Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronation Street [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mayo Gurl wrote: »
    "It was in the board, Steve. Come on, play the white man"??? Some sort of darts term? Yer wan jumps onto it very prematurely anyway....

Yes I thought it was something along those lines, how is that racist :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

"It was in the board, Steve. Come on, play the white man"??? Some sort of darts term? Yer wan jumps onto it very prematurely anyway....

Play the white man is a term used in parts of England meaning to be decent and trustworthy in one's actions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_the_white_man

I never heard it before....thankfully!

I have zero idea how that is taken as racist because Jenna (couldn't remember her name for the life of me!) literally touches the bar and hears Paul say it and starts giving out to him. She just about catches "white man" looking at the clip. I hope Eileen and himself ride off into the sunset on the back of a fire truck soon.

I have zero idea how that is taken as racist because Jenna (couldn't remember her name for the life of me!) literally touches the bar and hears Paul say it and starts giving out to him. She just about catches "white man" looking at the clip. I hope Eileen and himself ride off into the sunset on the back of a fire truck soon.

Did you read the wiki link in my post? Its kind of obvious why its racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Liking the evil David return. Poor old Roy and Hayley.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »

I read your link just there, what I took from the scene was that she just came in and heard the words "white man" and was touchy about it? I took it up wrong, have never heard that expression up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Did Leanne really ask Stella last night was she pregnant. She must be well into her 50s...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭guernica

She must be well into her 50s...

I think she's supposed to be 50 - I remember her moaning about being 50 with no fella to Jason and sure we all know how that worked out.

Michelle Collins is 51 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

guernica wrote: »
    I think she's supposed to be 50 - I remember her moaning about being 50 with no fella to Jason and sure we all know how that worked out.

Michelle Collins is 51 I think.
    Did Hayley say last night that she is 47,she looks about 60:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

LizT wrote: »

Thanks for that LizT..that was deadly:). Can guess Tina will give the child back and will be involved in the David/Kylie/Nick storyline as his sounding board.

Dislike Rob intensely so hope he doesn't get the upper hand with Peter.

That bit with tiny Paul. What did he say? 'Play the white man':confused:? Wtf does that mean? Was a bit daft the way Jenna turned her head so quickly. In reality, it would take a few seconds to absorb what he said (but maybe that's just me:o).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

No its not obvious why its racist. Most of whats in that wiki link is conjecture. The only fact is it used to be used in parts of England meaning to be honest. Using that as a basis for a racial story line is a stretch.

syklops wrote: »
    No its not obvious why its racist. Most of whats in that wiki link is conjecture. The only fact is it used to be used in parts of England meaning to be honest. Using that as a basis for a racial story line is a stretch.

That insinuates that only the white man is honest. If you google it, one of the 1st links that comes up is on stormfront and those boys certainly use it as a rascist remark. As I said, I never heard it being used before.

That insinuates that only the white man is honest. If you google it, one of the 1st links that comes up is on stormfront and those boys certainly use it as a rascist remark. As I said, I never heard it being used before.

It insinuates. Again a bit of a stretch.
    At the end of the day its a phrase seemingly no-one on this board has heard before. The wikipedia entry is flimsy and its only reference is an American publication, and it is in the category of racial stereotype. Urban Dictionary defines the phrase as to behave in a fair and acceptable manner with no racial undertones.

Speaking of stormfront did you read the link that comes up when you google it?

Here it is:
    Does anyone remember this expression? I remember it being used a lot in the days before political correctness. It was used as an encouragement towards decent behaviour. eg: If someone was slow in paying back a loan you'd say "come on, play the white man, pay what you owe" or as a variation if you suspected someone of cheating you'd say "come on, play the white mans game" Meaning to play honestly.

Even a storm fronter mentions it was used before political correctness came in.

Aside from having the word white in it, it doesn't seem to have any obvious racial slurs in it.

I'm not getting at you, I just think this storyline is stupid and its off to a bad start by using a phrase that seemingly few people here have heard.

EDIT: Having done some more googling, there are a few spoilers and blog posts about a racial storyline that is set to rock the cobbles with it seemingly splitting the street down the centre, some thinking its all a fuss about nothing and some thinking it a serious racial slur so maybe the way it has been portrayed is meant to split people into two different camps. So maybe the writers deserve some credit.

Apologies if my comments have caused any insult, that was not my intent.
    I still stand by my opinion that using a phrase very few people are familiar with is a silly idea. Im assuming this is all to expedite Pauls exit from the street.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Thanks for that LizT..that was deadly:). Can guess Tina will give the child back and will be involved in the David/Kylie/Nick storyline as his sounding board.

Dislike Rob intensely so hope he doesn't get the upper hand with Peter.

That bit with tiny Paul. What did he say? 'Play the white man':confused:? Wtf does that mean? Was a bit daft the way Jenna turned her head so quickly. In reality, it would take a few seconds to absorb what he said (but maybe that's just me:o).

Tina cheats on Tommy with David and becomes pregnant :P only speculating folks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Am I the only one that was a bit freaked out by the whole David keeping stump thing?

Notwithstanding the fact he was SERIOUSLY restrained with Norris (despite letting his phone ring like a pleb) if it was me, despite the fact that Max drew me a picture, I'd have picked that girl apart and then Gail!

You've basically just had a wrecking ball to your entire life by pretty much every person you hold dear to yourself and he manages to go away for their Cosy evening in Cheshire?

Christ on a bike! :eek:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Tina cheats on Tommy with David and becomes pregnant :P only speculating folks

God forbid!!:eek::D

MugMugs wrote: »
    Am I the only one that was a bit freaked out by the whole David keeping stump thing?

Notwithstanding the fact he was SERIOUSLY restrained with Norris (despite letting his phone ring like a pleb) if it was me, despite the fact that Max drew me a picture, I'd have picked that girl apart and then Gail!

You've basically just had a wrecking ball to your entire life by pretty much every person you hold dear to yourself and he manages to go away for their Cosy evening in Cheshire?

Christ on a bike! :eek:

Def more exciting for the viewer knowing he knows her their dirty little secret. Building up to a good climax. Oh i can't wait for that annoying uppity hag that is Leanne to find out. She thinks her relationship with Nick is so perfect, laughing and turning her nose up at Carla and Peter and Stella and Karl.

That clip showed Eileen saying she was ashamed of Paul. Is it his extra tinyness beside her, the fact that he's been wearing the same little pointy collared, zippy up jacket in hail, rain, snow or sunshine this ages? Or perhaps he does turn out to be racist...hard to believe it of him, you'd think Eileen would've noticed it before now.

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Def more exciting for the viewer knowing he knows her their dirty little secret. Building up to a good climax. Oh i can't wait for that annoying uppity hag that is Leanne to find out. She thinks her relationship with Nick is so perfect, laughing and turning her nose up at Carla and Peter and Stella and Karl.

David is going to try and convince Nick that Leanne is cheating on him with Peter and that Peter trashed his flat

To be fair Leanne is dead right on Stella and Karl though

Ann22 wrote: »
    hard to believe it of him, you'd think Eileen would've noticed it before now.

Considering Jason is dark, we would surely have seen this before. Smacks too much of "I hear you're a rascist now Father Paul"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

David is going to try and convince Nick that Leanne is cheating on him with Peter and that Peter trashed his flat

Leanne has been so spiteful to so many people in the past, wrongly accusing people so many times that she is bound to get it right eventually.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Leanne has been so spiteful to so many people in the past, wrongly accusing people so many times that she is bound to get it right eventually.

Yeah she is right about them but her whole attitude is that of a spoilt brat. She gave her mother her advice and her opinion. Stella is old enough to make her own mistakes, Leanne should just stand back and if /when it all falls apart be there for her mother. But knowing Leanne it will all be 'i told ya so'.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

anyone else notice how awful ryan's short sleeved wine jumper with what looked like pearls on them is??!?! (or am I just having a slow news night?!?!!)

How deluded is Katy :rolleyes: Ches needs to move on with Beth's niece

She only took a proper dislike to Karl 'cos he gave Our Si a clip round the ear or something for being a little bollix to Dev's kids. I'm not warming easily to Leanne these days. She irritates me the way she clip clops about. She must take tiny steps to squeeze in the amount of clip clops she makes in a scene.

I heard Michelle pronouncing Jo-zef properly, it did my heart good. I feckn hate 'Jo-zef'! Horrible accent that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Steve showing Ryan how to change a nappy? Somehow I dont think he will put that skill to use for too long.....me thinks:D.

I never saw Steve doing it himself anyhow, or are we suppose to pretend to assume that he has?

jimmyw wrote: »
    Steve showing Ryan how to change a nappy? Somehow I dont think he will put that skill to use for too long.....me thinks:D.

I never saw Steve doing it himself anyhow, or are we suppose to pretend to assume that he has?

Steve must have changed nappies. Amy lived with him when she was a baby.

Tina and the cornflakes :rolleyes: Such a donation to the household!

jimmyw wrote: »

He has a daughter, and he wasn't with her mother when she was very young, so its entirely plausible he had to do it. Also, his approach for how to do it was perfect.

While we are on that, how many people have you seen changing nappies on Corrie? Even kat-eh goes into Ryans bedroom to change Jo-zef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Today's nappy antics got me wondering, which do people here prefer? Steve McDonald in a centric serious storyline, or the other-plots-onlooking-with-noreal-plot-of-his-own comic relief clown he appears to have become of late a la Norris, Brian, Beth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Jikashi wrote: »
    Today's nappy antics got me wondering, which do people here prefer? Steve McDonald in a centric serious storyline, or the other-plots-onlooking-with-noreal-plot-of-his-own comic relief clown he appears to have become of late a la Norris, Brian, Beth?

I saw a hint of the old Reg Holdsworth in Steve as he was making his pronouncement at the bar afterwards. He even had the nod of the head. I think it suits him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement