Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the major causes of fires in factories

• 16-03-2015 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Is it overheating?or mixture of reactive chemicals? What are the causes say for example of fires occurring in fish factories and watch factories, textile, pharmaceutical and cosmetic factories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://bit.ly/1ESuKcx

you wont always have google/bing/boards to get answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Insurance ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

A gallon of petrol accidently spills and a source of ignition at that same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

When is your paper due for college then?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gctest50 wrote: »

http://bit.ly/1ESuKcx

you wont always have google/bing/boards to get answers
    Constructive posts only please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

Poor housekeeping I would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to look at proximate cause (spillage of flammable substance on hot surface) and underlying causes (poor maintenance).

In any building, construction work or similar is always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Poor housekeeping, materials incorrectly stored, are hazardous materials stored in a locked & properly bunded store? Are there sufficient electrical sockets? are they damaged? are they being overloaded with power strips everywhere? Is there loads of fuel present such as paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I once worked in a factory that used a lot of oils and chemicals, to the extent that we had our own internal (small) fire truck and trained part time fire-fighters. Everyone else had basic fire training, updated regularly.

Spills were relatively common and in the past they'd had an issue with someone simply not dumping oily rags correctly one Friday after a spill, and a on a warm saturday there was an oil fire in a bin outside. Poor ventilation caused issues also, some days the vapour fumes were high in certain zones, so they were very very strict about smoking areas.

They were mental for Health & Safety in this place, something we scoffed at but they came down hard on infractions with good reason.

There isn't a real common cause you can point to for industrial/commercial, I'd wager, in the way that 90% of Irish house fires are caused by chip pans and occur between 10pm and 3am (at least that's what I remember being told by our fire officer, don't have a link to hand). The main causes would have to be some incident arising out of poor storage of materials, inappropriate adjacency of some materials, not making a work site safe (e.g. electrical work, plumbing/gas), general non-compliance with regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd put money on stupidity being the main cause -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

MrDerp wrote: »
    I once worked in a factory that used a lot of oils and chemicals, to the extent that we had our own internal (small) fire truck and trained part time fire-fighters. Everyone else had basic fire training, updated regularly.

Spills were relatively common and in the past they'd had an issue with someone simply not dumping oily rags correctly one Friday after a spill, and a on a warm saturday there was an oil fire in a bin outside. Poor ventilation caused issues also, some days the vapour fumes were high in certain zones, so they were very very strict about smoking areas.

They were mental for Health & Safety in this place, something we scoffed at but they came down hard on infractions with good reason.

There isn't a real common cause you can point to for industrial/commercial, I'd wager, in the way that 90% of Irish house fires are caused by chip pans and occur between 10pm and 3am (at least that's what I remember being told by our fire officer, don't have a link to hand). The main causes would have to be some incident arising out of poor storage of materials, inappropriate adjacency of some materials, not making a work site safe (e.g. electrical work, plumbing/gas), general non-compliance with regulations.

Wha type of factory was that

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Wha type of factory was that

Paint. Manufacturing and distribution. Warehouse Distribution area was actually the most likely to produce any issue for reasons above

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Interesting article in the Guardian about Stafford Hegginbotham and his bad run of luck in factory fires.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/15/the-story-of-the-bradford-fire-book-extract

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Ahem! I missed the comment by Victor above.

Advertisement