Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish are most law-abiding drivers in Europe

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

It's only a poll of 8k.
    I'd say if it came down to statistics we'd be the worst, by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

"of the 8000 drivers polled" yeah, I'd say they were brittish and Irish drivers asked if they would ever jump the lights or were they ever on the phone - "why of course not".
    Where did they get this information I wonder?
    I would believe the speeding element to it alright though, and I wonder if dectection has any role to play in the "poll"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I believe it.

I've heard alot about Italian and Spanish driving standards and we ain't that bad for legal things.

As far as driving skills or competency goes, we probably rank the lowest. Separate ranking table for the lows we would go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any chance on a survey on proper lane discipline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The 20 minutes I spent on the M50 last night were quite the opposite!

In those 20 minute I was almost hit twice by people changing lanes and not looking in their mirrors, one which was only narrowly avoided as thankfully my car had the acceleration to get me out of trouble; had a moron in an ancient Astra tailgating and flashing me (at high speed) rather than overtaking me, and saw a couple of cars ambling along at 80 or so in a 120kmh section.

The standard of driving in this country is genuinely shocking sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Any chance on a survey on proper lane discipline?

Anyone see the accident on the m50 this morning? Some car rear ended someone else. I stopped and took a good look at it :rolleyes:

I stopped and took a good look at it :rolleyes:

Ha, I always find it amusing when that big ferris wheel goes up beside the M50 each year and all you hear on the evening traffic report is how all the rubbernecking is causing delays. Every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I suppose when you think about it there are a few places in Europe where the driving is so bad that they gave up with the rules of the road and its everyone for themselves. I don't know the name of it but I think in Paris the mad roundabout there, if you have a crash, its automatically done as 50/50 on the insurance, they don't bother finding who is to blame.

pippip wrote: »
    I suppose when you think about it there are a few places in Europe where the driving is so bad that they gave up with the rules of the road and its everyone for themselves. I don't know the name of it but I think in Paris the mad roundabout there, if you have a crash, its automatically done as 50/50 on the insurance, they don't bother finding who is to blame.

The roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe - I've been on it and it's nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe - I've been on it and it's nuts!

I feckin' love driving around it.

What other roundabout in the world is there where the people coming onto the roundabout have right of way. :D

Irish are the most law abiding drivers in Europe. ROFL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I believe they try to be the most law abiding.

I think most Irish rule breakers are due to total incompetence, lack of training and general misunderstanding of what it is they are actually doing.

I've driven in too many countries to count and find that while they will knowingly break the law the drivers of just about everywhere generally have a much better understanding of what they are doing than us !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Berty wrote: »
    I feckin' love driving around it.

What other roundabout in the world is there where the people coming onto the roundabout have right of way. :D

Irish are the most law abiding drivers in Europe. ROFL :D

All the ones in Libya

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mailforkev wrote: »
    had a moron in an ancient Astra tailgating and flashing me (at high speed) rather than overtaking me
    I think they were trying to tell you to turn on your headlights. :)

Victor wrote: »
    I think they were trying to tell you to turn on your headlights. :)

:rolleyes: To my own shame I actually doubted myself at the time and checked they were on before I confirmed that he was indeed just an arse.

As an aside, am I the only one to notice that most of the worst drivers on motorways tend to be in older smaller cars. The very cars that would have me much more aware of my own mortality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1130/road.html

Its all more to do with admitting to offenses.

Could also double as a poll for who are the most dishonest drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

L'Arc de Triomphe and other roundabouts where those entering have priority are technically Traffic Circles.

L'Arc de Triomphe and other roundabouts where those entering have priority are technically Traffic Circles.

Traffic Circle = Roundabout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I've driven throughout Lithuania and Latvia, it was 100x more scary than the worst of Irish driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

The Majority of Irish drivers are terrible.

Look at the N4, m50 or M7 in the wet with fog. People do not have a clue that it takes nearly 300ft to stop at 80 mph.

Whoever they asked in this poll lied their ass's off.
    Or else they asked the guards, think how safe it would be if they actually enforced the law.

My favourite place for driving was Cairo. I was there in 95 and they had recently introduced traffic lights. The site of 5 lanes of cars on a 3 lane road is one that will stay with me forever along with the impatient Pickup driver who rammed a car out of his lane (nearly knocking down a traffic policeman), and then they all just continued on their merry way.

Advertisement