Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you do when you have a cold?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Last cold I had which was 2 weeks ago I treated it like any cold I get a slice of lemon in hot water and that's it. And I always make sure my hands are always washed.

Climb Howth or Bray head as quickly as I can on foot. Sweat it out of me. Works 9 times out of 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

paracetamol at first sign of a sniffle, antihistamine to dry up the snots, medicated mouth wash for the sore throat, more paracetamol as required. Its very important to buy the soft tissues for your nose, the ones with aloe vera are great, the ones with menthol vapors are extra nice too. Bed rest and keep very warm, warm enough to raise temperature to fever level. I love fevers, firstly they are excellently trippy but also they serve a purpose by encouraging your body to fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Lemsip and my inhaler at the first sign of a cold. The majority of the time, I end up with a chest infection and on antibiotics if I let a cold develop, so I start on the Lemsip or panadol at the first sign.

Haven't had even a sniffle since I quit smoking 6 weeks ago, though, so maybe my days of chest infections are behind me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I bitch and whine and moan and complain and analyse every twinge and cough and sneeze, occasionally try to convince myself it's much more serious, pop a few pills, get bored of all the self-obsession, then get over it. Same as most people really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

pharmaton wrote: »
    paracetamol at first sign of a sniffle, antihistamine to dry up the snots, medicated mouth wash for the sore throat, more paracetamol as required. Its very important to buy the soft tissues for your nose, the ones with aloe vera are great, the ones with menthol vapors are extra nice too. Bed rest and keep very warm, warm enough to raise temperature to fever level. I love fevers, firstly they are excellently trippy but also they serve a purpose by encouraging your body to fight.

Your a CCE, Common Cold Expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

catallus wrote: »
    I went through two boxes of uniflu and it had no effect.

The boxes themselves don't have much an effect on colds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

catallus wrote: »
    I went through two boxes of uniflu and it had no effect.
    Don't believe everything you see on tv ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I've always believed in the adage that a cold is best fed, while a flu should be starved.

My partner is part Jewish, and knocks up a lovely hearty chicken soup. Mix that with a glass of Scotch, an early night, and a steam shower, and I'm usually on the way to recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Curse the person dumb enough to hack their lungs out while walking by me, without covering their mouth, on one of the busiest streets in the country.

Once you've got a cold, there is pretty much nothing that is scientifically shown to help - just stay hydrated and let it take its course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement