Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random longshot of a question: can anybody here guess the value of this naval ship?

• 27-05-2012 3:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭

This may not be of interest to anybody here, and I'm not sure if folks here can actually price naval vessels, so it's a longshot! But I have an interest in Kenyan affairs so here we go:

The Kenyan defence forces contracted a company called Euromarine to supply a navy vessel back in 2003, and is only slated for delivery this year after massive corruption allegations relating to it's procurement stalled negotiations.

The Kenyan government will be paying a total of about 50million euros for it, with many folks alleging that a lot of that cash is going into politicians pockets, and that such a ship could have been supplied for much much less.

In fact, the ship is a refurbished oceanographic survey vessel so who knows how old it is...

The 1,400 (some reports say 1,020) tonne vessel is 85 metres long, 13 metres wide and has a maximum speed of 28 knots. It can carry between 60 and 81 personnel.

Here's the "brochure".

http://www.gondan.com/media/djcatalog/430%20JASIRI%20Brochure%20BAJA.pdf

Do you think it's worth 50million euro?

With the help of google translate I've seen some Spanish media saying that it's worth around 18million, especially since it's been rusting in a Spanish dock for almost a decade.

20110919_085446_430jasiri1_l.jpg

By the way, it's called "KNS Jasiri". Is there any way to find it's previous name? An online maritime database or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

For 50m you'd get something twice the size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

For 50m you'd get something twice the size.

Brand new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Yup. New Irish OPV for example.
    http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/Release+ID/24D094FA0CCF107A80257A02004D22CD?OpenDocument

2 ships,90m long, 14 wide Max speed 23kn €99m

Jasiri was bilt in 2005. We got Roisin and Niamh in 1999 and 2001 for about €30m each. Including armament.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Thanks for the info.

Jasiri, the ship I'm "investigating", was refurbished in 2005, but it is an old ship. Depending on which source I read, it was either a fishing trawler or a scientific survey vessel.

What was it before being named Jasiri? Is there any way for me to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Try in the maritime forum. on the Soc drop down just above this one

• Advertisement
Advertisement