Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free wifi in the city?

• 25-03-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Am back in galway Friday and need to work remotely there for the day but have no wi fi in house I'll be in. Anyone know anywhere handy I could use for the day as don't fancy spending day sitting in mc Donald's. Was thinking of using the college but they prob request student username and password.

Help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Several pubs have free wifi. Get a few coffee, lunch, beer and work away.

Nuig had free open wifi at one point but not sure if its still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Library. Put in your library card number.

Network seems a bit dodgy though, I wouldn't go buying diamonds on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't mind sharing my username and password for college wifi with you, provided you don't run riot with my Blackboard account. :p If you're stuck, PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

mjp wrote: »
    Am back in galway Friday and need to work remotely there for the day but have no wi fi in house I'll be in. Anyone know anywhere handy I could use for the day as don't fancy spending day sitting in mc Donald's. Was thinking of using the college but they prob request student username and password.

Help much appreciated.

Contact 901 Labs. I was in a similar predicament and they offered to help me out. In the end I didn't need their help but they were very open to helping out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Yeah, pubs and cafes. It's proper form to buy something to avail of it though.

I would recommend Blakes pub on Mary/Eglinton street as you will get a fine lunch there and the staff are very decent.

Massimo do a good lunch deal and have wifi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I would recommend Blakes pub on Mary/Eglinton street as you will get a fine lunch there and the staff are very decent.

Staff are very nice alright, only had tea/coffee there with a friend, but the last 2 or 3 times I was in it was *wedged* (good for them) and way too noisy to do any work at peak times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Contact 901 Labs. I was in a similar predicament and they offered to help me out. In the end I didn't need their help but they were very open to helping out

You mean 091 Labs? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Cafe Express, upstairs. There's a plug socket at one of the window seats. It can be busy but I never found it distracting. Staff are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Wompa1 wrote: »

FYI http://091labs.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Do you not have a smartphone ? Just tether to your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Do you not have a smartphone ? Just tether to your laptop.

+1. Depends on your data limit and usage though. I'm with three and have unlimited 4g which is usually faster than any available wifi so i just tether with that. Ts and Cs say tethering is not allowed but i use it regularly. I don't take the p1ss though and rarely go above 5gb so it doesn't seem to be an issue. I can imagine if you use excessive data under tethering then they'll pull you on it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

zarquon wrote: »
    +1. Depends on your data limit and usage though. I'm with three and have unlimited 4g which is usually faster than any available wifi so i just tether with that. Ts and Cs say tethering is not allowed but i use it regularly. I don't take the p1ss though and rarely go above 5gb so it doesn't seem to be an issue. I can imagine if you use excessive data under tethering then they'll pull you on it

I'm with three too and actually had tethered my phone connected to my wifi and lost wifi connection so it downloaded 19 gigs from my 4g connection lol Nothing happened and it was faster than the WIFI connection I had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cppilot98

Probably won't help you but UPC has something called Horizon wi-free. You can use any UPC customers wi-fi. I find it very handy at times. There are a lot of UPC customers in Galway so a hot spot isn't hard to find.

If you're not a customer but you knew one and they trust you. They might give the login and password.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 glassdaisies

+1 for Cafe Express in Eyre Square, I spent nearly every morning there when I was in town. They don't mind if you hang around a while, really tasty food, too. Not pricey at all.

Also, I had no problem finding wifi in almost every pub and cafe that I went into.

Advertisement