Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "All In The Cooking" old cookbook thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hazel2011

Hi Everyone,:D
    My goodness I would love soooo much to get my hands on this book, I have been in search of this for quite some time . it is for my own use only. My mother-in-law gave me this book as a gift but with moving house unfortunately a box of my loved books went missing :(.
    Please please please if any one does decide to sell their copy or know where I can buy one ....let me know.
    Thanks, Hazel2011
    ps....Unfortunately I cant afford to spend 1oo's euros on this book

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭frisket

Hazel2011 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,:D
    My goodness I would love soooo much to get my hands on this book, I have been in search of this for quite some time . it is for my own use only. My mother-in-law gave me this book as a gift but with moving house unfortunately a box of my loved books went missing :(.
    Please please please if any one does decide to sell their copy or know where I can buy one ....let me know.
    Thanks, Hazel2011
    ps....Unfortunately I cant afford to spend 1oo's euros on this book

Once I am free of current commitments (Sept/Oct) I will make a formal approach to the publishers about doing a reissue.

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Hazel2011

Thank you so much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

I too have a copy so can post recipes if needed:D Good ole home economics days:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marny55

is there any chance somebody could post the Sherry Trifle recipe?

Its from the All In The Cooking Cookbook i think.

• Advertisement

marny55 wrote: »
    is there any chance somebody could post the Sherry Trifle recipe?

Trifle

6 small sponge cakes, or one 20cm sponge cake
    Raspberry jam
    2 tablesp. sugar
    2 tablesp. water
    1 glass sherry

For the custard:
    250ml milk
    2 eggs
    1 level tablesp. sugar
    Flavouring

To decorate:
    250ml whipped and sweetened cream
    Cherries, angelica and shredded almonds

Method:
    1. Split the sponge cakes, spread jam between, prick with a fork and cut into three of four pieces, and arrange in a glass dish.
    2. Put sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil, boil for 2 minutes. Cool and add sherry.
    3. Pour this syrup over the sponge cakes, and leave soaking for about 20 minutes.
    4. Make the custard as on page 153. Allow to cool, and pour over the sponge cakes.
    5. When cold, pipe roses of cream on top.
    6. Decorate with cut cherries, angelica and shredded almonds

[My note: don't put almonds on top until the last second before serving, or they will go soggy.]

p.153:
    Custard Sauce

1 egg
    200ml milk
    1 teasp. sugar
    Flavouring

[My note: this is for the pouring variety. The ingredients given under "Trifle" are needed for a custard that will set. The method is the same. By "Flavouring" the authors probably meant a little bottle of vanilla essence. You would need 3-4 drops as it is usually very strong. Nowadays you would let a vanilla pod soak in the milk for an hour or so beforehand, or even scrape the insides into the milk.]

1. Beat the egg with the sugar and flavouring.
    2. Heat the milk, add it to the egg.
    3. Put into a heavy saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until the custard coats the back of the wooden spoon.

[My note: this WILL go wrong and become scrambled egg the first time you do it. Don't worry: experiment on yourself before making it for others. Keep the heat low and sir CONSTANTLY, and take it off the heat when you think it ought to have a few minutes more, as it will continue to thicken slightly while the residual heat from the saucepan lasts.]

///Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marny55

Thank you very much Peter

Really appreciate that

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Hi

Apologies to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know where I could purchase a copy of this book? "all in the cooking"

Have tried online til the cows come home and can't get it.

Hi

Apologies to resurrect an old thread but does anyone know where I could purchase a copy of this book? "all in the cooking"

Have tried online til the cows come home and can't get it.

As far as I understand it (and from all the comments on here) it simply is not available, not anywhere, not for any money. Anyone who has a copy is hanging onto it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

We have it at home as well. Make the Pancake Tuesday batter out of it every year!

If anyone is really stuck for a recipe from it PM me and I will post!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sonichic

Hi, I am looking for the old wedding cake recipies from this book. From what I remember there were three sizes. I would really appreciate it if some one could help me, many thanks

sonichic wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking for the old wedding cake recipies from this book. From what I remember there were three sizes. I would really appreciate it if some one could help me, many thanks
    There is nothing at all about wedding cakes in my 1975 edition, neither in the index or under Bread and Cakes. It's possible that a later (or earlier) edition mentioned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sonichic

Thank you for reply. It must be from an earlier edition but definitely from this book. I wonder was it called something else in the later edition. I'm actually looking for it for a Christmas cake. I know there was 36 oz mixed fruit in the cake but I have lost the recipe. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EllaCarl

I've been looking for this book for years to get just one recipe from it. We used it in school and everything we cooked from it was delicious.

May I ask, very kindly, for a copy of one recipe? Please? :)
    It's Swiss Apple Pudding. And it was SO delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

Here you go!

Swiss Apple Pudding

6 oz crumbs
    1.5 oz melted butter
    1 oz brown sugar
    Grated rind of 0.5 lemon
    2 or 3 apples
    1 oz sugar
    1 tbsp water
    Browned crumbs

1. Grease a 5-inch cake tin and line it with browned crumbs.

2. Put the breadcrumbs, butter and brown sugar into a bowl, add the lemon rind and mix all well together.

3. Stew the apples to a thick pulp with the sugar and water.

4. Put a layer of crumb mixture in the bottom of the tin, then add a layer of apples, keeping them about 0.5inch from edge of tin.

5. Continue in layers, finishing with a layer of breadcrumbs. Bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour.

6. Turn out on to a hot dish.

NOTE:
    (1) 1.5 oz of finely-chopped suet may be used instead of butter or margarine. In this case, 1 hour is required for baking.
    (2) This pudding may be made in a pie-dish if liked, then omit the lining with browned crumbs and do not turn out.

Ahhh, you're an angel!! :) I am SO delighted with this!! Thank you so much!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Ive seen that this book has been bought back into print recently and is available for a much more reasonable price.I cant remember where i saw the info but if u give me a few mins ill track it down!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ive seen that this book has been bought back into print recently and is available for a much more reasonable price.I cant remember where i saw the info but if u give me a few mins ill track it down!!

Are you sure you're not thinking of All About Home Economics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I also would like to try that swiss apple pudding recipe - but what exactly are 'browned crumbs'? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Thank you for reply. It must be from an earlier edition but definitely from this book. I wonder was it called something else in the later edition. I'm actually looking for it for a Christmas cake. I know there was 36 oz mixed fruit in the cake but I have lost the recipe. Thanks again.

I've access to an early edition of it and checked for wedding cake no sign of it. I know there was a book 1 and book 2 so maybe it was in the book 2. I'm not sure was the book 2 for leaving cert or what.
    I also would like to try that swiss apple pudding recipe - but what exactly are 'browned crumbs'? redface.png

Dried Browned Crumbs
    1. Puts crusts of bread on to a tin and leave in a cool oven until dry and crisp.
    2. Crush with a rolling pin.
    3. Put through a fine sieve and store in air tight tin.

The cool confused me a bit but from further looking through the book I found a chart cool = 300f or 150C

I think, but could be wrong, its just kinda like the dusting of flour to keep stuff from sticking to sides.

I did a Google search for "Christmas Cake All In The Cooking" and came up with the following:

http://graciesbakes.com/2011/10/29/noirins-christmas-cake/

Towards the bottom there are comments and one of them says this - "it's the exact same recipe i use! I got it from my mum's book ALL IN THE COOKING, tis ancient!"

Can't vouch for its authenticity, but there you go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

RubyK wrote: »
    Only recently I was given this book. It belonged to my late Gran Aunt. It's called All in the Cooking, Book 1 Colaiste Mhuire Book of Household Cookery.

I found a recipe for Coconut Buns below:-

I remember those buns - they were fab! I think I asked on boards about them before, but no one had the recipe, so this is great thanks a lot!

I wiah I had my old home ec teacher here tho ! I don't understand why it says to 'pile' them onto a baking tray. I have some in the oven now, and they're all over the place. Maybe I should have used a bun tin... And the ''mix to a stiff consistency'' bit left me a bit unsure - But I am sure they will taste niiiice :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I have the version pictured below, from when I started secondary in 1975. There must be thousands of these out there in attics.

picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=14402

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Faith wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not thinking of All About Home Economics?

feck it anyway i was :( i was all excited thinking id found out a great bit of news lol :o

I'd love two more recipes from All In The Cooking, if at all possible - Stuffed Tomatoes and White Soda Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

EllaCarl wrote: »
    I'd love two more recipes from All In The Cooking, if at all possible - Stuffed Tomatoes and White Soda Bread.

stuffedtomatoes_zpsc9d0e7da.jpg

sodabread_zps7178a033.jpg

enjoy ;)

Thank you so much for that.

Okay, one more question. Is there a recipe for cooked stuffed tomatoes? The one I remember cooking in school had breadcrumbs among the ingredients and they were heated in the oven.

I won first prize in our school Gas Cookery Competition when I was 12 with that Soda Bread. Sad to say, that has been just about the pinnacle of my cooking prowess!! :o

wedding2_zps37b25271.jpg

weddinga_zpsc03435e1.jpg

& the icing:

icing3_zps27c390db.jpg

icing2_zps2a45df22.jpg

icing1_zps7eb2cf3b.jpg

• Advertisement

EllaCarl wrote: »
    Thank you so much for that.

Okay, one more question. Is there a recipe for cooked stuffed tomatoes? The one I remember cooking in school had breadcrumbs among the ingredients and they were heated in the oven.

the one I put up is the only one I could see from the index, but I'll post any others I find :) I've the second edition books which would have been in use I think roughly 60ish years ago so the cooked ones may be in newer editions

Advertisement