Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Census 2016 - any new questions ?

• 10-03-2015 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

What new questions (if any) do you think should be asked on the census 2016 form ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Just to be topical, a slight amendment to an existing question maybe?
    • Single
    • Widowed
    • Divorced
    • Married (Opposite Sex)
    • Married (Same sex)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The commuting distance question should be reintroduced.

Munti-modal travel would be asked about -- ie do you use more than one mode per day or per week etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Which of the following infrastructure projects we've no intention of building would you like us to pretend we are actually building in the next 5 years

Metro North
    Dart underground
    Luas F
    Etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Where were you in 1916?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

One's level of Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They probably did a dry run with a few tens of thousands of people last year.

I took part in the trial they did in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Some of those questions put to GAA players in interviews published in match programmes, e.g.
    1. What is your favourite meal?
    2. Who was your most difficult opponent?
    3. Who has been the greatest influence on your career?
    4. Who is your favourite actress?

Why should footballers be asked these questions and not the rest of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Time starting & finishing school/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭paulbok

Would you describe your home as:
    a. made of cardboard
    b. small cottage
    c. modest apartment
    d. regular 3 bed semi-d
    e. large house on own site.
    f. mansion/ Stately Home
    g. castle
    h. bog standard home

monument wrote: »

Munti-modal travel would be asked about -- ie do you use more than one mode per day or per week etc

Also something to the effect of if your commute is as a car passenger, is your trip the primary reason for the car journey. If not where is the driver going (work, education, other).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

How do they get the figs into a fig roll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

What is your favourite colour?
    Maybe a few questions about comuuters, broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

monument wrote: »

AFAIK the Census asks for your place of work. They then calculate the distance themselves and use it in their POWSCAR analysis. Unlike the other census answers, however, this is not released to the public.

Aard wrote: »
    AFAIK the Census asks for your place of work. They then calculate the distance themselves and use it in their POWSCAR analysis. Unlike the other census answers, however, this is not released to the public.

It was a question in 2006.

Yes and I believe it was dropped due to people incorrectly estimating their distance travelled. By giving the CSO the address of POW they can get a more accurate calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The individual data is not released, as is the case for all census data. But the aggregate data is is made available for analysis by the transport bodies and the like, e.g. that there are 200 people travelling from Naas to Dublin 4.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My 2011 data is screwed then - I lived in the same town as now (different address) but my employers address was in Limerick.

My actual commute to work was a walk out the front door as I worked from my van.

Iirc there's a question on whether a person is a mobile worker. If there's no such question then there should be!

A lot of the transport data centres around commuting, whereas figures were released today showing that commuting only makes up a quarter of all travel. Perhaps the census could broaden their focus on travel rather than just commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Iirc there's a question on whether a person is a mobile worker. If there's no such question then there should be!

A lot of the transport data centres around commuting, whereas figures were released today showing that commuting only makes up a quarter of all travel. Perhaps the census could broaden their focus on travel rather than just commuting.

Agreed.

I telecommute 3 days a week from a home office in Cork, and once a week I drive to Dublin, where I spend one night in a hotel and 2 days in the office. If I simply answer the home and place of work question, and the CSO computes my commute, I'd be driving to Dublin 5 times a week according to the census.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MrDerp wrote: »
    Agreed.

I telecommute 3 days a week from a home office in Cork, and once a week I drive to Dublin, where I spend one night in a hotel and 2 days in the office. If I simply answer the home and place of work question, and the CSO computes my commute, I'd be driving to Dublin 5 times a week according to the census.

Yes, but, on average, it would only matter if there was a significant group of people who work as you do. There are people who live close to work but regularly travel a long distance away from work to perform duties. They would have the opposite effect on the figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

I expect they will use Eircodes to capture place of residence, work, and education provided the launch happens in June 2015 as planned. The X/Y coordinates linked to each Eircode will greatly facilitate analyses of travel patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MrDerp wrote: »
    Agreed.

The CSO is aware of this type of issue. It seems that a material number of people commute from Tralee to Dublin, but the CSO know this isn't going to be a daily thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

a65b2cd wrote: »
    I expect they will use Eircodes to capture place of residence, work, and education provided the launch happens in June 2015 as planned. The X/Y coordinates linked to each Eircode will greatly facilitate analyses of travel patterns.

They already use small areas, which are fine, can't see the cost benefit of breaking compatability with existing data or having to pay to use eircodes.

He meant for calculating the distance between two points. Not using the postcodes for aggregating data.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

what? the census is going to ask the address of where you work?
    How many people are going to know the eircode of their work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

when have you last had a conversation in Irish?
    atheist and agnostic as clear choices.

The Census already asks work/school address :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

How many people are going to know the eircode of their work?

The Eircode of where you work can directly be used to small area code your place of work and/or education. Should be a real saving resulting from the introduction of Eircodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Is it even planned for 2016?

Could've sworn it's been delayed until 17 at least. It's not every five years, it's 2 per decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Height and weight.

Advertisement