Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling/Walking around the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

loughgill wrote: »
    Thanks for that. really don't see the point in it for cyclists though (are they claiming it's partly for cyclists?) without another bridge going across the corrib. I'm sure it'll be nice for people just going for a stroll, but I'm guessing most people on bikes will just go the way they always have. As well as having to dismount for the bridge itself, cyclists would probably have to walk most of the way on that path if there's going to be people walking on it, it's not very wide is it? And then how to get back onto the road at the Salmon Wier bridge, right where cars are turning? You need to be in the middle of the road approaching the Salmon Wier.

Agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Just moved down to the docks, the traffic system down there is horrible for cyclists, especially outside Jurys.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just moved down to the docks, the traffic system down there is horrible for cyclists, especially outside Jurys.

The dual carrigeway one way gyratory make it very difficult to negotiate alright on a bike. Re Jurys - is it the narrowness of lanes here due to the central traffic islands that you dont like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

Thanks for that. really don't see the point in it for cyclists though (are they claiming it's partly for cyclists?) without another bridge going across the corrib. I'm sure it'll be nice for people just going for a stroll, but I'm guessing most people on bikes will just go the way they always have. As well as having to dismount for the bridge itself, cyclists would probably have to walk most of the way on that path if there's going to be people walking on it, it's not very wide is it? And then how to get back onto the road at the Salmon Wier bridge, right where cars are turning? You need to be in the middle of the road approaching the Salmon Wier.
    The bridge is the start point of the Galway - Moycullen greenway. It has however been postponed with available funds just going towards the bridge for now. The greenway will go through NUI, under the quincentenary bridge and out towards dangan and so on. A pathway already exists around the Dangan section but it's a very rough surface, so this will be ungraded to a proper surface for walking and cycling.
    The bridge will be handy for students as the footpath on university road is really tight so it's easier walk on the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

yer man! wrote: »
    The bridge is the start point of the Galway - Moycullen greenway. It has however been postponed with available funds just going towards the bridge for now. The greenway will go through NUI, under the quincentenary bridge and out towards dangan and so on. A pathway already exists around the Dangan section but it's a very rough surface, so this will be ungraded to a proper surface for walking and cycling.
    The bridge will be handy for students as the footpath on university road is really tight so it's easier walk on the road.

I would view the Claddagh basin as the start point of the route to Clifden - ideally also tied in with some kind of route along the coast via Nimmos.

• Advertisement

dmcg90 wrote: »

Speaking of cycling (and walking) conditions in the city - the elected City Council is due to consider a draft Walking and Cycling Strategy for the city and environs at their meeting on April 16th (Monday). They will be able to amend the document as well. (there is no draft on-line unfortunately)

Ideally the end document would closely match the philosophy of the National Cycle Policy Framework
    http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/11387-0.pdf

Particularly chapter 2 and the "Hierarchy of Solutions".

If there is stuff in that list you want to see done for cycling in Galway now is the time to get onto your local councillor. Bear in mind that the officials appear to be trying to actively evade the provisions of the National Cycle Policy Framework if you want stuff to happen you will have to fight for it. :D

There is already lobbying going on PM me if you want to co-ordinate efforts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its not intended for cyclists (primarily), but as another poster said, as part of a greenway that will also be useful to cyclists. Given funding, in 10 years time it might be possible to walk/cycle all the way from Galway to Clifden without being on a public road, this would be the first step in that process...

The bridge was initially conceived to complete a circular walking route along Eglinton Canal and back along the river towards Spanish Arch, but the idea morphed into a greenway along the river towards Dangan, and the success of the Westport-Achill greenway has led to thoughts of a similar greenway from Clifden to Galway, along the old railway line, which would be a great facility for local recreation as well as tourism.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Its not intended for cyclists (primarily), but as another poster said, as part of a greenway that will also be useful to cyclists. Given funding, in 10 years time it might be possible to walk/cycle all the way from Galway to Clifden without being on a public road, this would be the first step in that process...

The bridge was initially conceived to complete a circular walking route along Eglinton Canal and back along the river towards Spanish Arch, but the idea morphed into a greenway along the river towards Dangan, and the success of the Westport-Achill greenway has led to thoughts of a similar greenway from Clifden to Galway, along the old railway line, which would be a great facility for local recreation as well as tourism.

Just to set the record straight.

The proposals to develop the old railway alignment as a a greenway have been around for as long as I have been involved in cycling in Galway. In particular Brendan Geoghegan the first chair of the Galway Cycling Campaign was plugging away at this 14 years ago.

In terms of first steps in the process - I also have a duty to make you aware that Galway County Council have already put the first section of the greenway in place in the form of a cycleway parallel to the N59 out near Clifden.

Just to set the record straight.

The proposals to develop the old railway alignment as a a greenway have been around for as long as I have been involved in cycling in Galway. In particular Brendan Geoghegan the first chair of the Galway Cycling Campaign was plugging away at this 14 years ago.

In terms of first steps in the process - I also have a duty to make you aware that Galway County Council have already put the first section of the greenway in place in the form of a cycleway parallel to the N59 out near Clifden.

Sorry, you're right, but the greenway has become much more of a possibility since the success of the Westport-Achill route. The new cycleway near Clifden was only made possible by the realignment of the road AFAIK and was not part of an overall Clifden-Galway greenway project, which is still to be formally proposed, no?

Sorry, you're right, but the greenway has become much more of a possibility since the success of the Westport-Achill route. The new cycleway near Clifden was only made possible by the realignment of the road AFAIK and was not part of an overall Clifden-Galway greenway project, which is still to be formally proposed, no?

Hmmm likely Westport Achill has finally proved the concept to more parochial elements. Clifden Galway is technically a bigger challenge than Wesport Achill. Reason being that the railway alignment has been built on in places. Also in some places the N59 now incorporates the old railway alignment. It is not merely going to a case of coming along and converting the existing track bed to a greenway. So the awkward sections will need some proposals worked up to "road scheme" state. The NRA have had a person dedicated to working up a national system of off-road routes for the last three years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Never found cycling in the city too bad.

I was as much a danger to other people as cars where to me. Rolling out of the scratcher and not being awake until I was almost at the door of work, tearing in and out of short-cuts here and there.

Would people have noticed a big change in the last 5-10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Haven't found cycling in the city bad. I personally think that there are more of Bad cyclists to Bad drivers. The only difference is the drivers have had training and know the rules of the road and should know better.

Point on bad cyclists.

No helmets!!!
    No Hi vis clothing
    No lights at night
    Running traffic lights
    No Hand signals
    cycling the wrong way on one way system
    Cycling on the footpaths or down shop street
    No understanding of the rules of the road.

I'm not trying to give out! I cycle to work every day and this is just my observations.

Tips of cyclists.

Be safe! (Ware the helmet it might look crap but it could save your life).
    Be seen (the majority of accidents happen because the driver didn't see you).
    Be Bold on the road (If you hug the curb drivers tend to bully you and over take dangerously).
    Plan your trip before you get on the bike. (think safe an extra 5mins can make the trip safer and more enjoyable).
    Beware undertaking ( we all do it just not with trucks and buses)
    Understanding (Learn the rules of the road).

If anyone has any other tips please add.

What I'm trying to get across is that we have very little control over traffic systems or driver but we have control on how we cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

topcat77 wrote: »
    No helmets!!! - NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED OR NEEDED FOR SAFETY
    No Hi vis clothing - NOT LEGALLY REQUIRED OR NEEDED FOR SAFETY
    No lights at night - This is horrendously stupid and the Gardai should be cracking down on it
    Running traffic lights - Illegal and often stupid, again the gardai should be out enforcing these rules
    No Hand signals - To the best of my knowledge a cyclists road position is often a reasonable substitute for hand signals as it may be dangerous in a situation to let go of the handlebars eg cyclist on the left could be turning left or going straight, either way don't overtake them on a junction, cyclist on the right, should be clear they are turning right etc.
    No understanding of the rules of the road - Alot of drivers seem to have no understanding of the rules of the road either from the last time I was driving in Galway, I think people forget, there are no stupid cyclists or stupid drivers, there are only stupid or ignorant people who are let control these vechicles.

Be safe! (Ware the helmet it might look crap but it could save your life). - Could also increase your risk of rotational spinal injury in a crash or end up choking you, its at a persons discretion if they wear a helmet and it should be left that way
    Be seen (the majority of accidents happen because the driver didn't see you). - you could also argue it is because said drivers were not paying enough attention
    Be Bold on the road (If you hug the curb drivers tend to bully you and over take dangerously). - Great advice and something the RSA should be pushing in their ads for cyclists as many new cyclists do not realise this

Just a few points of my own, if you do a search over on the cycling forum you will see the helmet/hi vis thing has been done to death, I won't go into the pros and cons of either as it is time consuming and ultimately pointless as people are generally rooted in their views.

Anyway back on topic, what are the gardai like for cracking down on traffic offences at peak traffic times. A week or two during term time on cracking down on both cyclists and drivers amber gambling and RLJing could do wonders, there certainly was an improvement in Dublin IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just saw the city development plan 2011 - 2017, the council are planning for a new bridge to go over the old railway stacks to connect a planned greenway coming into the city from the east to the planned greenway heading west through NUIG grounds to Clifden. What do people think of this? Is it likely to happen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

yer man! wrote: »
    Just saw the city development plan 2011 - 2017, the council are planning for a new bridge to go over the old railway stacks to connect a planned greenway coming into the city from the east to the planned greenway heading west through NUIG grounds to Clifden. What do people think of this? Is it likely to happen?

That's been mooted for years but the Corrib boat club adjacent have objected to it and have refused a land swap from the college a few years back in order for the project to progress. So it ain't gonna happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    That's been mooted for years but the Corrib boat club adjacent have objected to it and have refused a land swap from the college a few years back in order for the project to progress. So it ain't gonna happen.
    Slightly more to it than that. As I recall it, the funding for the proposed footbridge was a one-time "millennium" thing.

The proposed "land swap" came later, when the funding for the footbridge had gone, and was comprehensively voted down by the CR&YC membership. Had such a vote been carried (and there was a lot of effort put into it, including attempts to change the voting rules to lower the threshold required), the project would have come unstuck firstly for boring land law related reasons and secondly, for sexy environmental reasons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I believe the a very large ball in relation to funding the proposed Greenway bridge has been dropped in relation.

I'll leave it open to suggestion as to where the witchhunt may be started.

Hi

The county council is shortly to start considering a Walking and Cycling Strategy for the County.

I have started a thread in the Galway County Forum to try and capture works that might be needed. The thought occurs that some of the "city" cyclists would be familiar with the situation in some "county" locations as well.

Feel free to contribute

Robbo wrote: »
    I believe the a very large ball in relation to funding the proposed Greenway bridge has been dropped in relation.

I'll leave it open to suggestion as to where the witchhunt may be started.

If you mean the bridge between Fisheries Field and the college, that's almost complete - the full span is in place and they're currently installing the suspension cables, handrails etc.

If you mean the bridge between Fisheries Field and the college, that's almost complete - the full span is in place and they're currently installing the suspension cables, handrails etc.
    I was watching it being put up, the problem is there may not be the money to pay for it and other related works. More will emerge next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi

The county council is shortly to start considering a Walking and Cycling Strategy for the County.

What a joke!

Should have been started 15-20 years ago.

Hi

I don't know if the local cyclists have seen it but there is a thread going at the moment on updating the Openstreetmap data for the city.

This would actually be a very useful resource for cycling as well. The Cycling Campaign has a project to develop cycling maps of Galway and the main county towns. The information part is done but in order to publish it we need a usable set of map data. The costs of an Ordnance Survey licence preclude using their data set. If we had good open source data we could go with that.

We are using the Cheltenham Specification for Cycling Maps

http://www.cyclecheltenham.org.uk/map_standard.html

The idea is to have a map where you can see at a glance if there are suitable routes available to you getting from A to B and if there might be alternative routes that might offer more appropriate cycling conditions.

An example of the Warrington version of the map is downloadable from here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/map.htm

However they are monster files!

Anyhow if we could get the Galway city data finished it would be a big step on the way to getting the map published.

• Hi

I don't know if the local cyclists have seen it but there is a thread going at the moment on updating the Openstreetmap data for the city.

This would actually be a very useful resource for cycling as well. The Cycling Campaign has a project to develop cycling maps of Galway and the main county towns. The information part is done but in order to publish it we need a usable set of map data. The costs of an Ordnance Survey licence preclude using their data set. If we had good open source data we could go with that.

We are using the Cheltenham Specification for Cycling Maps

http://www.cyclecheltenham.org.uk/map_standard.html

The idea is to have a map where you can see at a glance if there are suitable routes available to you getting from A to B and if there might be alternative routes that might offer more appropriate cycling conditions.

An example of the Warrington version of the map is downloadable from here

However they are monster files!

Anyhow if we could get the Galway city data finished it would be a big step on the way to getting the map published.

Hi galwaycyclist,

If you look at the osm wiki page for Galway, I am planning on adding cycling data to osm soon, however if you have the data already that would speed up the good ten times over.

There is already a layer for cycling data in osm that you can use for free which you can select from inside the main map on openstreetmap.org or on www.opencyclemap.org. See link for Galway's current view under cycle map layer.

As you will see, its pretty bare of cycling info right now, and some of the current info may not be correct (haven't looked too closely yet) but I'm working on changing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The costs of an Ordnance Survey licence preclude using their data set.

You should be able to get the OSI licence a lot cheaper if it is educational/charity/non-commercial.
    Anyone wishing to reproduce Ordnance Survey Ireland material, or use it as a basis for their own publications, must obtain a licence from Ordnance Survey Ireland, for which a fee may be payable. [Emphasis added: IWH]
    http://www.osi.ie/Education/Copyright.aspx

TTBOMK the fee payable to the OSI is negotiable, and would not be at all prohibitive. The main expense would be in producing the map itself.

Or have you enquired already and received a non-affordable quote from the OSI?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    You should be able to get the OSI licence a lot cheaper if it is educational/charity/non-commercial.
    Anyone wishing to reproduce Ordnance Survey Ireland material, or use it as a basis for their own publications, must obtain a licence from Ordnance Survey Ireland, for which a fee may be payable. [Emphasis added: IWH]
    http://www.osi.ie/Education/Copyright.aspx

TTBOMK the fee payable to the OSI is negotiable, and would not be at all prohibitive. The main expense would be in producing the map itself.

Or have you enquired already and received a non-affordable quote from the OSI?

That is for publication, the rates are usually quite reasonable for that alright, but to actually obtain datasets for use in GIS-type mapping software is prohibitively expensive, no matter what the intended use. Believe me, I've been using OSI data for many years and it costs a fortune!

That is for publication, the rates are usually quite reasonable for that alright, but to actually obtain datasets for use in GIS-type mapping software is prohibitively expensive, no matter what the intended use. Believe me, I've been using OSI data for many years and it costs a fortune!

Zzippy as your an expert in this GIS area - what would be the best way(I.E cheapest/non OSI) to try and achieve the color layering done in the Warrington version of the map?

• Not to cut across zippy, but OSM with openlayers would do what you want and for free.

Only thing you have to do is add the data to OSM, and set up openlayers to render to whatever preference style you want and hey presto.

As an example, here's Oxford under normal OSM layer, opencyclemap.org layer and also a layer devised by Oxford transportparadise.co.uk

Zzippy as your an expert in this GIS area - what would be the best way(I.E cheapest/non OSI) to try and achieve the color layering done in the Warrington version of the map?

Definitely not an expert, an end-user alright, and I've seen how much our organisation has to pay for OSI data. I've also paid for print licences from OSI for non-profit use in the past.

By sounds of it Alaric Straight Popgun knows a lot more than me about how to go about it

Thanks Alaric Straight Popgun and Zzippy - that is very useful information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Lacha

Does anyone have experience of cycling in Galway city? Would it be do-able to and cycle from Knocknacarra to Renmore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement