Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stock recommendations & ideas.

Options
  • 02-09-2014 11:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some opinions, recommendations and ideas.

As some of you may know i got the Father an AICS stock for his Remmy 5R Mil-Spec. He was bugging me for ages for one so i finally bit the bullet (no pun intended) and got him one.

I was half concerned because while he has seen them on others guns and even fired a gun or two with them on i didn't think he realised just what he was getting into. Still i was able to get it for him so did. The AICS stock is brilliant. No doubt. They are robust, versatile, etc. However it comes with one drawback. Weight. Now for a lot of people this wouldn't be an issue, but for a rifle that will spend the majority of it's life hunting rather than on a range it's a consideration.

Role on yesterday morning. The first real test of the rifle since he got he stock. After a morning and evening stalk, both lasting approx. 8 hours he has found that the rifle, combined with the sticks, bins, rangefinder, etc. is a load to carry. The rifle with it's barreled action, scope, rings, and stock comes in at approx. 13lb. Now in fairness the stock is not the only issue. The barreled action (heavy/bull barrel profile), scope, etc are a weight too. On their own they are 7lb or a tad more. So picking a stock that would function as he needs/wants but will not make it overweight is a challenge. However it needs addressing, and he'll never part with the barreled action so the stock is all i can think to look at.

So with all this said he is making grumblings about changing already. God forgive me, but no good deed goes unpunished. A lot of money, for the AICS, effectively down the drain.

I have looked at GRS, H&S, and a few other manufacturers, and made a couple of calls yesterday afternoon to Irish stock makers to see if they could make him something. I'm awaiting a return call. I've no interest in Boyd's stock. Also i gave the H&S precision stock, including hinged floor plate and mag well/box, that was on the gun to a friend which means i have no trigger guard or floor place/spring or mag box/well. So whatever i go for needs to have the complete stock including a hinged floor plate, or detachable mag, trigger guard, etc. IOW a drop in stock. I was even considering leaving the Savage stock i have for sale down to the likes of Pat Sludds and have him alter and bed it.

So what i'm looking for are people's opinions, thoughts, ideas, etc. on a replacement.

Cheers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

I recently got a Remmy 700 in a McMillan A2 stock, lovely stock, considerably lighter than the AICS. The palm swell is very similar to the RPA Interceptor.
    I've only shot it the once and i'm awaiting the sub but if I have it before the weekend ill be on the range with it if you and your father would like to try it out.
    Manners make some lovely looking stocks also including the thumbhole MCS-T5 - mannersstocks.com/tactical-stocks/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Hard to look beyond any of the PSE stocks, especially when you can have input in the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭DMW22

I'm going to say the say as lefthooker and suggest a PSE stock. If your dad is looking for a stick that will do everything from hunting to targets then the Etac would be perfect.
    I'll give you a shout later and if your dad is interested in an Etac what I could do is whip off my Etac and stick it on the milspec and let your dad try it out to see what he thinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Plus one on a PSE stock EDI is one of the nicest gents I've ever delt with and will make a stock that your father will be happy with and you probly will end up with one too

My stock weighs 600 grams which is 1.3 pounds so is very light

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭td5

Another + for PSE stocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Marchscopes.co.uk are selling the
    Krg xray stocks . they use A i mags and weigh around 3lbs.
    They are worth a look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The X-ray one seems good. Not too heavy. Reminds me of Audi. Everything other than the basic model costs extra. The other versions i think are actually nicer, but at 5lb it defeats the purpose of changing. Plus it's not my call.

As for Edi's stock. I've seen and used them and know Edi well. Cannot fault his work, or the stocks, they are excellent. However the McMillan A4/A5 are very similar and according to the quote system i've done on both sites the McMillan is working out at €850 including taxes and shipping. The PSE at €1440. Perhaps i've done it wrong. Can someone that has a stock in the following configuration work this out for me:
    • Stock, fully inletted
    • Painted
    • Adjustable cheek riser
    • Butt pad
    • Bottom metal & 308, 5 round mag
    • Fitting & bedding of said bottom metal

He is more interested in a thumbole/subtle palm swell laminate or timber stock. If that does not work out then he may go for a composite.

At the moment i'm inclined to take my time and research this well. I will not be changing again. Plus the majority of stocks are only pictures on a screen and it's hard to judge fit, feel, comfort, etc. Also as it's the first week of the season i'm not rushing into anything, but if something comes up, grand.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote:
    The PSE at €1440. Perhaps i've done it wrong.
    No perhaps about it. Maybe you hit a few Xs instead of +s there Cass:D, €1400 seems way over the mark.
    Mine is duracoated green, adjustable cheek riser, butt pad, sling studs, flush cups and inletted for a tikka bottom metal. And there was no tikka inlet for an Etac when I was getting mine done, pretty sure it was filled and had material removed where needed for the tikka action so that cost extra too. All in came to €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

Did you think about trying out the 'Gunslinger' sling??

Put all the weight of the rifle on to your hips and little or no weight on the shoulder. I have been using one for the past 3 stalking seasons and can recommend it. My rifle is a Sako 75 laminated varmint, elite 4200 6-24x50 scope, bi-pod all up at 12lb. Makes it very easy to walk with it.

I think I paid $60 for it.
    Plenty of vids on UTube showing them in use.
    http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

lefthooker wrote: »
    No perhaps about it. Maybe you hit a few Xs instead of +s there Cass:D, €1400 seems way over the mark.

I selected:
    • E-Tac Stock - €765
    • Bottom metal (only ones are AICS) - €240
    • One magazine (5 round) - €75
    • Fitting and bedding of the mag - €160
    • Painted - €200
    • Recoil pad - €25

Total - €1465

So what am i getting wrong? It seems a lot alright and maybe i selecting things i shouldn't or more to the point don't need to.

• Advertisement

You don't need the recoil pad, that's included in the €765. And you don't need the fancy paint either on a stalking rifle. Any mag kits for he 700 I've seen run around €250 + installation so in hindsight them figures seem about right I'm afraid. But is it a necessity???
    Why not ring Edi about it, he may have a bottom metal lying spare. As might some of the other gunsmiths around the country.

That mag system is not necessary, but i don't see another option. Does it come with a BDL or even a floor plate. Or are they all single shot? The mag system, mag itself and the the fitting cost an extra €460.

You say the paint is not necessary. Can you pick colours that don't require the cost of painting or just the colour they come out when made?

So if it comes with a recoil pad, and there are other colours rather than just the colour the stock comes out when made it leaves the stock at €1240. I suppose you could buy a bottom metal, because i want more than a single shot, and give it to him to fit. That would leave it at €765 for the stock, say €150 for a new bottom metal i bought myself, and €165 to have him fitted. That's leave it at €€1,070.

BTW if Edi is reading this i'm by no means getting at ya lad. Just trying to narrow downs options and full prices. Don't want to waste anyone's time and realise something costs more that i thought. I've also contacted Enda, and the prices would be similar. €750 starting price and then more for extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

In a similar predicament myself with the .223, have a heavier laminate target stock on it at the minite. It's brilliant but too heavy and pretty for bringing foxing.

All I want is a cheap stock that is light weight, ergonomic, provides good accuracy, is rugged and cheap. Not asking for much am I :D

Not much at all.

If i'm honest the one he wants will be:
    • Lightweight
    • Thumbhole
    • Laminate
    • Adjustable cheek riser

I swear to God the older he gets the younger he acts. I need an Argos book of gun parts so he can go to the back pages and pick out what he wants. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

Cass wrote: »

I swear to God the older he gets the younger he acts. I need an Argos book of gun parts so he can go to the back pages and pick out what he wants. :rolleyes:

DON'T we all

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Cass wrote: »
    I selected:
    • E-Tac Stock - €765
    • Bottom metal (only ones are AICS) - €240
    • One magazine (5 round) - €75
    • Fitting and bedding of the mag - €160
    • Painted - €200
    • Recoil pad - €25

Total - €1465

So what am i getting wrong? It seems a lot alright and maybe i selecting things i shouldn't or more to the point don't need to.

Sorry, only saw this thread now.
    Kev, I must apologise... our Website is a bit off and we just didn't have the time to fix things.
    We actually never charged extra for recoil pad, stippling or paint unless it was some snazzy car paint that also need several layers of clear etc.
    So 765 for the Carbon fibre Ultra Light E-Tac stock which includes the adjustable cheek, recoil pad, swivel studs fitted and a single duracoat colour. We have a few colours to choose from.
    Mag System, and fitting bedding 240 + 160.
    Best done with your rifle as we could bed your rifle while we are at it. Depending on the whole package we charge between 50 or 100 Euro for the bedding of the action.
    We mostly give a bit of a reduction to boards members.
    edi
    ps. My remmy E-Tac rifle with 20" medium Palma barrel weighs 7.7 lbs
    including 6.5-20x50 conquest scope just 9.2lbs.
    However the stock is an experimental stock that is about 200 grams lighter than standard.

Hey Edi.

Thanks very much for responding. I hope you seen the post above from me. On reading back it seems like you are being singled out when it's not the case, and i was genuinely a little lost on the options list. As you & lefthooker said the site may be a bit off and/or i was picking stuff i probably did not need to or that was already included.

Thanks again lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭zulu_dawn

another stock option is the newish to market MBT stock, http://mdttac.com/chassis-systems/, i know of two in Eire

Dom's Custom rifles are you man to source same - http://www.domscustomrifles.ie/

Advertisement