Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three Zone Heating System

Options
  • 27-12-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a three zone heating system (water, up and down stairs) and a back boiler stove. This morning my wife turned on the water only and it started to heat the down stairs rads as well (never happened before). Turned it on and off and reset the panel (sauter T37) but no luck with the same problem occurring.

Checked all the actuator valves (yellow box on the pipe) to make sure they were opening and closing and they were. So back to the control panel once more to try again. This time there was no power going to the boiler or actuator valve when the water zone was pressed. The other two zones are working fine as so is the back boiler.

Is it the control panel or something else. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Changed the thermostat temperature for the water zone and its working again so its back to square one. When I turn on the water heating zone it heats the downstairs rads as well?

Why is this and what can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Changed the thermostat temperature for the water zone and its working again so its back to square one. When I turn on the water heating zone it heats the downstairs rads as well?

Why is this and what can I do?

Sounds like downstairs actuator is open , take it off and manually close the valve and see if the rads still heat . Have you got the eph/saunter actuators ?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Thanks for the help Egass, problem was with the downstairs actuator, replaced it today and all working well. To be honest I taught they would be good for more than 3 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

Thanks for the help Egass, problem was with the downstairs actuator, replaced it today and all working well. To be honest I taught they would be good for more than 3 years!

I replaced the 3 of mine within 2 yrs when I moved into my house , they wer the heat merchants valves, put in myson and their still goin strong 5 yrs later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Egass13 wrote: »
    I replaced the 3 of mine within 2 yrs when I moved into my house , they wer the heat merchants valves, put in myson and their still goin strong 5 yrs later.

Yeah, they were the Horstmann valves, total piece of crap. Sauter are just a smidgen above them but at least they come with a 5 year warranty & the head has the detachable wiring mount.

I only fit Myson but Danfoss & Honeywell are pretty good also.
    I fitted a Myson a couple of months ago though, & had a call back for pressure drop. Turned out to be a leaking valve base through the inner stem seal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I've come across 3 Heatmerchants/ horseman valves that have burnt out at the plug in connection.
    Anybody else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jigsaw50

Hi Guys,
    Any thoughts on a New Building Plumbing and control recommendation. Apologies for butting in on your thread but you both sound like you have similar systems that maybe I could learn from.
    My house is 3000 sq foot.

There are 24 rads in total. TRV's on all rads. Actual total BTu's of the rads 127,000 BTU.
    I think i will be putting in 3 zones. DHW, upstairs and down.
    I will have HP400 4m2 of kingspan solar. Currently spec'ed as a kit. Is it cheaper to purchase the separate components ???(pump,controller etc)
    I will have a Grant Vortex Oil 90/120 boiler.
    I will have a Stratford eb25 stove boiler which when all will heat the rads..
    The tank is tripple coil. 300lt.

No sure on the control strategy. Thermostats (How many, what location, Type, temp display or not) & timeclock etc. Plumber and electrician both recommend Horstmann. Looked at amazon and Honeywell and Danfoss both look to be popular. Also was looking at NEST but do not think it is available in Ireland.

I was hoping to be able to control or monitor the heating system from my smart phone ?

Currently living in rented house while build is happening. This house has oil burner and it ant half thirsty!! Starting to think that not putting air to water with heat pump in new build was a bit of a mistake.:-(

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Have a look at the climote for controlling the heating system I have one and it is great. I think the nest is designed for United States heating and cooling systems and won't work with this setup.

With the Climote I have used a 2 way switch and some relays so I can select to heat the water either by oil or electricity.

http://www.climote.ie/

The ESB sometimes have offers on installing it.

There are also a number of wifi systems but I dont have direct experience with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

If you insulate enough oil is fine. Big difference between a older house and a new one

Advertisement