Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kodi Android TV Streaming Box [Livingsocial + wetek group]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thargor wrote: »
    Actually is there such a thing as an Android box that could do Saorview and Freesat if you gave it a dish and aeriel?

Thangor, you could have a look at the Amiko A3 combo. Thats got FTA/TERR & Android. This is sure to be a very popular combo. Think its out there now for €150-160. Looks like a nice bit of kit and a genuine 'one box' solution. Only a matter of time before multiple sat tuners are available with integrated Terr & Android. It's a massive opportunity for manufacturers nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭batistuta9

dodzy wrote: »
    Well you won't get 2 out of your 3. No Freesat combo unfortunately, just FTA.

you could add a usb tuner for terrestrial on that wetek

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭oodles19

Hi lads, just jumping on this thread for a bit of advice, I need to get my sister something for streaming TV (more than likely kodi), she's abroad and I'd given her my old android box which has now given up the ghost. Budget of between €100-€150, I'd be comfortable enough setting it up myself if required, I think 2gb Ram 16gb ROM and lollipop would be best for longevity, and recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

For €150 I'd probably get a tablet with HDMI out so you can have added functionality without needing a telly all the time.
    €150 is way too much for an android streaming box.

Hudl 2 would be my recommendation if you can get your hands on it - http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

It seems that you can't buy one of these anymore.

d31b0y wrote: »
    For €150 I'd probably get a tablet with HDMI out so you can have added functionality without needing a telly all the time.
    €150 is way too much for an android streaming box.

Hudl 2 would be my recommendation if you can get your hands on it - http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

It's not just an android streaming box. It's much more than that. And a HUDL2 ? Well, you're not exactly comparing apples with apples now are you ?

The majority of folks want a solution that is permanently integrated to their TV and with a USB keyboard, it's a world away from a tablet connected via HDMi.
    oodles19 wrote: »
    Hi lads, just jumping on this thread for a bit of advice, I need to get my sister something for streaming TV (more than likely kodi), she's abroad and I'd given her my old android box which has now given up the ghost. Budget of between €100-€150, I'd be comfortable enough setting it up myself if required, I think 2gb Ram 16gb ROM and lollipop would be best for longevity, and recommendations?
    2GB/16GB is overkill for what you want. Just get a 2GB/8GB MXIII from aliexpress. Add a wireless keyboard and you'll get out for half of your budget.

• Advertisement

My main point was €150 is way to much to spend on one of these. If I was intent on spending €150, I'd prefer the extra functionality.
    The two are hardly a million miles away from being the same now are they?The only real difference is a tablet has a screen. Maybe I compared green apples with red apples.

Also, what is it, if not an android streaming box (even the title says "Kodi Android TV Streaming Box")? It's an android box that will be used primarily for streaming.

My main point was €150 is way to much to spend on one of these. If I was intent on spending €150, I'd prefer the extra functionality.
    The two are hardly a million miles away from being the same now are they?The only real difference is a tablet has a screen. Maybe I compared green apples with red apples.

Also, what is it, if not an android streaming box (even the title says "Kodi Android TV Streaming Box")? It's an android box that will be used primarily for streaming.
    Ah FFS, will you give over. The OP links to a box that at time of posting was €50. It was pointed out earlier in the thread that these are readily available for €30 (€40 if you're nabbed for duty ), albeit with a 4week wait for delivery. Then the thread digressed and people were asking for a trur FTA / Saorview / Android one box solution - totally different product to the OP link; hence the €150 recommendation for the Amiko. And then along comes the HUDL. Nowhere near the same product as the green apple. Anyway, I'll leave it there.

Where's the anger coming from? I was only ever comparing the original device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ethernet and usb would be two big advantages of a streaming box. Probably more processing power and better heat dissipation. It has a lot of advantages over a tablet for me anyway.

Fair point beauf. Ethernet is definitely a big bonus and, admittedly, not something that came to my mind when I suggested a tablet. I'd be doubtful of it having more processing power but even if it did, that's not so big a problem. As long as the device is able to play 1080p content then you are laughing.

Personally, I would go for a device that doesn't move around. I have a Pi2 myself. I just wanted to give oodles something else to think about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057446012

This thread is long, but informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone else with an issue getting the cod through at checkout?
    Saying invalid or used

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Green&Red wrote: »
    Saying invalid or used

Sounds fishy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭Invincible

Green&Red wrote: »
    Saying invalid or used

Code for where?
    If its for Geekbuying, look on freaktab.com for code.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Living social code for Mooch

I rang them Friday and they said give it 24 hours and it would be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... I'd be doubtful of it having more processing power but even if it did, that's not so big a problem. As long as the device is able to play 1080p content then you are laughing....

For me, its more about the speed of the GUI and accessing content. Also the heavy lifting on a Media Portal, and pulling meta data, things like that. COntent, Playback usually is all done the GPU. The CPU wouldn't be doing that. Even on a PC/laptop you'll find somethings faster or slower depending on the specific hardware, USB controller, Ethernet controller, GPU and CPU.

Yes you can do it on a tablet. It maybe similar to many streaming boxes. But not all streaming boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these android boxes.

I can't see the one that was in the original living social offer but this one was posted from aliexpress which I'm guessing is probably similar?

A guy at work just bought this one from amazon.co.uk at twice the price.

The cheaper one from aliexpress seems to have higher specs?
    OCTA Core MALI 450 GPU versus QuadCore Mali400 High Performance 3D GPU (assuming 450 > 400 ?)
    Amlogic S805 Quad-Core versus Amlogic A9 Dual Core Neon HD CPU (assuming quad > dual)

As far as android boxes at the lower price range (not looking for AFTV or FreeView etc...), is the aliexpress one a good option or is there better spec at this price?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

I have the Aliexpress one you have linked - for the price, it is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The Q7 RK3188 is good value. Mate bought one recently and finds it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

What kind of remote do you get for that price? is it air or IR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

maximoose wrote: »
    I have the Aliexpress one you have linked - for the price, it is brilliant.

Which plug did you get? There are 4 on the page, they hardly send 4?
    How long was delivery?
    Am also curious about the remote?
    Any need for keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

TheTubes wrote: »
    I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these android boxes.

I can't see the one that was in the original living social offer but this one was posted from aliexpress which I'm guessing is probably similar?

That's not one of the original version of that box, you may have problems.
    On the other hand, it's not a direct clone, and they have put their name to it.
    I'd still go for the original version, as a point of reference if/when looking for support if nothing else.
    That may be a copy of the other MXQ (Which is still good).
    Or it may have a different motherboard, which could cause you to brick it if you try to install one of the other ROMS.

You may also find them at better prices, i was just linking to show you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

TheTubes wrote: »
    Which plug did you get? There are 4 on the page, they hardly send 4?
    How long was delivery?
    Am also curious about the remote?
    Any need for keyboard?

UK Plug

10 days delivered using Parcel Motel NI, no customs

Remote is the one pictured - IR I think, no issues with it

Keyboard is a luxury as the remote works fine but I'm glad I have one. I got that bargain Logitech one, makes any searching/typing much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Allyall wrote: »
    Well worth watching this - http://openelec.tv/ for €53.99

If not least, for their forums and improvements.
    They were slow to start, but prove how important/valuable support is.

Only 53.99 if you buy 12 or more!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Was going to get one, but the sale is a complete joke. Wouldn't be dealing with such a ****ty company .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

10% off isn't so bad for 1 device, but it was set up to be a GREAT bargain :)
    Should have realised when it said "from" 53.99 haha.

Who's the shítty company? Wetek?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Ah 10% is an awful black Friday sale.
    They had it set up so it looked like it was 53.99 per device earlier in the week.

I had spotted that it needed to be 12 earlier. Was not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I'm looking at the ali express box. Hmm will I or won't I , I have an old mini minix here which to be honest is not great on WiFi, I'm wondering if this might do the job better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

which one ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement