Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how long can a poor upbringing be blamed for crime?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

If a person commits a crime, they are responsible - not their upbringing.
    However, if their upbringing has been one of neglect and a lot of exposure to e.g. violence and crime, then this is bound to be a factor in how they've ended up. To acknowledge that is not making an excuse for them, just identifying a root cause. An upbringing with stability, values, boundaries, decent education... the more people who have these, the less crime there'd be I have no doubt.

Of course plenty of people who have a difficult background don't commit crimes, and some people with a stable upbringing still end up committing crimes, but these don't negate the above.

I don't think karma is a real thing - there are very good people who have awful lives, and awful people who have good lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Joshua5 wrote: »
    I was young is as bad an excuse as I had a poor up bringing. Fights are ok, most lads have done it. Pulling stokes in shops, getting caught twice means it happened many other times. In my opinion, people like you ruin other peoples lives, makes them nervous wrecks and anyone who walks onto someones premises with an intention to steal should be leaving in a bodybag... I now await my ban.

I agree with a lot of what you say. But I didn't excuse myself for anything I have done. Do you assume I don't realize I have wrecked lives.... I am not exactly hiding the fact. Im not proud of it but thats my cross to carry not yours.

You have a deluded idea of how much crime happens and who commits it too most likely and thats evident with your body bag remark.

I wouldn't reports you, most is true as I say..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

5starpool wrote: »
    You're some man for starting threads lately Andy. You must have a lot on your mind.

Probably keeps him off the streets and out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The disadvantaged background is a convenient excuse invented by the judicial system allowing them to become multimillionaires on the back of these scrotes crimes.
    The justice system in Ireland is really a justice business.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

washman3 wrote: »
    The disadvantaged background is a convenient excuse invented by the judicial system allowing them to become multimillionaires on the back of these scrotes crimes.
    The justice system in Ireland is really a justice business.:mad:

It really is. I had a Garda tell me of a planned raid while golfing and a super that did me a favour that I cant mention. And I obviously was known for the wrong reasons. Crime is way more organized than the justice system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Joshua5

LucidLife wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you say. But I didn't excuse myself for anything I have done. Do you assume I don't realize I have wrecked lives.... I am not exactly hiding the fact. Im not proud of it but thats my cross to carry not yours.

You have a deluded idea of how much crime happens and who commits it too most likely and thats evident with your body bag remark.

I wouldn't reports you, most is true as I say..

I am far from deluded in terms of the amount of crime that happens. Too much happens and too many people (including yourself) keep doing it because they are scum of the earth. One strike is ok, two and you should be properly punished. Half these lads get a little bit of time a career criminals, get their social welfare when they come out and continue on their petty crime to top it up. Cut the lot of you off is what I say and stick them in the care of their family. If they family don't want them then drown them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

If a person commits a crime, they are responsible - not their upbringing.
    However, if their upbringing has been one of neglect and a lot of exposure to e.g. violence and crime, then this is bound to be a factor in how they've ended up. To acknowledge that is not making an excuse for them, just identifying a root cause. An upbringing with stability, values, boundaries, decent education... the more people who have these, the less crime there'd be I have no doubt.

This all the way. People aren't using upbringing as an excuse but you simply can't ignore terrible upbringings at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Joshua5 wrote: »
    I am far from deluded in terms of the amount of crime that happens. Too much happens and too many people (including yourself) keep doing it because they are scum of the earth. One strike is ok, two and you should be properly punished. Half these lads get a little bit of time a career criminals, get their social welfare when they come out and continue on their petty crime to top it up. Cut the lot of you off is what I say and stick them in the care of their family. If they family don't want them then drown them

Ah, so people commit crimes purely because they are scum of the earth?

Venus in Furs hit the nail on the head. Some people have never had the opportunity to be habilitated, what hope do they have of being rehabilited? The legal and criminal system is archaic and clearly not capable of dealing with the social issues that exist in todays Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They say 'disadvantaged' because they can't be using the term 'Skanger'

IMO money has nothing to do with with a persons behavior.

It's the attitude of feeling the world owes them something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

If the system takes everyones circumstance into account, fair enough- but I don't think it does,
    IMO its the ones who can tell a good sob story and play a judge like a violin who will get chance after chance, everyone else has to be made an example of just so the judge can look A) progressive, by giving the repeat offenders chances and B) Not too soft, by meting out harsh sentences to the rest
    Seasoned criminals are well able to act and manipulate the courts
    Some judges have 'pets' imo.
    And I can see why they wouldnt want to continue the cycle of crime by keeping people in the system but still thin it's unjust because someone has to get the boot so to speak, in case the courts seem too lenient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

And you were definitely sold a sack of sh! T lol. There is no way the Garda plain and simple refuse to investigate because of who they are. Likely scenario is the chemist owner decided to give the alleged perpetrator a break on finding out the real story.you know its this thing called compassion for fellow man and almost everyone has it

Yes there is.
    A friend was told to go and retrieve their own property that was stolen from them.
    On a separate occasion same friend was told there is nothing the gardai could do despite knowing who had stolen different property.
    I know this to be a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Upbringing has nothing to do with it, look at Da Bert and David Drum Two of the biggest crooks this nation has ever seen and they where raised in middle class well to do families.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

OK found out today that the culprits were under-age thats why nothings being done. - Oh well my view is if your old enough to do the crime your old enough to do the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Upbringing has nothing to do with it, look at Da Bert and David Drum Two of the biggest crooks this nation has ever seen and they where raised in middle class well to do families.
    In fairness, upbringing can have something to do with it. Not talking about people growing up without much money, but people who have a crap life with neglect and surrounded by violence and crime.
    Of course this doesn't automatically mean they'll grow up a criminal (difficult cycle to break though) nor does it mean someone who has a stable, secure, comfortable upbringing definitely won't be a criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

There is a big difference between law and justice. You could have potentially ruined someone's life by posting here. You could have just bust a Garda op to get them for a more serious crime. You could potentially lose your friend.

You definitely lost respect here

A scumbag with a conscience
    Amazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

poor upbringing,is a common problem

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I have to ask. Do you know Kev from Sligo? Some say he's a koala is that actually true? Kev's a legend. Le-gendd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

This thread has everything. It's like a boards.ie episode of breaking bad. Gripping stuff.

Advertisement