Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Egyptian man to fight a lion in direct combat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

He has been arrested by Egyptian authorities according to bikyamasr.com who say that he is mentally ill, so I doubt this will go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Can't see it supplanting the pyramids as the mane tourist attraction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I wonder has he thought through the RAAAAARRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAimifications of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I wonder how it will be priced up. I wiuld guess 1.1 on the lion. I will lay it at that price and then back heavily around 1.4 if the man can get a few early digs in

i dont know. he said he has fought the most aggressive dogs. and if he can defeat a yorkshire terrier then a lion should be no bother.

WASP0 wrote: »
    He has been arrested by Egyptian authorities according to bikyamasr.com who say that he is mentally ill, so I doubt this will go ahead.

spoil sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wonder how it will be priced up. I wiuld guess 1.1 on the lion. I will lay it at that price and then back heavily around 1.4 if the man can get a few early digs in
    I don't know, they'd be underestimating the human, who will have a more profound understanding of the Lions behaviour and weak points and be able to plan a few moves ahead to get the lion into a position where the weaker human can be more effective.

By all accounts the human is the more dangerous animal. We are the worlds greatest killers, ever. We're not talking about you or I going into a fight on the spur of the moment, we're talking about a trained and committed human that knows how to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem for the lion is, that if the guy wins then there's a good chance the lion gets a sword in the guts and the guy walks off a hero.

if the lion wins, they're hardly going to leave him to munch on the dopey eejit, say thanks very much for the good show and then release him into the wild are they?

no, the lion will likely get new lead earrings and a dirt nap for his trouble. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

WASP0 wrote: »

As far as what is socially acceptable goes, there is a lion you just don't cross.

Sometimes you gotta fake it 'til you can make it!

Morlar wrote: »
    As far as what is socially acceptable goes, there is a lion you just don't cross.

the idea of the leaves me feline quite uncomfortable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This guy is such a badass. Is it possible to book him for parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

stovelid wrote: »
    Can't see it supplanting the pyramids as the mane tourist attraction though.

Are you kidding? They'll be millions lioning up to watch this

I think it all depends what kind of lion you get on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't know, they'd be underestimating the human, who will have a more profound understanding of the Lions behaviour and weak points and be able to plan a few moves ahead to get the lion into a position where the weaker human can be more effective.

By all accounts the human is the more dangerous animal. We are the worlds greatest killers, ever. We're not talking about you or I going into a fight on the spur of the moment, we're talking about a trained and committed human that knows how to win.

according to the interview - he's going to be unarmed :eek:

reckon its suicidal if thats the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Are you kidding? They'll be mil-lions lioning up to watch this

Needs more double pun whammy. :D

Wossack wrote: »

Tis mad though, the video I posted above, your man is unarmed and the lion backs down, then the other video they are all armed and the lion almost takes the head off one of the guys...

It's a Pride thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

Egypt’s ‘lion fight’ information battle
    Jun 7th, 2011 | By Bikya Masr Staff | Category: Animal Abuses, Animals, Animals Travel, Egypt, Travel News

CAIRO: An Egyptian man plans to fight a lion in an effort to promote tourism to the country. The man is arrested by Egyptian authorities. They allege he has mental problems and that a lion was never purchased. This was the story that was told to Bikya Masr by a number of animal welfare activists in the country, but according to comments on the arrest article, it may prove false. El-Sayad el-Essawy may still be at large and the “lion fight” could still happen, sources close to the man have reported.

According to one poster to the article, “It’s going to happen. He’s going to fight that lion. He is no longer under arrest, and he still has the lion, which he did in fact buy off the black market. I know him. He’s insane.”

The ministry of agriculture and the ministry of tourism declined to comment on the issue. Bikya Masr cannot report either way whether the man is in jail, whether he purchased a lion, or if the fight is going to happen.

According to local reports in late May, the Egyptian citizen purchased a lion for around 25,000 Egyptian pounds – in violation of stated international wildlife regulations – and is “”to fight the lion to death with swords.” It has been learned that the lion was in fact not purchased.

Egyptian Arabic newspaper al-Youm al-Saba’a said the idea was to “raise public attention and media to invite tourists to Egypt.”

In its statement on the “arrest” Minister of Tourism Munir Fakhry Abdel-Nour said that “under no circumstance will the Ministry of Tourism tolerate any degree of inhumane acts against animals.”

For now, it is a waiting game as to whether the lion exists, the man is free or what is happening. Such is the nature of information regarding animal rights in Egypt, a country that has done little to support the existence of animals in its midst. Along the Red Sea, almost monthly reports of poisoning of stray animals, dogs, cats and others, are reported.

“It is simply shocking to me that anyone would think that the vast majority of tourists that are thinking about coming to Egypt, or are in Egypt right now, would want to see this fight actually take place,” said Helen Reese, a British national who has lived in Egypt for over two years and is an ardent animal activist, when the news of the fight first arose.

“I just wish that there was a stronger movement to stop this cruelty,” she added.

Maybe it is going ahead after all>

didnt you read the article? Hes the strongest man in the world who will create a generation of supersoldiers! the lion hasnt a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The Lion will rip him apart.

I remember reading a story a few years back about a bunch of Africans who were attempting to cross a border through lion territory. A pack of lions followed their trail, and gave chase. The men all climbed up a tree to avoid the lions. Contrary to opinion, lions are actually great climbers.

So one lion climbed the tree, and ripped each man down one by one where the rest of the pride ripped them asunder. By the time authorities were made aware of the attack - there was only one man left, who had climbed to the far reaches of the tree, where the branches were too weak to support the lions weight.

Moral of the story is - don't **** with lions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Easog wrote: »
    Fighting one lion?..Sure Thats nothing. I once got into a scrap with two badgers in the Galtee mountains...and I won!.. but I didn't get any write up online...maybe thats what Ireland needs to boost our flagging tourist industry. I will tackle three badgers armed with nothing but a pointy stick..in the nude.

If it's honey badgers I'll take some of that action, you mad Bastet. I'll even sell choc-Isis and Nuts outside.

This is what Osiris(h) people need - more people putting a big of Thoth into it instead of letting the government Horus out to the IMF. This could be anubis-ness idea.

If it's honey badgers I'll take some of that action, you mad Bastet. I'll even sell choc-Isis and Nuts outside.

This is what Osiris(h) people need - more people putting a big of Thoth into it instead of letting the government Horus out to the IMF. This could be anubis-ness idea.

Sounds like a pharaoh-F kind of plan.

bollox. he's completely Hadit! as Amun-itary transaction its a competely ma-at point. as a sporting occasion, may the Bast animal win!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ra, ra, ra, rabble, rant. Tut and c'mon enough of that sort of thing.

He should be alright as long as he doesnt get overly ankh-scious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

The battle-lions have been drawn...

He should be alright as long as he doesnt get overly ankh-scious

I am sure he will be thinking Hakuna-matata.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Looks like Al-Sayed is destined to become an Al-Sayed Kebab.

If he does it DEN I'll give ten Euro to charity! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Lion pun.

Advertisement