Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maritime books?

Options
  • 07-09-2014 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm looking for suggestions for books that discuss civilian shipboard life between the 1920s-40s. Either historical fiction or real accounts, both are fine. I'd like to find some good reading that talks about what life was like for merchant sailors in the era and covers a bit of the day to day running of a civilian ship. I'm not particular as to the specifics. Tramp ships or liners, coasters or ocean going ships. They're all interesting for me.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Possibly the best book from a 'before the mast' perspective in the final days of the sailing ship is a book by Eric Newby called 'The Last Grain Race' about a voyage that finished just before the outbreak of WW2
    He wrote several other books, including 'Love and War in the Appenines' describing his wartime exploits - that is where he met his Italian wife. 'Round Ireland in Low Gear' is another, all of which are well worth reading but not 'nautical'.

Advertisement