Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2012, 14:32   #1
mp3ireland2

Internal 2tb hard drive

Anybody know best value at the min? saw one for about £100 on amazon, out of stock now. It's for use with http://www.itproportal.com/2012/02/1...age-appliance/ this, so think the network speed will be the limit factor rather than hard drive speed? Currently only have a 100mb network, but even with 1000mb the newtork is prob the limiting factor I'm guessing? Any help appreciated!
Advertisement
28-02-2012, 14:46   #2
Wossack

imo 100mb will be a bottleneck on file transfers., I used to get approx 10-14MB/s to a NAS typically capable of 3 to 4 times that speed

1000mb should (!) move the bottleneck to the OS/harddisks

just in my experience (and from memory)

/edit if you're looking to fill that 2tb disk quickly (and apologies, Im no use in finding any deals on one!), I'd put the disk physically into your source machine, if possible, and fill it up that way. Transplant it back into the Zyxel when you've done the brunt of the coping
28-02-2012, 15:51   #3
mp3ireland2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wossack View Post
imo 100mb will be a bottleneck on file transfers., I used to get approx 10-14MB/s to a NAS typically capable of 3 to 4 times that speed

1000mb should (!) move the bottleneck to the OS/harddisks

just in my experience (and from memory)

/edit if you're looking to fill that 2tb disk quickly (and apologies, Im no use in finding any deals on one!), I'd put the disk physically into your source machine, if possible, and fill it up that way. Transplant it back into the Zyxel when you've done the brunt of the coping
yeah I think I loose everything on a disk if I put in into the Zyxel from what I hear! Yeah I may upgrade and put in a 1000mb router.. think my pc LAN is only 100 card and probably my media player and satelite box... don't know about playstation... i'll put in 1000mb cable anyway if I want to update it later... yeah will be a slow transfer filling up first! think i've about 1.2gb... don't even know why i want this network, impulse buying of the NAT but should be pretty cool to have running!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion