Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Owen wrote: »
    Even though it's above a pub, Il Primo in Ballinlough/Blackrock is incredible. Never ever been disappointed, and the staff there are outstanding. Love the place.

Also recommend this-unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

+1 La Gourmandaise in Cook Street

Stunning Food.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 britespark

wrmwit wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm taking the missus to Cork for a weekend to celebrate our anniversary and I want to book a nice place to eat on a Saturday night. We eat all sort of cuisine! Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
    cant go far wrong with mc donalds (euro saver menu) great value:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

thatsmyboy wrote: »
    Saturday night take her somewhere special but on Sunday before ye go home go to ECO's in Douglas village for lunch and get their stir fry its to die for when i lived there its all i used to order and you wont be hungry after it i can tell ya and not expensive but do book today as it books out the whole time

Regards
    Pat Murphy Manager ECOs Douglas ha ha only joking but do go here
    Must disagree. Was there two weeks ago and although the food was lovely, I was not full after it at all. I wasn't in the humour for potatoes so got chips and they were shocking similar to mc Ds skinny ones (except mc ds are nicer) and the portion was really small as was the portion of veg. For 17e for my main course I will not be going back there again. And the special dessert was not what the waitress told us it was. I said it to her and she was like oh did I describe it wrong :rolleyes:
    Owen wrote: »
    Even though it's above a pub, Il Primo in Ballinlough/Blackrock is incredible. Never ever been disappointed, and the staff there are outstanding. Love the place.

Have to agree with Owen, only went there for the very first time on Wednesday night with a group of friends, we got the xmas menu and I was so stuffed and none of us had a complaint about anything, the staff were also fantastic. It's now my new favourite place. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Club Brasserie is tasty and Jacques is top notch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

has anyone tried Electric? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

BArra wrote: »
    Restaurant is fine but the food in the bar is nothing special and the staff are dreadful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

For an anniversary: les gourmandies, hayfield manor both of which are pretty expensive, star anise which is reasonable French run as well lovely food and a nice place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

BArra wrote: »

Very unimpressed both times I was there, which is a shame because it's a nice place. I may have been unlucky! I'm going to give it one more chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

even with the mixed reviews above i think ill give the resturant a try ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

kcb wrote: »
    Very unimpressed both times I was there, which is a shame because it's a nice place. I may have been unlucky! I'm going to give it one more chance!

Fair play in giving it a third chance. If I'm not impressed with a restaurant my first time there I don't go back, and I tell my friends not to go there. Maybe a little harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Jacobs on the mall always a good choice.

+1 Never had a bad meal there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

wrmwit wrote: »
    Fair play in giving it a third chance. If I'm not impressed with a restaurant my first time there I don't go back, and I tell my friends not to go there. Maybe a little harsh!

I'd normally take your approach! Maybe my leniency in this instance is due to the fact that one visit was using a groupon voucher and another was a decent early bird deal. But still.....!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 totoro_kid

SkySter wrote: »
    +1 Never had a bad meal there.

I have to disagree. I was a huge fan of Jacobs. I WAS my favourite place to eat in Cork for years until I went there last November. It was very poor. The food was only average. There was very little atmosphere there and the whole experience was a let-down.
    I had eaten in the Cornstore earlier in the week and had steak in both places. What I got in the Cornstore was of much greater quality and far less expensive. I wouldn't normally complain about the price as I think Jacobs is usually worth what you pay but on this occasion it was very disappointing.

Hopefully it was a once off but I'll be slow to return any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Les Gourmandises is very overrated in my opinion.

The food is good, I've been there twice, but I cannot think of a reason to return for a third time, it was just expensive, rich food with very little lasting appeal.

garhjw wrote: »
    augustines.... i was there a few times when it was on washington st and it was great. heard good things about it in the clarion too

Augustine's has, today, announced it's closure. It's shutting at the end of the month - vouchers work until Feb 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I went to Cork last weekend. Great weekend.

Went to Market Lane for lunch which was lovely and Banna Thai on Maylor Street for dinner (her choice!) The food was disappointing but the staff were lovely. It was washed down with a couple of bottles of wine at the hotel bar so it was a happy ending!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

evilivor wrote: »
    Augustine's has, today, announced it's closure. It's shutting at the end of the month - vouchers work until Feb 25th.

I really can't believe that. It's winning loads of awards! Are they moving or closing completely? And does anyone know if they're still running the tasting menu?

Faith wrote: »
    I really can't believe that. It's winning loads of awards! Are they moving or closing completely? And does anyone know if they're still running the tasting menu?

Closing completely; the chef is going to pursue personal interests. They have taken out some ads to thank for people for their support over the years.

http://thecorknews.ie/articles/augustine’s-close-4121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Dermighty wrote: »
    Les Gourmandises is very overrated in my opinion.

I have only eaten there once, but I was blown away by it and will definitely be back. Though I know you can't really review on one visit.
    evilivor wrote: »
    Closing completely; the chef is going to pursue personal interests. They have taken out some ads to thank for people for their support over the years.

http://thecorknews.ie/articles/augustine’s-close-4121
    Really sorry to hear this. The food in there was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Going tonight!!

Tasting menu.
    Third time there but first for the tasting menu.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah the restaurant thread..We were only talking about this at the weekend.We travelled all the way to Clare to go to Morans and on the way stoped off for steak in the Town Hall oh the joys yummie food. But we were thinking about our fav places in Cork to eat,

Strasbourg Goose would be on me top list loverly food, prices are fantastic and the staff could not be nicer there...

With kinda the drop in side I would always go for Scozzis for just your standard food..

I wish I had got to try Augustines is it gone now...And also ahh whats the other one the Ivory tower Im so confused wether this place is closed or not, is it..

Can anyone recommend a nice place to go for seafood in Cork. We were trying to think but came up a blank...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh I wouldnt go near Eco's either two bad experiences and tis off the list for me. Or Il Primo i thought it was nice the first time we went then the 2nd time we got was suppose to be lasagne (mad if the chef gets away with serving it) I was more annoyed though when we handed it back and didnt really hear anything else, we asked the chap there what did the chef actually say and he drew a blank..

Milly33 wrote: »

I wish I had got to try Augustines is it gone now....

Open til Sat 25th Feb.

Going tonight!!

Tasting menu.
    Third time there but first for the tasting menu.

:D:D:D

The food was really very good - but the service was pretty appalling.
    Is it possible that because the staff are all loosing their jobs next week that they just don't care anymore? They were not very friendly, not very attentive and very unprofessional.
    Shame to pair good food with poor service.

Still, really enjoyed the night despite the rubbish staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

The food was really very good - but the service was pretty appalling.
    Is it possible that because the staff are all loosing their jobs next week that they just don't care anymore? They were not very friendly, not very attentive and very unprofessional.
    Shame to pair good food with poor service.

Still, really enjoyed the night despite the rubbish staff.

looking at the above article a numkber of the staff have already moved on. that might explain the poor service

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭okedoke

garhjw wrote: »
    looking at the above article a numkber of the staff have already moved on. that might explain the poor service

I'm going there tonight and just saw this. Would it be unfair to think that the 5 staff who agreed to stay on would the those who couldn't get jobs elsewhere? I hope not

okedoke wrote: »
    I'm going there tonight and just saw this. Would it be unfair to think that the 5 staff who agreed to stay on would the those who couldn't get jobs elsewhere? I hope not

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    The food was great and maybe they were having an off night or maybe I just expect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

might start thread instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah the restaurant thread..We were only talking about this at the weekend.We travelled all the way to Clare to go to Morans

Oooh! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Moran's!! My first time in Ireland I went there for lunch.... I can still taste that crab!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement