Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

• 25-09-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

An 13.5km ring road and bypass of the town of Tralee, the major part of it to be a dual carriageway which will carry almost 19,000 vehicles a day, has been given approval by An Bord Pleanála, writes Anne Lucey.
    The compulsory purchase order of land from almost 80 landowners has also been approved. The go-ahead follows an oral hearing in Tralee in January . It will involve a number of rail crossings as well as river and minor road crossings.
    The approval has been widely welcomed as a means of easing congestion and reducing journey times. Yesterday a council spokesman welcomed the board’s decision.
    The total cost is expected to be in excess of €120 million.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0925/1224255209031.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

19000 vehicles a day, i wouldn't have thought traffic down there would be that heavy. Any maps of this scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Roryhy wrote: »
    19000 vehicles a day, i wouldn't have thought traffic down there would be that heavy. Any maps of this scheme?

19,000 does seem quite high but it caters 3 national routes: the N69, N21 and N22.

It doesnt extend out to the N86 which is one of its many flaws. It also has 6 roundabouts. Tralee does need a bypass, the developments near Manor West have caused a huge increase in traffic congestion going into the town.

A map of the scheme:

thefile,464,en.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The N86 is sort-of bypassed already, that might be their logic (poor as it is)

MYOB wrote: »
    The N86 is sort-of bypassed already, that might be their logic (poor as it is)

Yeah its very poor, you encounter 4 roundabouts. One of which is very dangerous as it's too small(N70) for the amount of traffic that uses it.

Not surprisingly developments have hampered the route also with a cinema and apartments going up beside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Who decided to name that place Ratass :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

I predict that this scheme will go to site about 6 months before the CPO lapses.

By the way, in case anyone is interested the Tralee Bypass forms part of the NRA's Project Appraisal Guidelines. Download it and you get a much better idea of the scheme.

Linkypoos

I predict that this scheme will go to site about 6 months before the CPO lapses.

2018?

Can't remember if it's 5 years or not. Mallow Northern Bypass was the last scheme they allowed the CPO's to lapse.

Wasnt that because they zoned a pile of commerical land where the northern bypass was supposed to go?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why is the N22 route from Killarney being rerouted south of its current alignment? Surely it would be more cost effective to keep its original junction with the N21 and dual the section from there into Tralee?

Also, it's not really a bypass, it's a ring road of sorts. It should also link up with the N86, an important tourist route.

Finally, given the current fiscal climate, I don't envisage this road being started any sooner than 2012 or thereabouts, but I might be wrong. Local politics will have a role, as always in this country, to play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why is the N22 route from Killarney being rerouted south of its current alignment? Surely it would be more cost effective to keep its original junction with the N21 and dual the section from there into Tralee?

Hey, I thought the exact same! The N21 has been well upgraded to that roundabout in recent years and is very good quality.
    I don't see the need for the new N22, seems a bit frivalous to me and on the map comprises a huge portion of the scheme and consequently the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The N22 alignment is a good idea. It frees up traffic of two national routes depending on only one entrance to the town.

The N86 extension is lacking here. I find that odd, since that is the busiest route through Tralee especially during Summer.

I can see this scheme going ahead next year for some reason. Its a cheap build and is development frenzy driven to me. It would go ahead sooner than later imo.

Could be wrong tho!

Roryhy wrote: »

At peak times traffic could rise to that on the N21 junction with the Tralee bypass. Since many developments will spring up off this ring road like every ring road of this nature:rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if it exceeds this figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Why is the N22 route from Killarney being rerouted south of its current alignment?.

My understanding is that the recent upgrade of the N21 (ballycarty-tralee) was proposed to be dual-carriageway. However, due to the existance of a rather ancient oak woods on the route, planning permission was refused for d-c.
    hence the reason for the new route serving the tralee-killarney (n22).

Also, it's not really a bypass, it's a ring road of sorts. It should also link up with the N86, an important tourist route.

You're assessment is absolutely correct.
    The proposed plan has 2 major failings of scope:
    1. connection with N86 (dingle road).
    - traffic will effectively be dumped onto the n70 (at effectively a "T" junction) and still have to continue on existing infrastructure to N86
    - i imagine the rationale here is that there is no agreement on how best to by-pass the village of Blennerville on the N86
    2. connection with R558.
    - due to significant housing expansion on the villages along the R558 road (ardfert, ballyheigue, etc) there has been a significant increase in traffic volumes on this road (i don't have numbers - but i have been stuck in traffic there!!)
    - it would seem logical to extended the proposed road to join the R558
    - maybe this is part 2 of the plan?

Are they going to start this shortly. Also would it be the council building this. It really is needed. There is ALOT of unessecary tourist traffic going to Tralee to get to the N86 and Ballyheige roads around the town. The roads through the town are shocking. A fast growing town of 26,000 needs this kind of infrastructure with or without national route traffic.

if you take a look at the County Development plan on the kerry co co website http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/planning/planspolicies/countydevelopmentplan2009-2015/
    specifically the Transport pdf you'll find some maps of proposed routes.
    - the N22 tralee bypass map is on page 9
    - the N21 castleisland bypass map is on page 10
    - the N22 farranfore to killarney map is on page 11
    - the R558 to N86 western bypass map is on page 12
    - the R556 to R558 northern bypass map is on page 17

so it seems that there is a staged proposal to build a full ring route around tralee. still I don't see a proposal for bypassing blennerville.

It's our own Périphérique!!! :cool:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulevard_P%C3%A9riph%C3%A9rique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

This is something that Kerry does not need at the moment, it is tantamount to a waste of money. What Kerry needs in terms of infrastructure is to have the Macroom Bypass bringing a Motorway from the county bounds to the South ring in Cork bypassing Macroom, Ballyvourney and Lissarda. Also what is needed is for the M20 to extended from north of Adare south bypassing Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale. The Castleisland bypass is a white elephant in the making as it is 1X1 when it should have been built to Motorway spec and extend this into Tralee then.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote: »
    This is something that Kerry does not need at the moment, it is tantamount to a waste of money. What Kerry needs in terms of infrastructure is to have the Macroom Bypass bringing a Motorway from the county bounds to the South ring in Cork bypassing Macroom, Ballyvourney and Lissarda. Also what is needed is for the M20 to extended from north of Adare south bypassing Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale. The Castleisland bypass is a white elephant in the making as it is 1X1 when it should have been built to Motorway spec and extend this into Tralee then.

Tralee is a town of 25,000 with a high amount of tourist traffic going through it. Many towns of it size have ring roads built around the town. It is needed, just because you don't think it's needed doesn't mean so.

Tralee is a town 7 times bigger than Macroom. Lets get to basics.

mysterious wrote: »
    Tralee is a town of 25,000 with a high amount of tourist traffic going through it. Many towns of it size have ring roads built around the town. It is needed, just because you don't think it's needed doesn't mean so.

Tralee is a town 7 times bigger than Macroom. Lets get to basics.

I am not really concerned with anything to do with Macroom other than the fact that the town stands in the way of connecting all of South Kerry and most of West Cork both to Cork and Dublin (Via the M8). If Kerry was motorway connected to the South Ring it would allow for greater access to Cork and also to a lesser degree Dublin. The needs of the towns are not what is important it is what is important to the Country.

Similarly with the entire Dublin first mentality that saw all the money spent there which only crashed their economy in the long run and left the regions outside devastated. Sustainable regional development is needed and by tying the likes of Kerry in with Cork and limerick will allow for greater competitiveness for all three regions and with excellent links to Dublin via the M8 and M7 it is a sure fire way to attract investment and build the economy. Building a ring road around Tralee will only create a few construction jobs and lead to more unsustainable development like the Manor West monstrosity which has killed Tralee town centre.

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Also what is needed is for the M20 to extended from north of Adare south bypassing Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale. The Castleisland bypass is a white elephant in the making as it is 1X1 when it should have been built to Motorway spec and extend this into Tralee then.

Castleisland bypass is 2+2. The AADT on the N21 is too low to justify any motorway builds. The highest spec of road Kerry will ever get(and need) is 2+2 IMO.

We need to get realistic here and face the fact that NONE of Kerry needs motorway. DC should end just west of Macroom and south of Adare on the two main feeder roads. Nothing else in Kerry needs to be DC/motorway. Maybe a little bit of 2+2 near the TOWNS, but S2 will be fine for anything else.

So with all the flooding, we had some road closures however, the proposed by-pass would not have solved the problem.

The N70 (castlemaine) rd was closed at Lidl.
    It was also closed at Ballymullen.

Therefore the link to Castlemaine & Dingle was blocked forcing the traffic through the middle of tralee.

As the proposed by-pass does not provide a southern section, linking, N70 / N22 to south of blennerville, the diversions would have stood.

Pity that.

fresca wrote: »
    As the proposed by-pass does not provide a southern section, linking, N70 / N22 to south of blennerville, the diversions would have stood.

Yeah the flooding was very bad around that section, the bypass design was very shortsighted. Also roundabouts wont cut it for the national route connections preferably GSJ's for the N21, N69 and N22 junctions.

I would like the NRA to put a traffic counter on the N21 Ballycarty to Tralee section, no traffic counts recored on the N21 in Kerry, the AADT is well past 12 or 13K along there.

Also thanks for the pics on the bypass thread. :)

traffic counter in Camp, Ballyseedy at junction with N70.
    (leaving tralee on n70, take first left for camp / ballyseedy / farmer's bridge - counter just feet from junction)
    assume this is part of investigation for tralee bypass.

traffic counter on tralee - farranfore road (n22)
    maybe 500m north of level crossing at farranfore.

fresca wrote: »
    traffic counter on tralee - farranfore road (n22)
    maybe 500m north of level crossing at farranfore.

So thats what what that was, I though it was some sort of temporary electrical extension cable across the road! There were also fellas around the town doing a survey in St. John's carpark and out near Aldi at Manor alse, they appeared to be recording into a personal recorder as if making note of vehicle occupancy or something.

• Advertisement

See http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/advertsnotices/title,3163,en.html

Tralee Traffic & Transportation Study

Released: 19 November 2009
    Kerry County Council & Tralee Town Council are carrying out a Traffic and Transportation Study for Tralee Town. The primary purpose of the Study is to determine what measures will be required to resolve existing traffic and transport issues in Tralee and its environs.
    A key element of this study is the development of a Traffic Model for the town, assessing traffic congestion, parking, and safety issues. The study will also look at how public transport services could be expanded or improved, and will also examine the current situation for cyclists and pedestrians and how these could be improved going forward.
    An important aspect of the overall study is consultation with local groups. Many sectors, including schools, transport providers, and hospitals have been contacted with an invitation to express their views on current traffic, parking, or any other transport related issue.
    An online survey is available on the Kerry County Council website for residents and visitors to Tralee to provide important information about their usual commute and the issues experienced.
    This survey is accessible to the entire community. Website facilities are available at Kerry County Library located in Moyderwell, Tralee, Co. Kerry. A prize is being offered for participation in the survey. See www.traleetravelsurvey.org for details.
    Your participation in this survey is very important as it will make a significant contribution to both developing a comprehensive understating of transport issues in Tralee and identifying best transport solutions for the future.

Advertisement