Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Another one bits the dust:
    CORRIE favourite Sue Johnston is quitting as battleaxe Gloria Price.
    The actress, 69, wants to work on other shows and has told ITV bosses she will leave when her deal ends at Christmas.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/4976310/I-cant-Corrie-on-says-TV-Sue.html#ixzz2Wjs9LcLz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

"Corrie favourite"?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Jikashi wrote: »
    Today's nappy antics got me wondering, which do people here prefer? Steve McDonald in a centric serious storyline, or the other-plots-onlooking-with-noreal-plot-of-his-own comic relief clown he appears to have become of late a la Norris, Brian, Beth?

Over the past few years a serious Steve-centric plot has also been Tracey-centric, and I think most people agree, less Tracey the better. I like Steve and happy go lucky suits him.
    "Corrie favourite"?....

Thats exaggerating it somewhat, in that most people hate her character.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

With Gloria leaving, Karl's storyline has to come to an end soon (my money's on September when the wedding is) then with Liz Mc Donald coming back I wonder will this be the end for Stella also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Alicat wrote: »
    "Corrie favourite"?....

Favourite actress, def not favourite charactor

• Advertisement

Duvetdays wrote: »
    With Gloria leaving, Karl's storyline has to come to an end soon (my money's on September when the wedding is) then with Liz Mc Donald coming back I wonder will this be the end for Stella also?

Prefer Stella to Liz, especially if/ when she gets rid of Karl and goes wild for the toy boys again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I suspect Karl's story will come to an end in September. He was given another 6mth contract, Christmas is too far off. However in reading that
    Gloria will be leaving at Christmas, I have to wonder if Karl will murder her:):):). Maybe he'll get a few months extension

It's daft the way Kylie didn't cop on that David knew something. What sort of a half wit is she??????? On the subject of Kylie, I can't believe what a likeable young one she's become compared to the way she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

They said they're leaving the door open for Gloria's return so maybe she'll just go to Spain again.

Chucken wrote: »
    Tina and the cornflakes :rolleyes: Such a donation to the household!

Yeah!! I was thinking the same..and then drawing attention to the fact that she got a family box:rolleyes:. She should've left them in the kitchen and said nothing ffs! The fact that she said it must mean that she hasn't contributed any other way. Much and all as Rita cares about her, it's stupid to suggest giving her the money to fight to keep the child, especially when she knows Tina is doing the wrong thing.

Ann22 wrote: »
    On the subject of Kylie, I can't believe what a likeable young one she's become compared to the way she was.

Thats a common occurrence on the street. When the battersby's arrived they were 'ard as nails. BY the time Les left he was beer drinking, Status Quo dancing, happy go lucky sort of fella, and Leanne was running her own restaurant.

When the Windasses arrived they were 'ard as nails with the very dodgy 'ard as nails uncle. Now the uncles not been seen in a longtime. Eddie is working in Germany, Anna adopted the terror, and Gar-eh fought for his country.

When Fizz first arrived on the street she made some daft allegations against Roy and Haley. Then they decided they liked her and decided to keep her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Alicat wrote: »
    "Corrie favourite"?....

took the words out of my mouth :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jikashi wrote: »
    Today's nappy antics got me wondering, which do people here prefer? Steve McDonald in a centric serious storyline, or the other-plots-onlooking-with-noreal-plot-of-his-own comic relief clown he appears to have become of late a la Norris, Brian, Beth?

I dearly love Steve, such a likeable character. I was annoyed with him a lot though in the Becky/Tracy/storylines. He should've taken Becky's side more for defo. in the role he's playing now, the light-hearted one, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

I remember a thread on Afterhours a few years ago, about what three people you'd want to be stranded with on a desert island. One fella said Steve McDonald:D..he hastily denied any homosexual leanings but just that he seemed like a top bloke. I totally got where he was coming from. His girlfriend/wife once said that he acts exactly like Steve in real life. What a joy to have him around the house:).

syklops wrote: »
    Thats a common occurrence on the street. When the battersby's arrived they were 'ard as nails. BY the time Les left he was beer drinking, Status Quo dancing, happy go lucky sort of fella, and Leanne was running her own restaurant.

When the Windasses arrived they were 'ard as nails with the very dodgy 'ard as nails uncle. Now the uncles not been seen in a longtime. Eddie is working in Germany, Anna adopted the terror, and Gar-eh fought for his country.

When Fizz first arrived on the street she made some daft allegations against Roy and Haley. Then they decided they liked her and decided to keep her.

Sometimes I wonder if the soap writers think we have very short memories. All soaps do it though(eg Billy Mitchell from a psycho bully to the likeable idiot he is now).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Another one bits the dust:
    CORRIE favourite Sue Johnston is quitting as battleaxe Gloria Price.
    The actress, 69, wants to work on other shows and has told ITV bosses she will leave when her deal ends at Christmas.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/4976310/I-cant-Corrie-on-says-TV-Sue.html#ixzz2Wjs9LcLz

Corrie Favourite is a bit of a push.

