Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To whom it may concern...

• 23-05-2003 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to put this into a separate thread to make it easier for Dataisgod to get rid of it and all the nonsense it may possibly churn up!

As you are no doubt aware there has been a debate ongoing on the “trekkiest star trek female” thread.

In all seriousness I asked what purpose 7 of 9’s ample bosom served in the quest for Borg perfection?

This was the first time I’d ever really pondered such questions as
    Why is there a need for gender differentiation within the Borg?

Why if they do not reproduce sexually is there a need for the production as such hormones of oestrogen and progesterone, which would cause 7 to have boobedies?

The Borg I would assume have no use for novelties such as these and their aesthetic quality would be wasted on the other members of the collective.

They do not serve a purpose and therefore are (in Seven’s case for example) quite a large imperfection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

The borg assimulate other races, other races do have need for women with boobies :) ... it would be an unneccessary use of time and resources to 'unsex' every drone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ha! Why oh why did I ever mention that woman's breasts????
    Anyway my theory is....
    Her breasts scare me because they are strangely spherical and seem to be very solid ( perhaps one day I will test this theory and risk a barring order by Jeri Ryan who knows what i'm capable of).. so perhaps they have been reinforced in some way to create body armour???
    It could happen!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭MrGump

I didnt understand anything u just wrote Ms Lamda. Are u suggesting her breasts have been modified to form miniature borg spheres. i dread to think where the cube is??

Why was the sexualising of 7 of 9 neccessary??? Im sure Gene would turn in his grave to learn that a female character from his show (or the progeny of his show) was discussed in such a vulgar manner:D

I make complete sense.
    I am suggesting that she either has some form of alloy breasts or a melon cut in half down there.
    Either I feel is quite plausible

I agree that an alloy is probably in use, perhaps a polyduranide one. Maybe the aesthetic value should be considered. A kind of look what you can have through assimilation???

• Advertisement

Hmmm I dont hink there is much aesthetic value! They're too threatening:eek:

Well maybe instead of aesthetically pleasing they are threatening. Maybe they are meant to communicate the cohesiveness of the collective and the futility of resistance via their solidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Indeed amz there have been a number of threads on the trek totty which i for some reason have decided to keep seperate to avoid general confusion, so in answer to your question i point in the direction of azezil's accurate answer and add that 7 of 9 was assimilated from young age after here parents ship the raven was considered a threat by the borg IIRC, though you question does bare merit, why didn't the borg control what ever chemicals cause such large breast growth surely it is inefficient on the resources which are required to cover such an ample cleavage and for that matter we could ask why the borg bother covering such parts of the anatomy at all? is this a hint of modesty in the borg? no doubt that only should have prosthetics which serve an efficient function.

I blame it on the borg queen she showed an inherent sexuality in star trek 8 and perhaps she likes to have beautiful large breasted drones around her sometimes with perfectly spherical breasts, or perhaps they are assimilation tools in which the nano tubes can shoot out from her nipples or something equally nasty if she catches some one staring at them one will never know.

with regards to there sphericity perhaps it is more related to the outfit in question in which the initial forming fitting silver suit apparently served a medical purpose according to the doctor (yeah right) he just wanted to she here in a stiff whale bone corset me thinks, however it does seem in real life a departure from such sphericity has been obtained to some extent by jeri ryan as can be seen by the eye pleasing picutre posted by gordon in one of the threads now enough of my rambling i'm off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

lads its one thing going on about why a warp core is their and what it does

but jeri ryans tits come on lads
    their their and damn good looking 2 just take it as that
    the main people that watch st are 16- 30 year old males and most men like a nice arse etc so seven was born (kinda for that reasion) its the same with t,pol

Im pretty sure nobody is taking this seriously bizmark. And analysing a warp core seems boring to me.

• Advertisement

ill have you know warp cores can make weird colors lol :D

Im familar with the basic principles of warp fields and the core. that is a result of ten years without many friends and too much money, fortunately i have little money now!

aye us people should see the sun now and again really

l :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

Jeri's breasts added great lift to the show.

The first time we meet the borg we find the borg children in a little press, maybe they do reproduce.

nah, they're maturation chambers, for the offspring of assimilated cultures. They accelerate the growth of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm not sure why large breasts would be considered perfection by the Borg Queen...

I mean in certain cultures smaller, even saggy boobies are considered appealing?

The production of the hormones which produce the female shape cause certain inefficiencis. The fluctuations in the hormoes each month would not make for efficient running....

Therefore in the long run would it not be easier for the Borg to implant a hormonal inhibitor in human females to prevent such things...

The hormones prduced by humans serve the purpose of preparing them for sexual reproduction therefore if the Borg do not reproduce what is ther point in the Borg drones producing irrelevant chemicals within the body?

ok, maybe this is an irrelevant question but i will ask. Considering the number of different species assimilated by the Borg each with their separate physiologies would be worthwhile to create such an inhibitor given the small percentage of the human female drones?

Oh god we need to stop!

Question: Did the queen have breasts? Dont think so, i know her suit did but was any of that suit organic?

Re: the Queen..
    If the suit has breasts then it stands to reason that she does.. why would you build places for them to go if they weren't there? Dear lord this is getting strange:D :D

Is the Borg queen human?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Maybe they they use some futuristic in vitro fertilization technique to replicate.

• Advertisement

Hmmm i dunno she looks kinda human....
    With all this talk of breasts though, I feel I need to complain at the lack of attractive males for us girls to look at...
    The closest thing if ya ask me is Scott Bakula... but thats probably residual from the Quantum Leap days.
    Oh for the pre pubescent days when I used to like Wesley Crusher!!!:D

I agree lamda!

Also with the Scott Bakula thingie... yes I am disturbed by my own twistedness... please dont ban me!!

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Maybe they they use some futuristic in vitro fertilization technique to replicate.

Oh yeah... in which case they'd need to feed the babies... hence the 7 of 9's breats

(you didn't think I was gonna let that one go)

But how is she producing the Milk to feed the babies!!

Originally posted by Amz
    But how is she producing the Milk to feed the babies!!

Well she's not, coz shes not in the Borg anymore.
    You really need to keep up!!!

If she was in the Borg, they'd give her hormone treatment to stimulate milk production.

Please explain to me how they would do this exactly...

Use correct scientific information so we can appear to be more nerdy than we already do

Originally posted by Amz
    Please explain to me how they would do this exactly...

Use correct scientific information so we can appear to be more nerdy than we already do

Jeez, Amz, I dunno, they're in the future, they have better medical techniques than we do.

If I was to theorise, I'd say that they induce lactogenesis with some sort of artificial prolactin treatment and then use and electrically stimulating pump to harvest milk from the females while they are recharging all the while continuing treatment with oestrogen and prolactin.

* Disclaimer: I don't watch much Star Trek so I dunno much about Borgs.

Although I don't necessarily agree with your assessment I respect your opinion.

Originally posted by Amz
    Although I don't necessarily agree with your assessment I respect your opinion.

Mneh, you do realise none of this actually happens yeah?
    I'm justmaking stuff up

Hey, maybe the Borg only act all anal to other species, they could be having orgies in their ships when noone is watching...

Hence the big Breasts....

• Advertisement

Quiet you!

/me scowls

Advertisement