Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Point Village & iSense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

I hope it's a straight up genuine imax screen and not the liemax version, it'll be great to have if it is!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great news!

I assume it's genuine IMAX. Fake IMAX usually happen when a theatre owner converts an existing normal sized screen into a "IMAX Digital" screen. It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Yeah, did a survey a while ago mentioning an IMAX opening down near the point depot. Seems as though they are going ahead with it. The names they wanted your opinion on were BRUTAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Is there any actual confirmation that it will have IMAX? I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Is there any actual confirmation that it will have IMAX? I don't want to get my hopes up just yet.
    Says it in the article

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There was an article about the March opening in today's Irish Times as well, but no mention of IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Joekers wrote: »
    Says it in the article

An article from Entertainment.ie...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

WatchWolf wrote: »
    Joekers wrote: »
    Says it in the article

An article from Entertainment.ie...

Yes it is confirmed. Its a 12 screen cinema inclusive of an imax screen. And costa coffee :-) lets hope they can get dunnes to open their store in the point village and ignite theshopping centre. The cinema will need the footfall. Great for docklands too.

Anybody been down that way to see the consrruction?

its the only major retail construction project active in the city at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I got to see MI4 in IMAX at the weekend and it truly was a spectacle.

If it's a proper IMAX screen being built in Dublin then I really hope it succeeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I got to see MI4 in IMAX at the weekend and it truly was a spectacle.

If it's a proper IMAX screen being built in Dublin then I really hope it succeeds.

glad you saw it the proper way! im counting down the weeks until The Dark Knight Rises hits cinemas in Toronto, Ill be there back row centre as soon as possible! :)

hope the Dublin IMAX does well, I think it has a good chance. Even if it is loss-making, hopefully the other 11 screens pick up the slack, the IMAX presence may help build some customer loyalty...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Will this be ready for dark knight?

liffeylite wrote: »
    Yes it is confirmed. Its a 12 screen cinema inclusive of an imax screen.
    What's your source for this? And I thought the IMAX screen was going to be in addition to the 12 screens, no?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    glad you saw it the proper way! im counting down the weeks until The Dark Knight Rises hits cinemas in Toronto, Ill be there back row centre as soon as possible! :)

hope the Dublin IMAX does well, I think it has a good chance. Even if it is loss-making, hopefully the other 11 screens pick up the slack, the IMAX presence may help build some customer loyalty...
    Yeah zero chance I'll be seeing The Dark Knight Rises anywhere else but the IMAX although it's going to be a nightmare to get decent tickets for it.

The prologue looked impressive on the big screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

Dman001 wrote: »
    Thought Antrim Omniplex had an IMAX screen, going by their clever "Omnimaxx" title. Turns out it it's just a large screen! Can't see there being a market for on in Ireland alright, due to our small population! But am definitely for the technology and hope more films are shot in IMAX, and not this 3D rubbish!

I was planning on going here and when I checked it a few months ago I'd swear it said it was an IMAX. They were/are totally trying their arm with the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IMAX_venues#Northern_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

liffeylite wrote: »
    Anybody been down that way to see the consrruction?

its the only major retail construction project active in the city at the mo.
    I live down the road, and have been passed by a few times in the last month or two. There is absolutely no sign of the cinema at all.

Im presuming it is going into the same building as the Gibson hotel or in one of the adjoining empty buildings, as 1 month would be pretty short notice to knock up a multiplex. But there doesnt appear to be anything going on down there at all at the moment.

I'd say the announcement of opening in March was either a lie, fanciful thinking or trying to force someone's hand in a negotiation to get it set up.

I could be wrong, but with only just over a week before March begins, you'd expect to see something resembling the entrance to a cinema taking shape, but I havent seen anything

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭notsobadinc

odeon cinemas are opening their first branded irish cinema, albeit theres one in belfast, and its opening in the same building as the gibson hotel in late march. work is nearly finished.
    it will be a 6 screen cinema with costa coffee and will have odeons version of IMAX-far better sound system and dynamics.
    rest of storm/uci cinemas will be rebranded in quarter 2 as odeon cinemas with new locations opening in quarter 3.
    no mention of a 12 screen though...

Their version of IMAX? I assume that means "digital IMAX", i.e. not IMAX at all. Well that's very disappointing if true, but not entirely surprising.

no not disappointing quite the opposite. .Its imax with imm sound (barcelona) integration..
    Difference is imax has limited span of films where with odeon version there is not the samé limitations to films or new releases plus the greater sound inscreen makes it a more enjoyable experience..
    Its coming to point 1st and other irish sites this year-already proving věry successful in germany and spain..
    Odeon are investing heavily in ireland ať moment and going forward will be rolling out the brand and associated products this year..
    Have been to imax in uk and věry enjoyable so i expect this to be same..
    Expect point to be fully operational for april late march. .

How big will the IMAX screen be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Technically not Ireland I know but is there not one in Belfast?

There was but it's closed as well.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, folks, "true" IMAX involves a 70mm film projector and a very large square screen with an aspect ratio of 1.44:1. "Digital IMAX", on the other hand, usually uses a 4k digital projector and a 16:9 screen that's closer to the audience. From the sounds of it, Odeon/The Point is going to have "Digital IMAX", which as I said earlier isn't true IMAX, it just uses the IMAX name and charges the same price. A true IMAX cinema is so large that it can only show IMAX films.

There's no comparisons between the two. While "Digital IMAX" is better than a regular cinema, and may even be larger in some cases, it's not the real thing. If you looking to watch any old 35mm or digitally shot film, "Digital IMAX" will look great, but if you are looking to watch TDKR the way Christopher Nolan intended it then forget about it. In fact, the prologue for TDKR wasn't even made available to "Digital IMAX" screens - it was 70mm IMAX only.

no not disappointing quite the opposite. .Its imax with imm sound (barcelona) integration..
    Difference is imax has limited span of films where with odeon version there is not the samé limitations to films or new releases plus the greater sound inscreen makes it a more enjoyable experience..
    Its coming to point 1st and other irish sites this year-already proving věry successful in germany and spain..
    Odeon are investing heavily in ireland ať moment and going forward will be rolling out the brand and associated products this year..
    Have been to imax in uk and věry enjoyable so i expect this to be same..
    Expect point to be fully operational for april late march. .
    Sounds like Digital IMAX to me which pales in comparison to the real deal. It's still a decent movie going experience but it doesn't come close to offering the same experience as full on 15/70 IMAX.

Just to be clear, folks, "true" IMAX involves a 70mm film projector and a very large square screen with an aspect ratio of 1.44:1. "Digital IMAX", on the other hand, usually uses a 4k digital projector and a 16:9 screen that's closer to the audience. From the sounds of it, Odeon/The Point is going to have "Digital IMAX", which as I said earlier isn't true IMAX, it just uses the IMAX name and charges the same price. A true IMAX cinema is so large that it can only show IMAX films.

There's no comparisons between the two. While "Digital IMAX" is better than a regular cinema, and may even be larger in some cases, it's not the real thing. If you looking to watch any old 35mm or digitally shot film, "Digital IMAX" will look great, but if you are looking to watch TDKR the way Christopher Nolan intended it then forget about it. In fact, the prologue for TDKR wasn't even made available to "Digital IMAX" screens - it was 70mm IMAX only.

Friend reckons its a 70mm projector...screen is massive..built and speced as imax as up until recently that was the plán and imax still interested..
    As regards your technical knowledge i cant answer Til i talk to him but there moving in next 2wks for final fitouts.
    From visiting other odeon sites they tendr to do it properly as opposed to offering some 2nd rate version..will have to wait and see..

Well I have been to both 70mm IMAX and Odeon Digital IMAX screenings and the later had more in common with a regular cinema experience than it did with the former.

Will be interested to hear what the screen size is.

s.m.b. and others from what im told unless you have been to odeon in germany or spain in the last year, then you defo have not experienced this odeon version of imax as you are quite right about digital imax which they operate already in the uk..
    point will be the first outside of spain and germany to get this new imax version with another irish site earmarked for april 2012..
    also told opening is defo end of march

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Given my experiences with both formats ... I'd travel up to Dublin for true Imax and if digital imax was in Cork I wouldn't spend the extra few euros for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

http://www.odeoncinemas.ie

Tickets are on sale now for it. Gonna be an iSense screen as opposed to an iMax. Screen is three stories tall, and has 54 speakers. Never seen a movie in either Imax or iSense, so I don't know what the differences are, but this does sound quite impressive.

Okay, so as expected, it's not IMAX. If those details are correct, then it's about half the size of an IMAX screen. But it should offer extremely impressive picture and sound nonetheless. At least they are honest and aren't calling it IMAX. From a cinema's perspective, true IMAX is a waste of money anyway as it's not going to be around in a few years time. Digital is the future and that's obviously what Odeon have their sights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ok its not imax but it sounds pretty deadly, cost effective too, 12.50 for an adult ticket isn't bad if its an impressive screen. is iSense in a similar screen ratio to imax?

• Advertisement

No. Like I said earlier, the IMAX format is practically square. Odeon's "iSense" screen is just a regular screen, albeit very large. So it won't be showing the IMAX version of TDKR.

Advertisement