I am glad to see her gone though. I've never been a fan and if she could take her daughter with her I'd be quite happy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Sometimes I wonder if the soap writers think we have very short memories. All soaps do it though(eg Billy Mitchell from a psycho bully to the likeable idiot he is now).

i don't think its that, i think its like

- they write a bad ass character
    - they come in wreck havoc
    - the actor decides to stick around a bit longer (aka not be killed off or leave)
    - character transformation must occur to get the viewers on side

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Prefer Stella to Liz, especially if/ when she gets rid of Karl and goes wild for the toy boys again.

I didn't like Liz either. A lot of folk seem to be delighted about her return, I wonder do they forget how annoying she can be and are just enjoying a little bit of nostalgia? She was horrible to Becky and Michelle, an overbearing, domineering mother to Steve. Her smirky face when she thought someone fancied her was sooo annoying!!

I didn't like Liz either. A lot of folk seem to be delighted about her return, I wonder do they forget how annoying she can be and are just enjoying a little bit of nostalgia? She was horrible to Becky and Michelle, an overbearing, domineering mother to Steve. Her smirky face when she thought someone fancied her was sooo annoying!!

What did I ever do to you? :(

Seriously though, it's laughable that they're bringing her back after having such a big fanfare when she left.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i don't think its that, i think its like

- they write a bad ass character
    - they come in wreck havoc
    - the actor decides to stick around a bit longer (aka not be killed off or leave)
    - character transformation must occur to get the viewers on side

That's why they do it for sure but they still must think either we've short memories or they just think we'll get swept along with the stories and decide to accept the new changes (which is what happens most of the time actually).

LizT wrote: »
    What did I ever do to you? :(

:D

A lot of folk seem to be delighted about her return,

She's coming back?

Are you for real?

:eek:

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    She's coming back?

Are you for real?

:eek:

Get with the times, that's old news :rolleyes:

Get with the times, that's old news :rolleyes:

Yeah, just googled it.

I was busy that day :D

I can't believe she is coming back. Can they not just introduce some new heads instead of reviving the oldies?

Seriously though, it's laughable that they're bringing her back after having such a big fanfare when she left.

It was the same for Bet Lynch. She stepped off the cobbles for the final time. ANd then she came back. And then she stepped off the cobbles for the final time, and then she came back. How many times we saw a scene with her leopard print paraphernalia in a taxi and her looking out the windows wistfully. Ta-raa chuck! And then a few years go by and she is back.

Remember the disaster it was when they brought back Bet? It was bordering on embarrassing. I don't like Liz either - McDonald - not your good self LizT ;) - but I really liked poor old Vern, her love interest a few years ago. They should bring back Cilla instead, imagine the stories they could do between herself and Beth?

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    Remember the disaster it was when they brought back Bet? It was bordering on embarrassing. I don't like Liz either - McDonald - not your good self LizT ;) - but I really liked poor old Vern, her love interest a few years ago. They should bring back Cilla instead, imagine the stories they could do between herself and Beth?

Cilla and Beth! Oh that coulld be really good. She would sort out Ches and Katy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Radio5

I dearly love Steve, such a likeable character. I was annoyed with him a lot though in the Becky/Tracy/storylines. He should've taken Becky's side more for defo. in the role he's playing now, the light-hearted one, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

I remember a thread on Afterhours a few years ago, about what three people you'd want to be stranded with on a desert island. One fella said Steve McDonald:D..he hastily denied any homosexual leanings but just that he seemed like a top bloke. I totally got where he was coming from. His girlfriend/wife once said that he acts exactly like Steve in real life. What a joy to have him around the house:).

I think they've just run out of storylines for Steve really and are keeping him as a wallpaper character, in the background of other people's storylines. He's a link to Corrie's past and a family that was once a big part of the Street so I think that's why they keep him on.

He's been married 4 times and divorced from all of them, had the Tracy/ Amy sagas which went on and on forever, he's gone from being a t-shirt maker to property developer, to pub landlord to taxi owner, & once lived in the same posh apartment block as Mike Baldwin did back in the day. He nearly died at least once and nearly crippled his dad (so he did son).

I'd say they've run out of things to do with him other than stick him as the henpecked male in the middle of the Liz v Michelle battle ( Again :rolleyes: ).

Radio5 wrote: »

I'd say they've run out of things to do with him other than stick him as the henpecked male in the middle of the Liz v Michelle battle ( Again :rolleyes: ).

I really hope that doesn't happen.

Michelle is consistent. A solid character and required on the Street. As is Steve frankly. I am glad to see them both back together again and just plodding along. Isn't that what most of us do afterall !

MugMugs wrote: »
    I really hope that doesn't happen.

Michelle is consistent. A solid character and required on the Street. As is Steve frankly. I am glad to see them both back together again and just plodding along. Isn't that what most of us do afterall !

Only most of us dont get to plod along with Kim March by our side. Swit-swoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

There was a scene last week(?) where Gloria asked Deirdre about her hair. She couldnt remember the word she was looking for, then said she always pictured Deirdre with a perm.

Considering she wasnt living on the street in Deirdres perm days (but of course we shouldnt remember that ;)) I was wondering if they're going to build this piece up to her getting alzheimer's

• Advertisement

Catch yourselves on. What about ya? Any chance they'll give Jim early release? That is great news about Elizabeth, so it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement