Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great Western Greenway (Newport to Mulranny)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

westtip wrote: »
    I reckon we might see this along the whole of the Western Rail corridor from Collooney to Athenry, the FG manifesto is hardly a ringing endorsement of the supposed phase 2 and 3 of the Western Rail corridor (phase 1 was ennis Athenry) phase 2 is supposed to be Athenry Tuam then phase 3 Tuam Claremorris but the FG manifesto says:

From the back pages (page 79) of the FG manifesto:

Hardly a ringing endorsement for trains to Tuam and Claremorris and as for Claremorris to Collooney, well that truly is a piped dream. it sounds to me like FG are trying to get off the hook with the help of independent experts, don't blame them can't see the rest of the country putting up with money being spent on a pretty pointless rail line from Athenry to Claremorris.

do you have a link to the FG manifesto, i would like to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

irishgeo wrote: »
    do you have a link to the FG manifesto, i would like to read it.

http://www.finegael2011.com/pdf/Fine%20Gael%20Manifesto%20low-res.pdf

To see the bit I refered to just type in 79 on the page search. the good news is the FG manifesto does commit to continue the work done on the National Cycle Network policy. thats on page 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Myself and the OH were in Westport last weekend. Took a spin(car) out to Achill on Sunday....

'Why are all those people walking in the fields and ditches ?'

The bits of it we saw from the road looks great, it's a great idea - well done.

We'll be back to check it out properly

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Yes the new Westport - Newport section is coming on well. Has Achill section started?.

Looks a bit messy at the moment with all the digging but should be in shape for Summer. Seems to be a lot of road crossings which break the flow, but I believe they plan to improve some of those sections when the N59 realignment removes some of the worst bends, due to start later this year.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Has Achill section started?.
    Yup, looks like it's about half-way there.
    Seems to be a lot of road crossings which break the flow...
    Between Westport and Newport? I'm only aware of one place where it crosses the N59. There are a few places where it crosses minor roads, if that's what you mean, but they're pretty much unavoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Mayo coco have really got their act together on this greenway project - I just hope the same happens for the sligomayogreenway to link in with this project, it would make a huge difference to West of Ireland cycling tourism.

Worth picking up the Sligo champion especially if you are in any of the Mayo towns along or near the route: Claremorris, Kilimagh, Swinford, Foxford, Charlestown.

See pages 34/35 of this weeks sligo champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Any chance you could summarise? Link?

You've wetted my appetite on this one.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

finisklin wrote: »
    Any chance you could summarise? Link?

You've wetted my appetite on this one.....

So Sligo are going to copy us... tut tut. Down with that sort of thing!

Be nice if we could spin from Westport to Sligo :)

I did the Mizen to Malin last year on the bike and the roads around Sligo were hair raising in parts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Have done the Newport to Mulranney greenway at least a dozen times now and looking forward to the extensions either side. There is no doubt that the Athenry to Collooney stretch of the Western Rail Corridor could be transformed into a similar cycle track because nothing will happen there for years to come. There is no money and no willingness.

yop wrote: »
    So Sligo are going to copy us... tut tut. Down with that sort of thing!

Be nice if we could spin from Westport to Sligo :)

I did the Mizen to Malin last year on the bike and the roads around Sligo were hair raising in parts :)

Just as Mayo copied every other part of northern Europe! Its a seriously good initiative, if the greenway can run from Collooney to Claremorris, and a link can be established to the GWG it begins to open up the whole Slig/Mayo week long cycling holiday off road option. The National Cycle Network draft plan document on teh DOT website published last August is worth taking a look at. There is a whole network of disused rail lines in Donegal and Leitrim crying out for this treatment - Big opportunities for cycling tourism all at very low relative cost.

dec25532 wrote: »
    Have done the Newport to Mulranney greenway at least a dozen times now and looking forward to the extensions either side. There is no doubt that the Athenry to Collooney stretch of the Western Rail Corridor could be transformed into a similar cycle track because nothing will happen there for years to come. There is no money and no willingness.

And no need for a train service from Athenry to Claremorris and then on to collooney (relative to other needs on the rail network), but that debate has been hammered out for years already in transport and commuting on the WRC thread.

Was on the GWG yesterday, hundreds of cyclists on it - must be bringing thousands into Newport and Mulranny in money just spent by day trippers alone.:D

westtip wrote: »
    Was on the GWG yesterday, hundreds of cyclists on it - must be bringing thousands into Newport and Mulranny in money just spent by day trippers alone.:D

the bike rental shops are popping up all over the place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is there a good few of them now?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yup. I think you can hire in several places in Westport, Newport and Mulranny already, and I guess it's only a matter of time (if not already) that you'll be able to do so in Achill Sound.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yup. I think you can hire in several places in Westport, Newport and Mulranny already, and I guess it's only a matter of time (if not already) that you'll be able to do so in Achill Sound.

a bike hire shop is supposed to open opposite the Achill Sound Hotel in a small shop which was the butchers. that has now moved across the road.

its not open yet but the greenway is not finished yet anyway.

Any progress on the Tonregee section near Achill? I believe some farmers have blocked development?. Also does anyone know where it begins in Westport, I know the towns Greenway ends at the arch bridge opposite the Allergan turnoff, will it be linked with the Western Greenway?

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Any progress on the Tonregee section near Achill? I believe some farmers have blocked development?. Also does anyone know where it begins in Westport, I know the towns Greenway ends at the arch bridge opposite the Allergan turnoff, will it be linked with the Western Greenway?

i havent heard anything about blocked development in tonregee and i was talking to a lad who lives near the greenway in tonregee. its not finished yet around a few houses thats all.

i did hear of a disagreement on the westport one near kilmena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

From what I hear the farmers involved had no real choice as the Greenway would run directly in front of their front doors. The shame about it though is that the 700m stretch of road you have to travel on is not the best and certainly not great for kids. Hopefully the council can get a cycle lane/flashing lights/etc in place before an accident happens.

Also heard that there were 2 farmers unwilling to co-operate on the Westport-Newport stretch although one relented as he couldn't stand the other farmer! Not sure how true it is though.

I wish I had an ice-cream van, I'd say you would clean up if you set up somewhere along the Newport-Mulranny stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

We were on it for the first time on yesterday and today. What an absolutely fantastic facility (wish there was one near my house)! Fair play to MCC and the landowners. Cycled some of the section just outside Newport and some of the section near Westport. Really super for cycling with kids, so safe, ours loved it. Will be back many times in the future.

It is isn't it. Feel proud that we have this facility in our County.

As with the railway walk and the cycle park in Westport. Waiting there this evening to go out with cycle club and it was great to see the guts of 50 kids either skating or playing the astro pitch. A wonderful facility.
    It would be a super facility to roll out to other towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I gotta aggree. I was on that cycle too, can't work out which one you are.:pac: Recently introduced myself to CKwpt so I guess he knows us both.

snailsong wrote: »
    I gotta aggree. I was on that cycle too, can't work out which one you are.:pac: Recently introduced myself to CKwpt so I guess he knows us both.

Were you out tonite? :D Were you in the first group at the end or the next group.

Don't know CKWestport myself no. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

was dropped at Old Head with 4 others, finished just 8.00 pm not far back I think. Might send you a pm when I get back from work.

snailsong wrote: »
    was dropped at Old Head with 4 others, finished just 8.00 pm not far back I think. Might send you a pm when I get back from work.

It picked up alright at that stage, was 2nd coming up the hill myself, wrong gear change and I ended up 4th and was fit to keel over.

Everyweek you will get stronger so keep at it. :D

The skate park and multi use games area they opened on the Westport greenway last week is also really well designed and rammed with kids every day.

The paths, signage, seating, car-park and planting around it are neat and blends in nicely, fair play to Westport council, they don't do things by halves. Only a year since it was proposed. If only the all of our town councils could show as much initiative and attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Also heard that there were 2 farmers unwilling to co-operate on the Westport-Newport stretch
    although one relented as he couldn't stand the other farmer! Not sure how true it is though.
    I was told the same thing last week.
    [/QUOTE]
    I wish I had an ice-cream van, I'd say you would clean up if you set up somewhere along the
    Newport-Mulranny stretch.[/QUOTE]

I have thought the same thing many times :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I cycled this yesterday and had no issues finding a few bikes to rent, they were all around Newport.

The route started outside Newport town on the N59. It wasnt well signposted through the town. I did a bit of scouting first in the car before I took out the bike to rent to see where it started.

The surface was very good throughout and some of the scenery was breathtaking. There is a few benches on the route for picnics too. Some toilet facilities would be welcome though.

More of these greenways should be built throughout the country. We have many rail lines that are never going to be used again which would bring tourists in of we made them greenways.

Advertisement