Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling/Walking around the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If they enforced the traffic laws that might just solve Galways traffic woes because 50% of us would be kicked off the streets. But as others have said... just get on with it. A-holes are universal.

Back to topic, addressing existing cycle lanes would be pretty cheap and make a big difference. I would never use the footpath if I didn't have to. Coming down by the rahoon cemetary the cars often leave no room so I get to play wing-mirror chicken... but then the roads often weren't planned with cyclists in mind. Another problem is crossing roundabouts at the same time as a car, they often cut corners driving across and edge you close to the curb. I despise the q-bridge type cycle lanes which are raised along with the footpath. As someone else mentioned it sucks that these aren't cleared of glass whereas if they were level with the road I beleive they would. Last winter I got several flats, all of them along the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

newkie wrote: »
    Coming down by the rahoon cemetary the cars often leave no room so I get to play wing-mirror chicken... but then the roads often weren't planned with cyclists in mind.

Agree - there are plans for this section of road you mention. City Council want to put in a bus lane inbound
    See:
    Public Notice: Part 8 Rahoon Road Bus Lane [Revised Dates]

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/060711_02.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Agree - there are plans for this section of road you mention. City Council want to put in a bus lane inbound
    See:
    Public Notice: Part 8 Rahoon Road Bus Lane [Revised Dates]

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/060711_02.html

There's a discussion about this proposal in the Seamus Quirke Road thread.

There will likely be much objection from locals. Cyclists and motorists. The proposed 'widening' is for a very short space, and only begins below the graveyard to the man road. The merge looks dangerous from the plans, particularly at the entrance to Rockfield Park. It's a cycle lane outbound, and a bus lane (and perhaps a cycle lane too) outbound. The engineers already revised plans to avoid land grabs. Not sure if it will happen tbh.
    The only buses that will use this, or have permission to stop will be City Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

celty wrote: »
    Are the fumes that bad? I couldn't imagine cycling to work every day in Bangkok or Delhi, where you'd definitely need a face mask ... in Galway, I still tell myself that I'm breathing in fresh air!

You're probably right. But traffic is relatively light even in the evenings now. Come September when the schools + college are back, and you get a mild evening with no wind, there's probably a couple of km on my route where I'd be spinning past the traffic jams clogging up the air. We shall see!

On the topic of cyclists not obeying the rules of the road - yeah okay we all do it to one extent or another. However consider this - you filter up through traffic to the front of a queue at traffic lights. The traffic is still stopped and the pedestrian lights go green. Technically you should wait with the traffic. But if you go early, during the pedestrian light, it means the traffic in the lane behind isn't pissed off waiting for your relatively slow cyclist acceleration.

Good example is crossing the Q-bridge going west. You're in the cycle lane approaching the junction, the lights are red. The cross traffic is green. You filter onto the road just in front of the traffic and wait. Then the cross traffic lights go red, pedestrian goes green. I tend to go right away rather than wait - I'll make it all the way to the hospital roundabout before the traffic catches me. End result is no one is pissed off. :-)
    (until I act the crazy cyclist on the roundabout by taking the 4th exit while staying in the outside lane, just as the rules of the road instruct!).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Oooh one other thing that might be more suited to the Cycling forum, but is a cyclist entitled to not use the cycle lane? Say there's a perfectly good cycle lane but the cyclist chooses to cycle in the regular traffic lane instead... is that perfectly legal? (and just perhaps a tad inconsiderate to the motorists)

• Advertisement

Morgoth wrote: »
    Oooh one other thing that might be more suited to the Cycling forum, but is a cyclist entitled to not use the cycle lane? Say there's a perfectly good cycle lane but the cyclist chooses to cycle in the regular traffic lane instead... is that perfectly legal? (and just perhaps a tad inconsiderate to the motorists)

Yes its more of a cycle forum question. Its been raised there before.
    It depends on the signs that are on place in the cycle path. Paint markings on the path on its own do not mean anything without the correct signs.
    See:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a14

and the following boards post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57778733&postcount=21

and
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055926714&page=2

I dont believe there are any legal cycle paths in Galway city based on above. Am open to correction on that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Good example is crossing the Q-bridge going west. You're in the cycle lane approaching the junction, the lights are red. The cross traffic is green. You filter onto the road just in front of the traffic and wait. Then the cross traffic lights go red, pedestrian goes green. I tend to go right away rather than wait - I'll make it all the way to the hospital roundabout before the traffic catches me. End result is no one is pissed off. :-)

This is one of those sticks that is regularly used to beat cyclists. Running red lights is one of things that gets us a lot of bad publicity - especially pedestrian crossings. (I understand that you're not simply ignoring the lights but that its a carefully considered tactic on your part).

The problem with that is that the way Irish traffic engineers try to use traffic lights would be considered bizarre in some other Northern European countries so just attacking cyclists as law breakers is not reasonable either.

For instance in the Netherlands, at the Newcastle junction you describe, they might put in a four-way green for the cyclists, so your manouevre would be perfectly legal.

(until I act the crazy cyclist on the roundabout by taking the 4th exit while staying in the outside lane, just as the rules of the road instruct!).

1) I wouldnt necessarily trust advice from the RSA see if you can get the Cycle Campaign cycle skills leaflets at the library.

2) You might get away with this at Corrib park because all the exits you cross in this instance are single lane. Also the traffic heading for Westside from the bridge tends to stay in the left lane. If you did this where you are crossing double lane exits this tactic might put you in increased danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Running red lights is one of things that gets us a lot of bad publicity - especially pedestrian crossings.

I always yield to pedestrians at crossings and I never cycle on foot paths but I'll stop jumping red lights when the majority of motorists obey the city speed limit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I point to Galway cyclists and I point to this. That is all.

Greenfieldism, am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Robbo,

I have to say I agree with Whineflu more than you, as a car owner who cycles now virtually all of the time.

If motorists even noticed bikes, I would not 'jump' red lights. But I do, because it's safer for me than taking a turn and 'competing' with cars.

That said, I would NEVER cycle the wrong way down a one way street or on a footpath.

Who's the dude in the pic BTW? Hope he's ok with it being pasted up on boards!

• Advertisement

That said, I would NEVER cycle the wrong way down a one way street..

Ah yes but why shouldn't you be able to? Bremen started making one-way streets two-way for cyclists in 1980. In Brussels, all one-way streets are two-way for cyclists by default unless there is some specific reason not to let them. German data suggests that making one-way streets two-way for cyclists lead to a reduction in the overall number of collisions.

Making Galway's one-way streets two-way was first suggested in a 1979 report.

The Irish traffic regulations were changed in 1998 to facilitate two-way exemptions for cyclists.

Get this: In 2004 Galway's elected city council voted to put a specific provision in the city development plan committing the city to exploring the option of making the one-way streets two-way for cyclists where feasible. This decision was recorded in the meeting minutes but strangely never appeared in the published city development plan.

galwaycyclist,

would this involve special lanes for cyclists going the 'wrong way'. I've seen numerous cyclists get into near scrapes on narrow Galway streets such as Abbeygate St because they've been foolish enough to cycle the wrong way.

Whineflu's point about motorists not obeying the speed limit is a good one too. I've lost count of the number of times motorists have beeped at me for trying to make a right turn ... while they are zooming towards me at well over the speed limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Whineflu's point about motorists not obeying the speed limit is a good one too. I've lost count of the number of times motorists have beeped at me for trying to make a right turn ... while they are zooming towards me at well over the speed limit!
    I find that a problem when I'm turning right into the IDA Park in Dangan - a lot of motorists accelerate to the amber (running the red light in some cases) while I'm trying to make the turn.

galwaycyclist,

would this involve special lanes for cyclists going the 'wrong way'. I've seen numerous cyclists get into near scrapes on narrow Galway streets such as Abbeygate St because they've been foolish enough to cycle the wrong way.

Long story short it depends on the nature of the street and the traffic. Much of the medieaval core of the city should have a 30kph speed limit anyway. (This would be standard elsewhere in Europe).

The first step should be to try and eliminate one-way streets generally. The use of one-way streets is a means whereby traffic engineers try to get more cars through a constricted space. So at Prospect Hill/Foster St/Eyre Square one-way streets have been used to create a big roundabout - there is a plan for a similar thing down the west on Dominick street/Fair Hill.

Galway is a historical city. Should we be trying to get more and more cars through a historical city anyway? Or should we stop trying? Car traffic will always grow to occupy the capacity provided for it.

Where traffic speeds and volumes are low - there should be no need for cycle lanes. On some roads there might be a need to remove or relocate car parking so as to provide more width. (The roads were probably made one-way to provide car parking in the first place without any regard for the wider effects). e.g Nuns Island where bizarrely enough, the city made it illegal for kids to cycle to school from the West.

On a narrow road like Abbygate street, people will just have to negotiate with each other. It happens all the time on narrow single lane roads that happen to be two-way.

Where roads are multilane, or have heavy traffic, a contraflow cycle lane might be needed.

There is a Belgian video here

Duel on the one way street
    http://www.gracq.be/CAPSULES/SUL

Its a bit long but it illustrates the concept of negotiation in narrow spaces.

Here's something Galway cyclists need to be looking at

"Bothar na dTreabh (N6) Multi Modal Corridor Improvement Scheme Phase 3 Part VIII Planning Application Font and Morris Roundabouts"

These are the proposals to replace the big roundabouts at the Tuam rd and the N6 at Ballybane/Ballybrit with traffic lights. This is currently out for public consultation.

Anyone who works in Boston Scientific/Hewlett Packard should have an interest in this. Likewise anyone who cycles into the city via the Monivea Rd from Ballybrit/Castlepark/Doughiska.

People who work in Parkmore should also take a keen interest.

The closing date for observations on this is the 29th of August.

It is likely cycling interests will be meeting with the engineers to discuss the designs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

Two years ago I bought nice expensive bike as I always love to cycle.
    Sold it after 6 months, because I was almost killed twice and was tired of breathing in exaust fumes and beeing descrimiated on the street by car drivers.
    No paths for bikes i this town unfortunately and roundabouts are a nightmare.

Hi

There is a "Workplace Cycle Champions" project kicking off shortly in conjunction with the Chamber of Commerce. It relates to the subsidised bike parking the Chamber already offers its members and also the "Bike to work" scheme.

The champions scheme will provide subsidised cycle skills training to existing cycle commuters. The idea is that they can act as mentors to support colleagues who want try cycling to work.

The instruction will be carried out to the English National Standard and goes up to handling multilane roundabouts.
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Training_and_Education/TheClientStandard_ver4.doc

Before the main scheme starts there will be few dry runs to test potential training location. Ideally this needs a few guinea pigs to play the role of the students. If you think you might benefit from a bit of free coaching in traffic skills for cyclists then pm me and we'll see if we can fit you in one of the trial runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Just had to say the new cycle lane at the junction of newcastle rd and quincentinnel bridge is excellent. It gives me great hope for the rest of this upgrade of n6 with cyclists and pedestrians in mind. I cycle from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit and at current it is a deadly route mainly as what cycle lanes there are end at roundabouts and junctions. if they continue with this type of integrated junctions all the way over I hope it will encourage more cyclists. I have been extremely skeptical of this upgrade due to past projects undertaken by city council but must say this project could be a great success (for cyclists anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Hi

There is a "Workplace Cycle Champions" project kicking off shortly in conjunction with the Chamber of Commerce. It relates to the subsidised bike parking the Chamber already offers its members and also the "Bike to work" scheme.

The champions scheme will provide subsidised cycle skills training to existing cycle commuters. The idea is that they can act as mentors to support colleagues who want try cycling to work.

The instruction will be carried out to the English National Standard and goes up to handling multilane roundabouts.
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Training_and_Education/TheClientStandard_ver4.doc

Before the main scheme starts there will be few dry runs to test potential training location. Ideally this needs a few guinea pigs to play the role of the students. If you think you might benefit from a bit of free coaching in traffic skills for cyclists then pm me and we'll see if we can fit you in one of the trial runs.

Brilliant.

What about introducing cyclists to those new junction layouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 solid oak

sonandheir wrote: »
    Just had to say the new cycle lane at the junction of newcastle rd and quincentinnel bridge is excellent. It gives me great hope for the rest of this upgrade of n6 with cyclists and pedestrians in mind. I cycle from Knocknacarra to Ballybrit and at current it is a deadly route mainly as what cycle lanes there are end at roundabouts and junctions. if they continue with this type of integrated junctions all the way over I hope it will encourage more cyclists. I have been extremely skeptical of this upgrade due to past projects undertaken by city council but must say this project could be a great success (for cyclists anyway)

Is this new cycle route open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

solid oak wrote: »
    Is this new cycle route open yet?

Its not really a route, just a nicely integrated cycle lane to the road. I am impressed with it. However guys at work are wondering how long it will be before a car unknowingly drives up onto the cycle path.

The junction seems to be fully finished anyway. I've noticed over the past few years that the cycle lane is better to cycle on now. What I mean by that is that there seems to be less glass. I haven't punctured on normal tyres in about 2 years. Plus the students are mostly very good at keeping off the cycle lane.

I cycle whenever the weather permits (hate cycling in rain) or the other half really needs the car.

Sniipe wrote: »
    Its not really a route, just a nicely integrated cycle lane to the road. I am impressed with it. However guys at work are wondering how long it will be before a car unknowingly drives up onto the cycle path.

The junction seems to be fully finished anyway. I've noticed over the past few years that the cycle lane is better to cycle on now. What I mean by that is that there seems to be less glass. I haven't punctured on normal tyres in about 2 years. Plus the students are mostly very good at keeping off the cycle lane.

I cycle whenever the weather permits (hate cycling in rain) or the other half really needs the car.

I was out today with the two snappers. Waterproof trousers and an extra rain cover on the trailer took care of the weather. I didn't even encounter any dangerous overtakers.

I had a look at a section of the SQR alterations, and I can see where the cyclepath 'off-ramps' are situated near junctions (eg in front of the church/library).

Time to introduce Galway to Copenhagen Blue?

3800816936_c845104069.jpg

It really is hard to believe that after all the mistakes made in the past, particularly the inadequate cycle lane across the Quincentenary Bridge, that there seem to be problems now with the Seamus Quirke Road lanes even before the open.

Bizarrely, the may even need to be redesigned before they've even opened.

Galway City Council seem to be making no effort to encourage people to cycle to work or school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just to note, the Council failed to use the allocated government funding for the new pedestrian/cycle bridge between nuig & fisheries field. The project is now in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

snubbleste wrote: »
    Just to note, the Council failed to use the allocated government funding for the new pedestrian/cycle bridge between nuig & fisheries field. The project is now in jeopardy.
    They failed to use the funding before year end. This 'use it or lose it' approach by the likes of the DoT is what allows city officials to coerce city councillors into approving bad schemes. It's also worth noting the comments from NUIG about their issues with the short amount of time between approval and deadline for draw down of funds. It feels like I'm defending the city council here, I feel dirty now.

snubbleste wrote: »

Would it make much of a difference anyhow if it was in place for pedestrians and cyclists? Council are still idiots - not defending them for not drawing down the money, question is was it a good spending of money in the first place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah it would. It would open up the Fisheries Field area, which is currently a dead-end. Remove pedestrian/cyclist traffic from University Road and shorten (slightly) the distance between the campus and the city centre.
    If you look at the place where this bridge is to go, you'd wonder why it was not put there years ago.

• Advertisement

ciotog wrote: »
    They failed to use the funding before year end. This 'use it or lose it' approach by the likes of the DoT is what allows city officials to coerce city councillors into approving bad schemes. It's also worth noting the comments from NUIG about their issues with the short amount of time between approval and deadline for draw down of funds. It feels like I'm defending the city council here, I feel dirty now.

Ego te absolvo. Go and sin no more.

Unless the facts justify such otherwise scandalous behaviour, of course.

Thing is, the Council is right to point out that the timeframe was unrealistic. In the current economic climate it may even have been a ruse by central government to avoid spending the money. There are anecdotal reports of sneaky ways being found by different departments and agencies to thwart legitimate funding allocations. Then they can deny that any cutbacks are taking place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement