Rathborne. The other Carry Out stores may have it as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

McHughs also have it. Picked up some of that and Barneys Brew the other day.

Does Dark Arts become a Stout when you enter O'Neill's and they serve it Nitro?

oblivious wrote: »

As above but also for me, now, it's more about flavour profile, carbonation level and body.

You can make anything "creamy" with nitrogen but stouts still, out of a bottle, just have more body than porters.

Pour a bottle of guinness or belfast black or St. Peters stout or hookborton double and a bottle of say, dark arts or Fullers london porter or Sierra Nevada porter, anchor porter or odell cutthroat and you will get the picture.

The likes of say a guinness will be almost pitch black and will have more roasted flavours, maybe coffee and dark chocolates and will generally be a lot fuller boddied.

Porters will be more caramelly and biscuity, the colour will have a lot more light penetration and be more dark brown/ruby red through out and it will be a lot less bodied (waterier isn't exactly accurate).

Porters tend to have a higher carbonation level too, with a lot of modern porters having what's described as a "prickly" mouth feel by a lot of people.

I know historically the difference was just that stouts were "stout porters" ie, higher gravit, but these days they have evolved into two different styles.

If you wanted to get technical, they are all just dark ales really.
    And saying "stouts and porters are the same" is pretty much saying "stouts and pale ales are the same thing".
    The only difference between a pale ale and a stout is the malts and hops used.

Which also tends to be the difference between a stout and a porter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

As far as I can see porter and stout are interchangably used by breweries and can only really be differentiated if a brewery is producing both.

Meantime for example brew both a stout and a porter, the stout is 4.5% and the porter 6.5% http://www.meantimebrewing.com/our-beers. Their porter is supposedly hoppier but also with a fuller mouthfeel.

A quick google shows Mikkeller have also produced both a dry stout (4.1%) and a porter (8%).

To say that a bottle of Dark Arts has less roasted, coffee and chocolate flavours or more carbonation then a bottle of Guinness isn't true from my experience of those two beers either.

*This post from the Beernut has a link to an article about it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77431446&postcount=3132

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

If you wanted to get technical, they are all just dark ales really.
    And saying "stouts and porters are the same" is pretty much saying "stouts and pale ales are the same thing".

Which also tends to be the difference between a stout and a porter ;)

Not dark ale, stouts and porters where always beer. But the modern definition is really dependent on the brewer
    Pour a bottle of guinness or belfast black or St. Peters stout or hookborton double and a bottle of say, dark arts or Fullers london porter or Sierra Nevada porter, anchor porter or odell cutthroat and you will get the picture.

All of those example listed except fuller lobndon porter (as it a historical roots to the early 20th for that recipe) are purely derived from what the brewers consider a stout or porter to be and yes that includes Guinness as that really a product of the 1970's

But again it comes back to a name, there was and is still one brewed, a pale stout when stout really just means bigger

The beer historian Martin cornell did a bit of research into the a few years back

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/so-what-is-the-difference-between-porter-and-stout/

“One of the top 10 questions people who end up at this site put into search engines such as Google is a query about how to distinguish between porter and stout, something I’ve not actually tackled head-on yet. So – what difference is there between the two beers?
    Er …
    None.”

Not now, anyway, not in any meaningful way.”

And one of his conclusions if there is any really difference

“I suspect that when a brewer brews something today he or she calls “stout” this is simply meant to mean that it will be a dark beer, while if it is named “porter”, the beer is very probably meant to be making a nod at an idea of authenticity”

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

stouts still, out of a bottle, just have more body than porters.

It would be an interesting thing to test blind. I don't think you'd get the picture at all if you didn't know in advance which was "stout" and which was "porter".

BeerNut wrote: »
    It would be an interesting thing to test blind. I don't think you'd get the picture at all if you didn't know in advance which was "stout" and which was "porter".

You could do the same with pale ale and IPA in fairness.

I'd imagine you could do similar with a lot fo hoppy red ales and american style amber ales too.

• Advertisement

Having a Dark Arts tonight. For some reason it doesn't seem to be hitting the spot as much recently.
    I have a horrible feeling it's due to me drinking a lot stronger stouts/porters of the Imperial variety!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement