Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Union police data sharing plans come into force in 2011.

• 13-12-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

"Sensitive information such as a driver’s address, motoring convictions and medical history will be exposed to routine sifting by police, traffic wardens and other officials across Europe when European Union data sharing plans come into force in 2011"

In otherwords anyone caught with unpaid toll, parking or congestion charges can be hunted down almost anywhere in the EU after 2011 when this kicks in. :eek:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6954622.ece

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was bound to happen eventually in fairness. My concern would be the casual disregard to data security and privacy rights shown by members of the Gardai - as evidenced by a recent thread on this very forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Was bound to happen eventually in fairness. My concern would be the casual disregard to data security and privacy rights shown by members of the Gardai - as evidenced by a recent thread on this very forum.
    Link?
    This is also the consequences of the Lisbon result beginning to sprout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Link?
    This is also the consequences of the Lisbon result beginning to sprout.

Nothing to do with Lisbon.

People on here seem to love to bash the Lisbon Treaty at all times, even when it has absolutely nothing to do with their arguement.

Second time I've caught you out bashing Lisbon without reason btw.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757590&highlight=Lisbon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Generally speaking though, if you don't break the law you've got little to worry about. Go figure.

Anyway the information is only shared with Police Officers, who are vetted and trustworthy except in very rare circumstances. Either way, I'm not going to lose much sleep anyway if some Italian Polizia boss knows I got a speeding ticket. Which I didn't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Link?
    I've had a quick look but can't find it now. It was locked (and I'm presuming deleted?) in the end

Basically the gist was that a poster came on saying that a Garda he was selling a car to privately used his access to the PULSE system to do checks not only on the OP, but the car and a 3rd party that the OP had been involved in an accident with.

Several other AGS members (regular posters here) came on then attempting to defend this casual use of confidential information for personal reasons.

I'm sure other Motors regulars will vouch for me on this one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

We will no doubt hear more of this kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Great news. I always find it rather funny when people post here about "those damn UK yellow plate cars coming down here speeding around ignoring our traffic laws" in one post then happily talk about breaking road laws around Europe in rental cars in the next post. This just means people will just, shock horror, have to drive properly in whatever country theyre in or face the appropriate punishment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I suppose that's the Lisbon Treatys fault too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

sdonn wrote: »
    Generally speaking though, if you don't break the law you've got little to worry about. Go figure.

Anyway the information is only shared with Police Officers, who are vetted and trustworthy except in very rare circumstances. Either way, I'm not going to lose much sleep anyway if some Italian Polizia boss knows I got a speeding ticket. Which I didn't :P

That attitude worries me. The question is "who's law?" Look back in history and make the same statement for the laws of the Soviet Union or the Third Reich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I was going to make a facetious comment about Communist Russia and Nazy Germany, but then I remembered that the UK's laws are becoming ever more draconian, intrusive and controlling every year.

Bah humbug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Most likely only through your postings though.

"Meh" is what comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

European Union police data sharing plans come into force in 2011.
    About bloody time.

Edit: Love the tone of the article. Making us pay fines for motoring offences? Johnny foreigner's got some cheek!

The only downside I see here is the blizzard of postal spam which will accompany this being launched. "You are being fined for speeding in Spain. Please send €20 to Prince Joe Eboh, 419 Gwarimpa St, Abuja, Nigeria."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ART6 wrote: »
    That attitude worries me. The question is "who's law?" Look back in history and make the same statement for the laws of the Soviet Union or the Third Reich.
    Tragedy wrote: »
    I was going to make a facetious comment about Communist Russia and Nazy Germany, but then I remembered that the UK's laws are becoming ever more draconian, intrusive and controlling every year.

Bah humbug.

You're not seriously comparing Gordon Brown's government and policy to Hitler's or Stalin's are you?

Hitler was considerably more intelligent :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

ART6 wrote: »

Godwins law at post #10? Is this a record, even for a RTDH thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

We're all going to be microchipped at licence renewal anyway, so I for one won't be worried.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement