Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its amazing how much Euro Trash and THE Sun influences our view of Germans.

I've actually been to Germany twice and am speaking from experience here, if only Irish fraulines were as uninhibited. I also love their Autobahns for speeding on, Bratwurst for lunch and the way their Railway system works well. I'd most average Germans are pretty disgusted with Merkel so don't really hold the whole bailout against them. I have those gangsters in Fianna Fail to thank for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

its amazing how much Euro Trash and THE Sun influences our view of Germans.

precisely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

What's the worlds best contraceptive??

A german sense of humour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

mikemac1 wrote: »
    One of my teamleaders is German

Hates the Turks, absolutely hates them!

Bit of a guess but they are about 2000km apart I reckon,
    Hardly neighbours with a long history :confused:

Not sure why, we were a bit surprised

Are you serious ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cml387 wrote: »
    They know what Vorsprung Durch Technik means.

They have words like schadenfreude and zetgeist which have no english equivalent.
    And what about Nena and her red balloons?

It was actully 99 Air Balloons, but the English wouldn't have known what it was all about, hence red Balloons for the translated version, which made even less sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

charlemont wrote: »
    Are you serious ?

Well I've learned now but I didn't know when I posted

Never been to Germany and didn't know any connection between Germany and Turkey, two countries thousands of km away from each other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    nope…in 1990 east germany (the gdr) joined the federal republic of germany which was founded in 1949…not like a new state was founded in 1990…i reckon you were kidding anyway…

the sixteen federal states we know today was formed in 1990. The DDR was founded in 1949 and was an independent country. some mind argue that it was controlled by the russians, but the same could have been said about WEst GErmany and the allies. Two Germanys became one new Germany, a germany the like and size that had not existed before

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well I've learned now but I didn't know when I posted

Never been to Germany and didn't know any connection between Germany and Turkey, two countries thousands of km away from each other

so wat did you learn? german-turkish history is a long and complex one…goes back centuries, from the turkish wars (and before) and the alliance in ww1 all the way to turkish immigrant workers in germany post ww2…and the consequent turkish minority in germany today…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Germany has it's good sides and bad sides...so has Ireland, so has every country on Earth, imo.

What I can't understand, are two points:

1. Why is Germany still rated for the crap, Hitler and his henchmen did to the world? Germany paid the price for that, nobody denies any wrongdoing (apart from some Neo Nazis sc**), the nation moved forward and learned from the past.

2. Why do so many people still moan about the old government? I'm here since 2004, I know quite well, that FF was not able to stop the county from going into recession, no doubt about that. But quite honestly, the situation did not get any better, since the Blueshirts took over. They should get the same bashing, as they brainwashed the electorate with their hypocrisy and all their unrealistic pre-election promises

• Advertisement

the sixteen federal states we know today was formed in 1990. The DDR was founded in 1949 and was an independent country. some mind argue that it was controlled by the russians, but the same could have been said about WEst GErmany and the allies. Two Germanys became one new Germany, a germany the like and size that had not existed before

not exactly. after reunification five new federal states were founded along historical boundaries…the other 11 had existed since 1949/early 50s (in some cases since long before)…germany was not founded as a new state in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the Turks are like the travelling community. some decent but some less so. the Turks who go to Germany are not exactly the cream of the crop and many can barely read and write Turkish, let alone German. honour killings are not popular in germany.

Funny that, I have a German Turk friend and he has a very good job as a banker in Cologne, As he said himself his father worked hard in the German mines so he and his siblings could have a better life, Same guy is also a body builder so he tends not to get any racist abuse. He can speak 4 languages and has no interest in treating women as second class citizens. One of the most genuine people I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Germany has it's good sides and bad sides...so has Ireland, so has every country on Earth, imo.

1. Why is Germany still rated for the crap, Hitler and his henchmen did to the world? Germany paid the price for that, nobody denies any wrongdoing (apart from some Neo Nazis sc**), the nation moved forward and learned from the past.

2. Why do so many people still moan about the old government? I'm here since 2004, I know quite well, that FF was not able to stop the county from going into recession, no doubt about that. But quite honestly, the situation did not get any better, since the Blueshirts took over. They should get the same bashing, as they brainwashed the electorate with their hypocrisy and all their unrealistic pre-election promises

Yeah but Fianna Fail were the captain drunk at the wheel of the Titanic, they steered the country right into Iceberg all the time ordering more speed.

The economy was going downhill and no government could prevent that, however Fianna Fail drove the country into the ground on purpose to protect their own scum cronies. A softer landing could have been achieved if the Government of the day did nothing and not interfered, just let the banks crash and burn and the Fianna Fail developers burn with them. Proper regulation like in Canada could have prevented the whole thing and we'd all be better of today. Fianna Fail are scum traitors who wrecked the country and whilst it is fair comment to say FG are no better they got a poisoned chalice and have no room to manoeuvre such is the scale of the mess the FF gangsters left behind.

Let me mention something about the Turkish community in Germany.

Most of them are very well integrated into society indeed, as they live in Germany for a good while. The majority of them came to the country, when many German men were serving as POWs all over Europe after the 2nd World War, and they worked hard enough to earn some money for their families, who still had to join them.

And there is a difference between Turkish people, who are more modern in their way of thinking, and those, who are still attached to conservative Muslim values. Of course, they would have more problems to cope with a Western and or Christian society, which might be the same in Ireland and in Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

They tend to be quite good at their jobs and take it seriously, but as soon as they're finished work they become very active. They'll be doing activities right through the week after work. Not just lounging around the house watching TV.

Ja ja, ordnung mus sein... I dont like to generalize, but I lived there for about year and I prefere irish people 100 times.
    It is scary how perfect some germans want to be, perfect life style, perfect diet, perfect friends etc etc, snobs -too many of them over there.
    -to compere, irish people to me -friendly, open, easy going -some times - not-that-perfect-but who cares.

My last experience with germans - going to the trip to Aran Islands from Galway with my 2 little children, my mum and her friend and my brother -3 adulst and 2 kids.
    Group of german tourists (average age- 40-50) and about 20 of them standing on the bus stop , we came and we were waiting at the side of the bus stop and when the bus came it stopped with doors just in front of my family and me - so we got in.. and then guide or somebody like that (german too) jumped in front of me and shouting to the bus driver they were there first!! He made a really big problem over it and to my surprise driver said they could go first.
    Ridiculous! They kicked me out of the bus with buggy and we were forced to wait until 20 or more of them will get on bus.
    Not too mention my older litlle one was crying, because there were no sits upstairs left....
    Horrible people (those from the trip of course :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

all the German women i have slept with (which was 1) had big long peperami nipples.

Ja ja, ordnung mus sein... I dont like to generalize, but I lived there for about year and I prefere irish people 100 times.
    It is scary how perfect some germans want to be, perfect life style, perfect diet, perfect friends etc etc, snobs -too many of them over there.
    -to compere, irish people to me -friendly, open, easy going -some times - not-that-perfect-but who cares.

My last experience with germans - going to the trip to Aran Islands from Galway with my 2 little children, my mum and her friend and my brother -3 adulst and 2 kids.
    Group of german tourists (average age- 40-50) and about 20 of them standing on the bus stop , we came and we were waiting at the side of the bus stop and when the bus came it stopped with doors just in front of my family and me - so we got in.. and then guide or somebody like that (german too) jumped in front of me and shouting to the bus driver they were there first!! He made a really big problem over it and to my surprise driver said they could go first.
    Ridiculous! They kicked me out of the bus with buggy and we were forced to wait until 20 or more of them will get on bus.
    Not too mention my older litlle one was crying, because there were no sits upstairs left....
    Horrible people (those from the trip of course :rolleyes:)

Stereotypes, which are not helpful at all, at least there is not that much negativity about the Irish in Germany ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

1. Nobody sane seriously means it

2. Ye have little patience. Also every political party makes promises they can't possibly keep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

Stereotypes, which are not helpful at all, at least there is not that much negativity about the Irish in Germany ;)

You better tell me how much negativity there is about polish! :pac: (I am polish)
    and don't get me wrong -I know there are different people everywhere, my cousin is married to lovely german man, I only meant -there was really many people like that when I was there..

charlemont wrote: »
    Funny that, I have a German Turk friend and he has a very good job as a banker in Cologne, As he said himself his father worked hard in the German mines so he and his siblings could have a better life, Same guy is also a body builder so he tends not to get any racist abuse. He can speak 4 languages and has no interest in treating women as second class citizens. One of the most genuine people I know.

definitely. that is why I said 'some'. there is a difference between your average Turk in Turkey and what they export just like the type of Irish person in London had the reputation for being drunk and aggressive.

Turkey has little time for radical and conservative Turks so they go to Germany.

turks are often seen as doormen at discos and are looked upon as being aggressive.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yeah but Fianna Fail were the captain drunk at the wheel of the Titanic, they steered the country right into Iceberg all the time ordering more speed.

The economy was going downhill and no government could prevent that, however Fianna Fail drove the country into the ground on purpose to protect their own scum cronies. A softer landing could have been achieved if the Government of the day did nothing and not interfered, just let the banks crash and burn and the Fianna Fail developers burn with them. Proper regulation like in Canada could have prevented the whole thing and we'd all be better of today. Fianna Fail are scum traitors who wrecked the country and whilst it is fair comment to say FG are no better they got a poisoned chalice and have no room to manoeuvre such is the scale of the mess the FF gangsters left behind.

1. I never denied, that it was FF, who were the ones, being blind and/or naive, when the county steered right toward the recession.

2. Both FF and FG are traitors, imo. FF, because of obvious reasons. FG, because they came around with one promise after the next, feeding on the desperation of the nation, knowing quite well how easy it would be to win the election, because the main aim was to get rid of FF.
    And did they keep any of their promises? 15 point plan for job creation (never mind the number)? Just think about the answer in a quiet moment...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I love German food - bratworst, sauerkraut, frankfurters, Knudl, giant prezels, apple strudel and the like. Yes, it's pretty simple but is delicious. Their beers are just superb.:D

I also love the way public transport in Germany runs exactly on time. The Germans are mostly uninhibited about nudity so there plenty of opportunities for nude swimming and sunbathing in Deutschland galore.:)

When I think of Germany I think of huge forests, modern TV towers in the cities and of course the Autobahns.:pac:

The tastiest McDonald's burgers I've ever had are those in Germany.

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    so wat did you learn? german-turkish history is a long and complex one…goes back centuries, from the turkish wars (and before) and the alliance in ww1 all the way to turkish immigrant workers in germany post ww2…and the consequent turkish minority in germany today…

they are hardly a minority.

a problem is that the Germans see them as Turks and the Turks see them as Germans. Being born in Germany and having a German passport seemingly does not make you German.

dsmythy wrote: »
    1. Nobody sane seriously means it

2. Ye have little patience. Also every political party makes promises they can't possibly keep.

My in-laws do, believe me. But I don't think, they are sane anyway ;)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I love German food - bratworst, sauerkraut, frankfurters, Knudl, giant prezels, apple strudel and the like. Their beers are just superb.:D

d.

you forgot Blackforest gateau, the most exotic cake to come to our shores in the eighties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

re Turks, the Germans have this things about blood lines and nationality don't they?

You better tell me how much negativity there is about polish! :pac: (I am polish)
    and don't get me wrong -I know there are different people everywhere, my cousin is married to lovely german man, I only meant -there was really many people like that when I was there..

I am well aware of that, I have a few Polish friends in Dublin ;)

Just wondering, if you know, where those people came from. Some parts of Germany are a bit...let's think about the right word...fussy, others are more easy going. I am from Dortmund, and I would rate my home town into the second category :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mike65 wrote: »
    re Turks, the Germans have this things about blood lines and nationality don't they?

Until 2000, then they changed the law.

mike65 wrote: »

Are we in 1933 or 2012? :eek:

• Advertisement

poles are disliked along the border. I believe an advertising slogan used to be -

'come to Poland, your car is already there'.

do all poles steal cars? hardly, but there is no smoke without fire.
    its gas, the french hate the Germans the Germans hate the poles the Poles hate the Russians. perhaps a thread on how Poles themselves hate other nationalities would be apt?

Advertisement