Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restaurant/Takeaway in Douglas

• 19-01-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

There are some new restaurants after opening in Douglas or are about to open which I guess is a good sign for the economy!

Anyone tried the new restaurant or takeaway that has opened in the old Cashmans bookies office in Douglas Village. I have only walked past it but it looks very small for a sit down restaurant but they seem to have two beer taps on the counter. I think its call Palermo or Palimino but I cant find anything on line about it, either website or facebook page.
    Anyone tried it?

The old Bullys (miss their burgers!) has been replaced in the Village with an Italian restaurant (Marcellos) and I have eaten there twice so far. Top class in fairness. The owner actually sat with us once and was extremely nice however he seemed perplexed with Irish peoples demand for chips with everything...

There is a new Peri Peri Chicken restaurant on the corner of Tescos opposite both John Os and The South County which I havent tried yet... Anyone been there?

Work has started for a new sit down pizza restaurant at the bottom of Donnybrook Hill in a new unit that was built over a year ago and was unoccupied for a while.

And of course JD Wetherspoons are planning on opening in the Village opposite Barrys and O'Driscolls and they always provide good pub grub, as well as great priced craft beers. They might be a while getting planning if the other pubs object !!

Overall the dining out scene is great in Douglas at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

The_Banker wrote: »
    There are some new restaurants after opening in Douglas or are about to open which I guess is a good sign for the economy!

Anyone tried the new restaurant or takeaway that has opened in the old Cashmans bookies office in Douglas Village. I have only walked past it but it looks very small for a sit down restaurant but they seem to have two beer taps on the counter. I think its call Palermo or Palimino but I cant find anything on line about it, either website or facebook page.
    Anyone tried it?

The old Bullys (miss their burgers!) has been replaced in the Village with an Italian restaurant (Marcellos) and I have eaten there twice so far. Top class in fairness. The owner actually sat with us once and was extremely nice however he seemed perplexed with Irish peoples demand for chips with everything...

There is a new Peri Peri Chicken restaurant on the corner of Tescos opposite both John Os and The South County which I havent tried yet... Anyone been there?

Work has started for a new sit down pizza restaurant at the bottom of Donnybrook Hill in a new unit that was built over a year ago and was unoccupied for a while.

And of course JD Wetherspoons are planning on opening in the Village opposite Barrys and O'Driscolls and they always provide good pub grub, as well as great priced craft beers. They might be a while getting planning if the other pubs object !!

Overall the dining out scene is great in Douglas at the minute.

Have been to the new pizza joint in the old cashmans building. Very good, wood burning oven(a real one). Pizza super. Draught beer was 2 Franciscan well taps. Also had wine and bottled beer.

Marcellos didnt do it for me at all. Maybe just me, but wont be rushing back.

South County for an evening meal is well worth it. Small menu but top class food imo

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Dbu wrote: »
    Have been to the new pizza joint in the old cashmans building. Very good, wood burning oven(a real one). Pizza super. Draught beer was 2 Franciscan well taps. Also had wine and bottled beer.

Marcellos didnt do it for me at all. Maybe just me, but wont be rushing back.

South County for an evening meal is well worth it. Small menu but top class food imo

I have had lunch in South County but never an evening meal.... Ill have to give that a twist sometime.

I didnt know the place in the old Cashmans building was pizza. I thought it was a combination of various fast foods.
    Its next on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

As far as I know the place in Cashman's is run by the guy from La Tana pizza on Barrack Street. I haven't tried the Douglas ones yet but La Tana is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Marcellos really didn't do it for me, I found everything a bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Roosters piri piri is grand, it's like Nandos only not sh!t. You can get half a chicken and sweet potatoe fries for a tenner too so it's not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Marcellos is grand. However they do a 'Kids eat free' on Sundays, kids main and dessert with a soft drink...free (extra sides will be charged). I think this is a great offer and a nice gesture to get families in...you wouldn't get that from Mr. Arrogant Pants across the road (not that he needs the business).

I thought Roosters was nice but a tad on the expensive side for what you get (in my opinion).

I haven't tried the new pizza place yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Never even noticed Roosters...when did that open? Must try it some time.
    Marcellos is fine alright..nothing special but decent enough. Kids eating free on sunday is good but the kids menu is fairly small although they do throw some toppings on the kids pizza if you ask. Not much you can put on a kids menu in an Italian I guess other than spag bol or pizza.
    My kids much prefer La Lavanda around the corner but it is more expensive...typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh we got take out for the Elephant Thai place and it is yummie very nice

Ludo wrote: »
    Never even noticed Roosters...when did that open?

I think it opened around early December.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Oh we got take out for the Elephant Thai place and it is yummie very nice

where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh the Golden Elephant it is called.. Really nice now I must say.. It must be where Chans used to be above Four star pizza by the mills

• Registered Users Posts: 35 verat

Tried Golden Elephant twice now and honestly couldn't fault it, curry adjusted just to my liking and all starters are great. Seating area is small but intimate and the staff are just lovely. Best Thai I've had in Ireland so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Marcello's very average IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

OP - how much was the pizza in Palermo /Palimino?

Haven't been to any of these, but will try in time.

LeNNoX wrote: »
    OP - how much was the pizza in Palermo /Palimino?

Haven't been to any of these, but will try in time.

Howdy Mr LeNNoX,
    I havent actually been... I actually thought it was a burger joint until someone on this thread pointed out that they did pizza.
    I plan to check it out in the few few days and will post my opinions.

Howdy Mr LeNNoX,
    I havent actually been... I actually thought it was a burger joint until someone on this thread pointed out that they did pizza.
    I plan to check it out in the few few days and will post my opinions.

Its called Palmento I think,
    Pizzas start at €13, but all home made and the wood burning oven is the biz

Dbu wrote: »
    Its called Palmento I think,
    Pizzas start at €13, but all home made and the wood burning oven is the biz

Thanks, I had the name wrong... I can actually find them on facebook now.

Have you been? The old bookmakers was quite small so wondering how many it can seat?

Thanks, I had the name wrong... I can actually find them on facebook now.

Have you been? The old bookmakers was quite small so wondering how many it can seat?

yes have been twice and really nice imo.
    you can also get a beer and a wine. would seat about 20-25 i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

popped in her tonight, was unplanned, just walking by and decided to give it a go.

lovely place, nice vibe, nice staff and the pizza was spot on.
    I think it's a great size too, cozy feeling about it.

Pizza prices start at €11, the menu looks simple in a good way, not over complicated.
    Very light dough with a fantastic sauce. the base is spot on and you can't go wrong with any of their selections.

We had, glass of wine, pint of beer and a pizza. I think it was €21.

Recommend this place and will be back myself.
    Best of luck to them.

For clarity, I'm talking about Palmento - I recall there was mention of other places in OP's post.

I finally got to try Palmento over the weekend myself.

Grand spot... Very nice pizza.
    I counted the seats while there and it seats exactly 20.

The pizza itself was outstanding and I couldn't fault it. They had two beers on tap, Rebel Red and another whose name I can't remember.
    Having drunk, and liked Rebel Red previously I said I'd try out the other beer... I didn't like it at all.

Over, I was happy with the place and will go back but will drink Rebel Red next time...

As the previous poster said, it had a cool vibe and great staff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I haven't been to Marcellos yet but given the feedback here (and the fact that it looks awful from the outside) I'll give it a miss.

I am looking forward to giving Palmento a try though! Looks incredible both inside and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

They had two beers on tap, Rebel Red and another whose name I can't remember.

Chieftain IPA? Think I saw it through the glass before ...

frw001a_franwell_fob_brandmark_cipa_2c_fa_1402281.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Roosters Piri Piri is another chain & is almost identical to Nandos, a tad cheaper but not by much. It is very nice though, I think I prefer it to Nandos. Like Nandos it's not a "meal out" for a special occasion type of place really. But nice for a group getting a bite to eat before heading for a few drinks.

Palmento is top notch. They got the Oven made in Northern Italy, pizzas are much nicer than anything Dominos or Four Star can manage. I had a Novocento on Saturday on Douglas St. & I think Palmento trumps that too. I've had pizzas three times from Palmento, sit in one of the times, it was nice, again I think the whole thing was over really quick, not a problem but it feels like less of an occasion. The decor is quite nice, the outside space is just begging for a little terrace to be built with tables outside.

Hopefully the Wetherspoons won't send them all to the wall, keep them honest, fine but not drive them to closure.
    There was another Nandos type place due to open next to Lal Quila called Rooster Pil Pil but the "opening soon" sign has disappeared. There's one in Ballincollig, mixed reviews from what I have heard.

I'm sure Douglas will get a Ramen soon too. Would like to see a good beef restaurant open, but reality is that there's probably too many places to eat there already.

La Lavanda has closed down again. Pity. I liked the place. Second time it has closed now...presumably permanently this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

I'm not surprised La Lavanda has closed again. It has been near empty every night since it opened! I found it odd how they opened for a second time in the exact same place using the same name and similar menu and expected things to go differently.

I'm not surprised La Lavanda has closed again. It has been near empty every night since it opened! I found it odd how they opened for a second time in the exact same place using the same name and similar menu and expected things to go differently.

Yep...that was very odd alright. It was never really going to work. Wonder what will go in there now...a Starbucks maybe?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Popped into Palmento on Sunday for lunch.
    Really liked the Decor/Vibe of the place, it was quiet at the time which was nice.
    Staff were really friendly and Pizza was top notch, I had a Chieftain IPA - went very well with the duck pizza and the gf had a red wine which she really enjoyed. We had a slight issue with our meal, but it was dealt with very well and I'd recommend the place and will be returning.

They are getting a delivery service up and running soon, but the dine in experience is really nice.

Glad I read this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Looks like the Tea Rooms are gone now too https://www.facebook.com/DouglasTeaRoom
    ...There was another Nandos type place due to open next to Lal Quila called Rooster Pil Pil but the "opening soon" sign has disappeared. There's one in Ballincollig, mixed reviews from what I have heard.
    That sign is back up since the weekend so they must still be coming to Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

One small 'complaint' about Palmento - there isn't a single item on the menu that isn't pizza or cheesy. It might sound like a funny complaint about a pizza place, but I eat neither so it means if we're in a group we never go there (we work in an office around the corner from it, so would give it a fair bit of business otherwise). I'd even be happy with a plate of fries and chicken/fish goujons, but nope, it's cheese or I hope you enjoy your drink! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Funnily enough I was actually thinking the same thing myself recently and it could help them get some more groups in the door if there was some type of alternative to the pizza/cheese option. As you say it wouldn't need to be much, just something for the non-pizza crowd to eat while everyone else enjoys the food of the gods.

Advertisement