Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i trace a mobile phone number?

• 19-07-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Basically some asshole keeps ringing my house number and he/she never talks..i have caller id so i know its the same person's mobile number...has woken me up in the middle of the night a few times...ive told them to fukk off etx but they never say anything back so i always end up hanging up...how do i go about getting their name/can i report them to the gaurds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Report them to the Gardai, they'll be able to do a trace on the number regardless of whether the ID is witheld or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

It's simple.

Call The Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭beetlefan

text that number back and tell it that you have reported the matter to the cops and see if that works. If not keep a detailed record of the calls and then really report it, the number can be traced if it is serious enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

hello932 wrote: »
    Basically some asshole keeps ringing my house number and he/she never talks..i have caller id so i know its the same person's mobile number...has woken me up in the middle of the night a few times...ive told them to fukk off etx but they never say anything back so i always end up hanging up...how do i go about getting their name/can i report them to the gaurds?

Phone them at random times of the day at your convenience & just hang up. Taste of their own medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Stop picking up and giving out to them. That'll only encourage them. Turn the phone off at night and when you see it's them calling just ignore it. They'll eventually get bored once you stop reacting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I think Eircom can help with this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Key in *#1545#(insert the mobile number here without a space)*1545#pw
    This reports the phone to the relevant network. It will alert the network to the fact that the T&C's are being breached. The network will then inform the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Cyberpolice tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

It's simple.

Call The Batman.

according to another thread...thats now considered playing with god!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Print it out on normal paper, than put a ligher sheet over where you can see the number through, a just use a pencil to go over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Tell the guards. Also, answer every call and immediately put the phone down somewhere and let them wrack up a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Im really sure what to do to be honest...seeing as they know my home phone number they probably know where i live...great.

In my head id like to think its just some ****ty loser with no life. But it might be someone checking to see if anyone is home at that time to burglar the house or it might be some psychopath watching me from outside (like in horror movies)...i wish we had legal guns here like in the usa...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the caller is calling from a private number you can report it to Gardai, with your permission they can track the number through the culprits service provider and also trace the GSM cordinates if the case is serious. They must have access to your calls to do this..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭questionmark?

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Stop picking up and giving out to them. That'll only encourage them. Turn the phone off at night and when you see it's them calling just ignore it. They'll eventually get bored once you stop reacting.

Nope keep answering the phone but dont talk just waste their credit. If you get bored of this start singing a jedward song that'll scare the bastards right off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Google the number to we if anyone else I having a similar problem with that number.

Failing that ring the relevant operator and ask them to investigate. Call cops about it at th same time so it's all formally logged cos phone company won't do anythng without a Garda complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Nope keep answering the phone but dont talk just waste their credit. If you get bored of this start singing a jedward song that'll scare the bastards right off!

Thanks for bring freaky twins into this thread :mad: I have the displeasure of bringing my daughter into Kilkenny tomorrow to get the album signed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Some sound advice given previously.

I had a nutcase do similar once.
    Turned out to be some bloke in a small town in Scotland.
    I did like suggested above and within a week it was sorted. Good luck. :)

Get the number, write it down. Now divide by 0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Im really sure what to do to be honest...seeing as they know my home phone number they probably know where i live...great.

In my head id like to think its just some ****ty loser with no life. But it might be someone checking to see if anyone is home at that time to burglar the house or it might be some psychopath watching me from outside (like in horror movies)...i wish we had legal guns here like in the usa...

Well today is your lucky day! Guns are legal here, but today they published a bill to say they you can use them in self defense.

Also, what I would do is answer the phone, then blow a whistle into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Well today is your lucky day! Guns are legal here, but today they published a bill to say they you can use them in self defense.

Also, what I would do is answer the phone, then blow a whistle into it.

Hold on are you telling me that i can actually buy a gun in ireland for use as self defense? where can i buy though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

.i wish we had legal guns here like in the usa...

we do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hold on are you telling me that i can actually buy a gun in ireland for use as self defense? where can i buy though?
    Well Poundstretcher sell loads of water ones!
    There's many a bad thief that could do with a clean start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

call the number from a different line or perhaps skype.

you might recognise the person.

you could also try make up BS story to try and find out the persons name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Terry wrote: »
    This reports the phone to the relevant network. It will alert the network to the fact that the T&C's are being breached. The network will then inform the Gardaí.

Yes but the OP would need to make sure that it is actually malicious.

They wouldn't want to jump the gun, make assumptions and end up looking like complete a d!ckhead now would they Terry?

I had a number call me for about two weeks, roughly same time every other morning, they never spoke and all I heard was background noise. Eventually I called the person back and it turned out to be a guy in logistics for a company that did work for me, nothing malicious just his phone used to dial my number by accident when it was in his holster in work.

Another time I was in bed asleep with my phone beside me and whatever way I turned in bed it a work colleagues number....thank feck I wasn't getting busy. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Play this in the background really loud when you answer, then shout down the phone...

"Would you fúck me?"
    "I'd fúck me."
    "I'd fúck me hard, I'd fúck me so hard."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,200 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If your name starts with A, you can be sure its someone dialing by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

See if they have voice mail setup, put a "5" between the network code (087/086/083 etc) and the number, it goes to voice mail, if you a lucky they might have customized the greeting..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Terry wrote: »

Feck , you can do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

beetlefan wrote: »
    text that number back and tell it that you have reported the matter to the cops and see if that works. If not keep a detailed record of the calls and then really report it, the number can be traced if it is serious enough

If it is a prank call I wouldn't text them back because then they'll have your mobile number aswell as your home number. If the person bought a top-up sim pack and haven't registered it they can't be traced the Mobile company can just block sim card. It could also as op said be someone that rings your number by accident...phone in pocket etc. I'm sure you checked the number against numbers in your mobile contacts? I would try calling it to see if I recognise the voice but tbh if it continues I would contact the guards and contact the relevant mobile provider which might not be the obvious from the prefix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

Go on to some site which sends your phone texts like 10 times every day telling you about their product, pretty much sign them up for like 50 of them, that'll teach 'em!

Advertisement