Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football fanatic sees light and converts to rugby

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

forbesii wrote: »
    and this is a good thing?

i used an extreme but familiar example , look beyond that to the core point
    what he said will resonate with many non rugby loyalists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭gjim

i used an extreme but familiar example , look beyond that to the core point
    what he said will resonate with many non rugby loyalists
    Excuse me but what a bunch of b*llox. Inter-fan violence or the threat of it has absolutely nothing to do with the importance or popularity of soccer. Recent experience in England suggests that soccer has become far MORE popular as the unsavioury elements have been tackeled and eliminated. Here in Ireland, the fans of a particular Dublin soccer club have been involved in a number of violent incidents in recent years; in your world, that would make FAI club soccer more significant than GAA or rugby. Violence and bad behaviour has nothing to do with a sport's significance or popularity.

Just because you read some sh*te a journalist has written which confirms your prejudice doesn't make it true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

gjim wrote: »
    Excuse me but what a bunch of b*llox. Inter-fan violence or the threat of it has absolutely nothing to do with the importance or popularity of soccer. Recent experience in England suggests that soccer has become far MORE popular as the unsavioury elements have been tackeled and eliminated. Here in Ireland, the fans of a particular Dublin soccer club have been involved in a number of violent incidents in recent years; in your world, that would make FAI club soccer more significant than GAA or rugby. Violence and bad behaviour has nothing to do with a sport's significance or popularity.

Just because you read some sh*te a journalist has written which confirms your prejudice doesn't make it true.

if your not familiar with the article by declan lynch , it may not be possible for you to appreciate what he was saying , neither him or i claimed that soccers popularity was down to any violence by fans that may accompanay it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

yours and his arguement are ridiculous though. just because declan lynch dosent care for rugby doesnt mean a significant number of people dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭gjim

if your not familiar with the article by declan lynch , it may not be possible for you to appreciate what he was saying , neither him or i claimed that soccers popularity was down to any violence by fans that may accompanay it
    What are you on about man? You said
    at the end of the day rugby doesnt really matter , as he put it , when celtic play rangers , you have to have barbed wire fences seperating both set of fans and they each drink afterwards in there own watering holes
    and I said is that it's b*llox to claim that it's the "violence or THREAT of violence between fans" that makes soccer important. The barbed wire is there simply because there is possibility of violence and no other reason. Dress it up whatever way you want but that's a fairly straightforward reading of your claim.

Listen, your not the first person to read something by some journalist which supports their prejudice and ignorance but don't expect us all to lap it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement