Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The M50 Barrier Free Tolling Thread

• 04-08-2008 11:22pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

OK, I'm setting this thread up to deal with the forecasted threads on the barrier free tolling system on the M50.
    All new queries on the M50 barrier free system are to go into this thread.

If your query is on M50 speed cameras, M50 upgrade works or anything else that is not related to the barrier free tolling system then maybe don't post in this thread! ;)

Background Information
    Description of electronic barrier-free tolling
    Steel gantries will be erected over the motorway, spanning over the four lanes of each carriageway. There will be no toll plaza or any physical barrier on the road. Cars can travel at normal motorway speeds under the overhead gantries. These gantries will contain all of the vehicle detection and camera equipment required to record the vehicles passing under the gantries. A computer based system linked to the National Vehicle and Driver File then provides the owner details for any vehicles who don't have electronic tags or who haven't a pre-registered payment account.
    Location of Toll
    The new toll scheme proposes one single tolling point which will be located on the section of the M50 between the N3 (Navan Road) and N4 (Galway Road) Junctions, adjacent to the current WestLink plaza. When it becomes operational, it will replace the existing WestLink toll plaza, which will be removed.

Car Tolls
    The car tolls, in line with (CPI), under the new scheme for electronic barrier-free tolling are:
    Cars with an electronic tag account €2.00 per journey
    Cars with a number plate account, but without tag €2.50 per journey
    Cars without either a tag or number plate account €3.00 per journey
    Key Points of Proposed Toll Scheme
    • People who don't currently have electronic tags can register with any of the five existing operators - details on NRA website http://www.nra.ie/News/eToll/ In addition, the NRA will itself offer a tag service from early next year;
    • People who don't wish to have an electronic vehicle tag but who wish to set up a payment account based on the recording of their number plates can, from early next year, register with the NRA's M50 Operator. Whenever they make a journey on the M50, their number plate details will be recorded and the relevant payment debited from their account.
    • For people who choose not to have electronic tag accounts or number plate based accounts, the registration number of the vehicle will be recorded when they make a journey along the tolled section of the M50. They can make payment in advance of the journey, on the day of the journey or up to 8.00pm on the day after the journey by any of the following means:
    o On-line over the internet;
    o Through the 24 hour telephone contact centre being set up by the NRA;
    o Through a bill pay system in approx. 2,000 shops and garages.

|Vehicle equipped with an Electronic Tag |Vehicle Pre-registered for Number Plate based Payment Account|All Other Vehicles
    Cars | €2.00 | €2.50 |€3.00
    Buses and small commercial vehicles up to 2 tonnes| €2.80| €3.30| €3.80
    Commercial vehicles between 2 and 10 tonnes | €4.10| €4.60|€5.10
    Commercial Vehicles above 10 tonnes| €5.10| €5.60|€6.10source...

Tag Service Providers Using the eToll Interoperability System
    A list of companies that provide electronic solutions for the M50 are listed on http://www.nra.ie/News/eToll/#d.en.9155

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Good sticky. Passed through there earlier on and still no sign of the impending change over. They're having a laugh if this will be done over night

• Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

D-day is August 30th, 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I probably won't be using the M50 tollbridge any time soon. But I reckon, just to be on the safe side, I'll pre-pay one trip for both vehicles I own as soon as this system goes active ...and then I'll sue them all the way to the high court if they don't recognise my pre-payment five or six years down the line (or change the credit to the new car I may have bought in the meantime) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I would presume that the only way to operate this if you're switching cars a lot is to pay €3.00 per use - does anyone know if the reg will be checked against the tag or could you use your tag in any vehicle?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The tag has to match the reg, otherwise they won't know which vehicle it was in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I've registered with eFlow, who are the NRA I think. Free tag, pay after use account, so none of those stupid top-up thingies.

Account costs €1 per month to maintain, not too bad.

Signed up over the phone, nice guy, made it very simple, tags to be issued mid-Aug. You need to give them your Bank Acc number, which spooked me a little, but everything seems fine at present.

You can use laser too, IIRC. I would have preferred (in retrospect) to have signed up online, just because bank details are needed, feels safer for some reason!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Account costs €1 per month to maintain, not too bad.
    What maintenance do they do on the accounts each month? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kbannon wrote: »
    Exactly .. money for old rope. They also have the cheek to hold on to the balance that has to be held in the account and earn interest on that too. Maybe they'd like to bill me every month with a detailed breakdown of exactly what "maintenance" they've performed on my account, so that I can decide whether it was worthwhile paying at all :pac:

kbannon wrote: »

This is the reason I have not got any tag yet myself. It is a lot cheaper to maintain the account than to man the booths with staff 24/7. I would have got a tag (even pre-paid) years ago if there was no maintenance charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Why hasn't the introduction of this system reduced the prices for the toll?

Is there a limit to what they can increase it to before somebody actually says OI YOU NNNNOOOOO!

We get screwed so often in this counrty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's decreased the toll cost for vans from €3.40 to €2.80, which is fine for non Vat Registered folk, but for those who could claim the VAT back on the €3.40, it's still the same. So Kbannon, maybe note that the above prices are at a Vat rate of 0%?

Gone are the days of playing "how low can you go" by handing in a bunch of change that adds up to nowhere near the proper amount and asking is that ok :P

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Are these lads actually having a laugh...

I just called to register with my Visa and they said that they don't accept credit cards because they get charged for processing them.

So now it has to be a direct debit... grr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

unkel wrote: »
    This is the reason I have not got any tag yet myself. It is a lot cheaper to maintain the account than to man the booths with staff 24/7. I would have got a tag (even pre-paid) years ago if there was no maintenance charge...

tolltag.ie are offering tags with no monthly maintenance fee - instead they charge you an extra 10% of each toll charge you clock up (so for the M50 you'd pay 2.20 rather than 2.00) and they charge 30 quid for the tag (for their basic service). Could be a good option for infrequent toll users like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

sicruise wrote: »
    Are these lads actually having a laugh...

I just called to register with my Visa and they said that they don't accept credit cards because they get charged for processing them.

What about Laser card? There is no fee for that as far as i know.

Either way, i refuse to use the toll bridge unless its absolutely necessary so i have only used it about 3 or 4 times this year, even though i can claim it back in expenses!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just been on to eflow to register a tag and to be honest this lot are a joke.

Ive just been told that each tag must be registered to a unique vehicle and since I dont know what Im going to be driving from one day to the next its next to useless for me.

I thought each tag was registered to a person or "account" and not a vehicle so therefore could be interchanged between cars.Apparently it cant be interchanged at all and can only be used in the vehicle that it was registered to.

It means that if I did register a tag I cant even use it in my wifes car on weekends.

An absolute joke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That's terrible alright. Maybe one of the other operators allow it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of them *can* allow it.

There is no way the system can tell which car a tag is in without the tag being matched to a registration number. Using an unmatched tag will cause a charge on the tag and to the cars registration plate. Less than ideal but there is no way around this.

The tag also physically attaches to your vehicle, by the way. If you don't attach it, it rarely works at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I know it's been mentioned before but has it been finalised how they are going to cope with foreign vehicles? or are we just going to end up subsidising their free travel.

They're going to sell the fine "debt" to debt collection agencies to chase up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

sicruise wrote: »

I use eazypass (http://www.eazypass.ie/) and they take debit my credit card every month. You could look into them if direct debit doesn't suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

i might only use the toll once or twice this year and maybe not again for another year or more, can you purchase a once off ticket for each trip or are you still charged a monthly rate to stay registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do the new tags from other operators work on the current Eazy-Pass lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

zing wrote: »
    tolltag.ie are offering tags with no monthly maintenance fee - instead they charge you an extra 10% of each toll charge you clock up (so for the M50 you'd pay 2.20 rather than 2.00) and they charge 30 quid for the tag (for their basic service). Could be a good option for infrequent toll users like me.

This one might suit me better as I don't use the toll all that often. But €30 for the tag seems a bit much. Are they all around this price to purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

SteveC wrote: »
    are we just going to end up subsidising their free travel.

yes the the simple answer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Newstalk are doing an article on it someday this week or so I was told.Theres uproar in the motor industry,hire car industry and haulage companies regarding this but so far the NRA havent been called to task over it.Theyre tallking it up like its the best thing ever which it isnt.
    MYOB wrote: »

There is no way the system can tell which car a tag is in without the tag being matched to a registration number. Using an unmatched tag will cause a charge on the tag and to the cars registration plate. Less than ideal but there is no way around this.

The tag also physically attaches to your vehicle, by the way. If you don't attach it, it rarely works at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Saibh wrote: »
    i might only use the toll once or twice this year and maybe not again for another year or more, can you purchase a once off ticket for each trip or are you still charged a monthly rate to stay registered.

Here is Independent advice for people, like myself, that use it 5 or 6 times a year. Disgracefully it means I will pay €2.50 every time I go through, but it's cheaper than any of the tag options.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/m50-toll-tag-prices-compared.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MYOB wrote: »

That makes no sense at all. If the system is always going to read the registration plate anyway, then what on earth is the point of the tag? Why not just charge the registered owner of the reg plate and not bother with tags at all? And what the hell does it matter what car the tag is in .. they get their money regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

WindSock wrote: »
    This one might suit me better as I don't use the toll all that often. But €30 for the tag seems a bit much. Are they all around this price to purchase?

They've also an option of free tag, 10% surcharge on tolls but with min balances, min top up balances etc.. (most of the others have minimum balances/top ups so that's nothing new). That way it's EUR 40 per car/tag initially but if you're an infrequent user then you won't need to worry about topping up for some time.

However the 10% surcharge mightn't be too bad now but you've got to think about potential toll charge increases and more toll roads being introduced around the country. e.g. I use the N4/M4/N6/M6 far more often than I'd use the M50 toll and with a proposed toll due on the new N6 from Ballinasloe to Galway (whenever it opens) you'd probably be looking at 40 - 50c on top of the tolls on that route. At that stage a return trip to Galway would almost equal the costs of the 1 EUR monthly fees most of the others charge. Of course you could just make sure you've the necessary change on those other routes but I can imagine that once you get a tag you'll stop worrying about having the correct change in the car.

For the very infrequent M50 user the vehicle reg system seems to be the way to go. For the very frequent M50 user a tag is defo the way to go. For those in the middle tag seems to be the way to go but it's down to which operators admin fees suits you best.

Also note that Easypass & PassDirect both appear to be the only ones that allow you to have 1 or 2 tags per account (i.e. per EUR 1 monthly fee) - that's particularly handy for families with 2 cars in/around Dublin. From what I can see the rest charge you per tag.

Alun wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all. If the system is always going to read the registration plate anyway, then what on earth is the point of the tag?

My guess is you need the tag because it will work on all other toll roads in the country* (that have no license plate recognition system in place - yet)

*possibly a precondition the government set when allowing companies to sell tolls / tags - I'm speculating here

• Advertisement

Advertisement