Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniffing Sharply?

• 24-03-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

A little background: I'm from Dublin, currently studying at GMIT. I've noticed something that seems to be quite common over here in the city of Galway. I'm curious as to whether anyone else is aware of it, or if you're going to say it's all in my head.

Basically, when walking past someone in the street, and with young women or girls in particular, they will inhale sharply through their nose. It seems to be a dismissive action, or perhaps an occult mating signal of which I'm completely unaware. Furthermore, in lectures the males will sniff very loudly indeed, prompting a chorus of increasingly loud sniffs from the other males, as though they are trying to assert their dominance.

I'm not peeved in the slightest, and my jimmies remain 100% unrustled. I am however genuinely intrigued as to whether anyone else has been the victim of this incessant sniffing form of communication.

PS: This post will almost certainly seem like I am trolling, but I do hope you believe me on the matter. I have discussed this with fellow Dubliners and they too have their suspicions.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It rains alot.

Rain = Colds and flu's.

Colds and flu's = Sniffling sharply perhaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Maybe they like the smell of you.

Can I sit in on a lecture and get a sniff?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Quayno wrote: »
    A little background: I'm from Dublin, currently studying at GMIT. I've noticed something that seems to be quite common over here in the city of Galway. I'm curious as to whether anyone else is aware of it, or if you're going to say it's all in my head.

Basically, when walking past someone in the street, and with young women or girls in particular, they will inhale sharply through their nose. It seems to be a dismissive action, or perhaps an occult mating signal of which I'm completely unaware. Furthermore, in lectures the males will sniff very loudly indeed, prompting a chorus of increasingly loud sniffs from the other males, as though they are trying to assert their dominance.

I'm not peeved in the slightest, and my jimmies remain 100% unrustled. I am however genuinely intrigued as to whether anyone else has been the victim of this incessant sniffing form of communication.

PS: This post will almost certainly seem like I am trolling, but I do hope you believe me on the matter. I have discussed this with fellow Dubliners and they too have their suspicions.

Many thanks in advance.

It's the Dublin pheromones, we can't get enough of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Actually now I think of it you may have a point OP. I remember a friends family visiting here from the UK and their young kid saying once "why do Irish people breath so loudly".I think some Irish people, though I wouldn't have thought it particular to Galway, do communicate in inhales and exhales and snorts and sniffs in conversation at least.

There's the hands on hips ,slow, deep,nostril flaring inhale that's says "I don't agree,you're an eijet but I'm not going to say it outloud to your face right now". It's a breathy equivalent of rolling your eyes that Irish middle aged parents seem to like.

Another weird one is the way some people hold their breath while they're thinking, trades people particularly, you ask a question about whether something tricky can be done and the response will often include a sharp intake of breath which is held while the person makes a face and scratches their head and thinks. The out breath will indicate thinking is done, response imminent.

I'm sure there's more too.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

One of the highest incidences of asthma in the world around here, isn't it? Could be related to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Cocaine. Galway is the cocaine capital of the world.

No wait- I'm confusing it with Peru again, they're just so godamn similar.

I'm afraid you may be just mental OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

"A jackeen once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti....FFF FFF FFFF sniff"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

They shouldn't sniff like that to a swanky Jackeen like yourself OP.
    You need to take a HARDNOSED attitude here.:pac:
    Good Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cppilot98

As a Dubliner living here for some time. I can't say l've ever noticed it. Maybe it's a student thing?

Having said that I'll bet I'll hear everywhere I go from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

cppilot98 wrote: »
    As a Dubliner living here for some time. I can't say l've ever noticed it. Maybe it's a student thing?

Having said that I'll bet I'll hear everywhere I go from now on.

Go home Yank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

I've noticed this too, most often in adjacent nightclub toilet cubicles. No idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Intifada wrote: »
    I've noticed this too, most often in adjacent nightclub toilet cubicles. No idea why.
    Make a gues.........ah gowan gowan gowan as Mrs Doyle used to say...........:pac:

Advertisement