Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killiney Hill Sunrise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

If you go into the car park, on the left just as you go in, there is two paths.

They start pretty much on top of each other, but one visibly goes up and slightly to the right and you go up a few steps every now and again. If you haven't hit a few steps 30 seconds in then you're gone wrong. The other path goes a bit left and IIRC it goes down a bit and bends to the right, no steps at the start anyway. This one leads down dalkey quarry, and unless you want a major trek up some steps or have your climbing gear with you, take the other one! Once you go up the steps etc you'll get to a view of Dún Laoghaire and the bay on your left, its good but if you continue up another 100 meters (you effectively turn right and walk away from the view) it gets better, and you;re also just at the top, another 100 meters and you're at the castle, able to look north and south.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Last time I went up there I took a path that led you around the top ridge of the old quarry. It was a fair trek up a lot of stairs.

Sure were better off all meeting at the set time and then those who have been up recently can lead the pack. I'll be the one with a tow rope in his hand :D

DK32 wrote: »
    Last time I went up there I took a path that led you around the top ridge of the old quarry. It was a fair trek up a lot of stairs.
    sounds like you did what I nearly did the first time! You end up practically in the middle of the quarry, not at the bottom, but most definitely not at the top! That's the left path I spoke of, the one just to the right of it is only a quick walk, less than you did in glendalough :p
    Sure were better off all meeting at the set time and then those who have been up recently can lead the pack. I'll be the one with a tow rope in his hand :D

Sounds good, I'll bring the tow hitch so :D

just thinking, there have been a few people going to sandycove for sunrise with some seriously good shots coming back (I'm looking at you swingking and Kyle!).

Maybe we could organise a trip there some morning? no walk etc, just park and you're there, so it would need to be anywhere near as early as glendalough, even with the sunrise being earlier etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Yea that sounds good, we could always do that on a weekday if people are so inclined and could go to work straight from there.

Sweet shots btw Ste!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

I'd love to come along to one of these, and weekdays would probably suit me better :) Can't make this sunday, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Just thought I would add that on Easter Sunday morning there is a "Sonrise" celebration up in the Killiney Hill.

I used to go up there as a kid. There is some music and if I remember tea and coffee.

The sunrise is amazing so enjoy whichever day you go.

Not sure if it still happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

OK - BAM!

Thursday morning I'll be heading out that way if anyone wants to join moi :)
    Probably be out there for 6.30/45

kjt wrote: »
    OK - BAM!

Thursday morning I'll be heading out that way if anyone wants to join moi :)
    Probably be out there for 6.30/45

Sandycove? I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Thursday? The day after Paddy's day??

Well, given it's a short stroll for me and my train to work is around 8...I'm in, as long as I don't have to go for a swim in forty foot;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

kjt wrote: »
    Yea that sounds good, we could always do that on a weekday if people are so inclined and could go to work straight from there.

Sweet shots btw Ste!!

Thanks Kyle.

Afraid I'm out for Thursday, enjoy it guys. It's a great place to shoot and the results are worth getting up for :)

xia wrote: »
    as long as I don't have to go for a swim in forty foot;)

I think that's part of the whole photowalk package :D

swingking wrote: »
    Thanks Kyle.

Afraid I'm out for Thursday, enjoy it guys. It's a great place to shoot and the results are worth getting up for :)

Oh ye? I reckon you just can't handle the c&c from your other thread and are afraid to show your face down there again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

swingking wrote: »
    I think that's part of the whole photowalk package :D

Hmmm...isn't at 7.00/7.15 (or so) mens only swim? So I'm not allowed. What a shame! :cool:

Ahh well, will take pics more towards Bulloch Harbour then:p

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭roo_photo

Did the same thing a few years back, but I think it was in early summer.

If the light is good, you will certainly get some good shots! We started off at the top, before it got properly light, then headed down towards the vico road (got a good angle for dalkey island from the path) - from there headed along the vico road towards coliemore harbour.

Hope you guys get the weather, best of luck!

107813.jpg
    107814.jpg
    107815.jpg

Love the shots! The first one is really nice, I love the blue sky while still being sunrise, and the obelisk has some detail while also resembling a silhouette. The 3rd one is really great, been down there loads and never gotten that exact shot!

The obelisk is about a half an hour walk from the car park, or so I'm told. We could do it, but those who only want a short walk would prefer the castle route.

Well the weather is forecast for rain tomorrow so looks like Sunday was the better choice :D

Is everyone still up for this on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hi Dan, yes still on for it, do you need a lift ?

No thanks John, I'm heading back via the inlaws in DunLaoghaire

• Advertisement

Is the meeting time of 5:45 right? woah that's early

yup, can't wait. Apologies to those who made it to the 40ft, got tied up and couldn't make it, feel kinda bad after suggesting it!

Sun rain or shine we doing this ye?

Sunrise is 6:25 this Sunday. How long does it take to walk all the way to the top?
    I'm aiming to be there for 5:45 cause I want to take my time and want extra time to scout out the best vantage points for the Sunrise.

the obelisk is a fair bit longer than the "castle". I prefer the views at the castle.

alexlyons wrote: »
    yup, can't wait. Apologies to those who made it to the 40ft, got tied up and couldn't make it, feel kinda bad after suggesting it!

Sun rain or shine we doing this ye?

Yep, forecast looks like we are in for cloudy / sunny spells.
    cloudy sunrise could be quite good. Just hope is not raining

Is the castle in the same line of sight to the sea as the obelisk?
    If you check the sunrise path on the ephemeris that's where we need to be.

linky? not very good at finding that stuff...

Image is attached to the first post in this thread.

Image is attached to the first post in this thread.

ah shite, didn't see that. ye that view isn't very interesting from the castle, unless you were to head down the rocks and get the island and sorentto terrance in the shot.... longer walk to there though...

• Advertisement

So are we better off heading up to the obelisk?

Advertisement