Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Louis Theroux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭melbite

god some of that is so sad

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimity

I met Louis Theroux in LA last year when he was looking for a Tom Cruise lookalike... makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭shaymus27

I saw one of his shows where he interviewed a middle aged couple in LA (I think) and they were both on drugs. Normal, nice middle aged people.

The woman said she took drugs (Crack I think?) to be able to clean the place she lived.

Her and her husband's lives were so sad, depressing and poor that she couldn't do a clean up without some sort of drugs to help her do it.

Tragic, sad lives of normal, decent people going no-where in life with no hope, basically existing until they die, taking drugs to cope.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

shaymus27 wrote: »
    I saw one of his shows where he interviewed a middle aged couple in LA (I think) and they were both on drugs. Normal, nice middle aged people.

The woman said she took drugs (Crack I think?) to be able to clean the place she lived.

Her and her husband's lives were so sad, depressing and poor that she couldn't do a clean up without some sort of drugs to help her do it.

Tragic, sad lives of normal, decent people going no-where in life with no hope, basically existing until they die, taking drugs to cope.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen on TV.
    I just re-watched that recently. It was actually meth. ("The City Addicted to Crystal Meth"). Very interesting documentary. Like you said, that couple took meth just to live their lives normally and seemed a little in denial about the negative impact it's had on their lives. They had their children taken away from them, iirc.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I just re-watched that recently. It was actually meth. ("The City Addicted to Crystal Meth"). Very interesting documentary. Like you said, that couple took meth just to live their lives normally and seemed a little in denial about the negative impact it's had on their lives. They had their children taken away from them, iirc.

Thanks for that.

What struck me is how ordinary people in the US seem to be struggling so much just to cope with living. If that couple were in Ireland they would have more support from the State and I doubt would ever touch drugs.

Saw another program. I think Louis did it. Ordinary males living under bridges handing out vouchers for night clubs to make a living. Again, such ordinary people living desperately. It was so "normal" for them to be living like that. How can people in the US allow that to happen? Have they no empathy? The scum bags here who beat people up have no respect or dignity compared to those sad people in the US who are living such sad lives , yet get more help and sympathy from the State and PC people here. Don't know how the problems Louis and others uncover in the US can be ignored by people in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thanks for that.

What struck me is how ordinary people in the US seem to be struggling so much just to cope with living. If that couple were in Ireland they would have more support from the State and I doubt would ever touch drugs.

Saw another program. I think Louis did it. Ordinary males living under bridges handing out vouchers for night clubs to make a living. Again, such ordinary people living desperately. It was so "normal" for them to be living like that. How can people in the US allow that to happen? Have they no empathy? The scum bags here who beat people up have no respect or dignity compared to those sad people in the US who are living such sad lives , yet get more help and sympathy from the State and PC people here. Don't know how the problems Louis and others uncover in the US can be ignored by people in the US.

We have it good here.......

How many working hours would it take on minimum wage for a a single parent with 2 children to move out of poverty?
    Ireland..... 8 hours.
    USA........ 50 hours.

Chart here.........

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11205114_10152722852772461_5499713062179765642_n.png?oh=d88211faa15135d8906a46380a1766f8&oe=55DC75FA&__gda__=1439009455_a9104ec41f28f846bce67617950e6a12

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mikom wrote: »
    We have it good here.......

i beg to differ here. a lot of people struggling here but life is relative. im fearing ireland is slowing moving towards an americanised system, i.e. poorer public service system and lower wages. we ve a lot of serious stuff to sort out here

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i beg to differ here. a lot of people struggling here but life is relative. im fearing ireland is slowing moving towards an americanised system, i.e. poorer public service system and lower wages. we ve a lot of serious stuff to sort out here

Agree, only we're moving quickly not slowly.

I still think here is better than the US for now. Social welfare and health is a lot better here but places to live is becoming dire.

The guy that did the documentary about eating fast food for a month did a documentary about working min. wage in the US. He met men working 2 low paid jobs and having no life and not much money to show for working 2 jobs. That was sad also.

Here, men working 2 low paid jobs would be better off on the dole. Please don't interpret this as a go at social welfare. Just saying that besides a huge problem with housing, delays in accessing health services etc. you would be better off being poor in Ireland than the US, for now at least.

Agree, only we're moving quickly not slowly.

I still think here is better than the US for now. Social welfare and health is a lot better here but places to live is becoming dire.

The guy that did the documentary about eating fast food for a month did a documentary about working min. wage in the US. He met men working 2 low paid jobs and having no life and not much money to show for working 2 jobs. That was sad also.

Here, men working 2 low paid jobs would be better off on the dole. Please don't interpret this as a go at social welfare. Just saying that besides a huge problem with housing, delays in accessing health services etc. you would be better off being poor in Ireland than the US, for now at least.

agree with pretty much everything you say. im very worried about our country right now. austerity just has to stop

agree with pretty much everything you say. im very worried about our country right now. austerity just has to stop

When the current govt got in to power I remember a FG politician referring to wages here being uncompetitive and basically implying wages would have to reduce.

If ever wages were uncompetitive in relation to other countries it is in the area of politician's wages. Our no.1 gets more than the US or UK no.1.

The amount of expenses TD's and others on the quango gravy train get is disgusting. As far as i am aware they don't get taxed on these expenses which is why so many are on so many quangos requiring travel.

I saw a guy on tv queueing up for a free bag of food from the monks at merchant's quay. He said he was homeless but during tiger days he owned an expensive car and had employees. Heart breaking really.

The various quangos are an insult to people. The public sector is increasing but only in relation to over-paid quangos while needed public sector workers are not being hired, such as nurses.

Ireland is far more right wing than people realise. Grants to farmers and business while people who can't afford to pay a tv licence will be fined and be hauled to prison if they can't afford to pay the fine.

Louis should do a documentary on how stressful it is for people in Ireland and one about the high wages of quango "workers" and politicians would be great.

• Advertisement

When the current govt got in to power I remember a FG politician referring to wages here being uncompetitive and basically implying wages would have to reduce.

If ever wages were uncompetitive in relation to other countries it is in the area of politician's wages. Our no.1 gets more than the US or UK no.1.

The amount of expenses TD's and others on the quango gravy train get is disgusting. As far as i am aware they don't get taxed on these expenses which is why so many are on so many quangos requiring travel.

I saw a guy on tv queueing up for a free bag of food from the monks at merchant's quay. He said he was homeless but during tiger days he owned an expensive car and had employees. Heart breaking really.

The various quangos are an insult to people. The public sector is increasing but only in relation to over-paid quangos while needed public sector workers are not being hired, such as nurses.

Ireland is far more right wing than people realise. Grants to farmers and business while people who can't afford to pay a tv licence will be fined and be hauled to prison if they can't afford to pay the fine.

Louis should do a documentary on how stressful it is for people in Ireland and one about the high wages of quango "workers" and politicians would be great.

ireland has a set of very complicated problems, of which im not even exactly sure where to begin to fix. it does seem out public services are top heavy and we certainly dont have enough lower graded civil servants such as nurses. nurses arent being paid enough either. im finding it deeply disturbing to watch our public services being slowly privatised. im also shocked to see the amount of people that think this is a great idea. i dont even know where to begin

on a lighter note, looking forward to seeing louis's scientology documentary. hope the use good footage of him. disturbing bunch of people

ireland has a set of very complicated problems, of which im not even exactly sure where to begin to fix. it does seem out public services are top heavy and we certainly dont have enough lower graded civil servants such as nurses. nurses arent being paid enough either. im finding it deeply disturbing to watch our public services being slowly privatised. im also shocked to see the amount of people that think this is a great idea. i dont even know where to begin

on a lighter note, looking forward to seeing louis's scientology documentary. hope the use good footage of him. disturbing bunch of people

Yes, I don't know much about it but those guys will be tough to deal with.

He'll be doing well to get much out of them.

I think he will struggle in that one as they are tough cookies.

Maybe he should interview Tom Cruise's ex, if she isn't bound by some sort of confidentiality agreement she might have some interesting things to say!!!

Yes, I don't know much about it but those guys will be tough to deal with.

He'll be doing well to get much out of them.

I think he will struggle in that one as they are tough cookies.

Maybe he should interview Tom Cruise's ex, if she isn't bound by some sort of confidentiality agreement she might have some interesting things to say!!!

ah yea very slippery people alright. im sure you ve seen the panorama documentaries on scientology?

i find it very disturbing such a cult can exist in this day in age. id nearly class them the same as some of the worst criminals that exist on this planet, how they prey on the vulnerable people in society. discusting.

ah probably impossible to do so. she d probably be sued to within an inch of her life. oj simpson showed me that if you're rich in america, you can get away with murder. these people are probably untouchable legally.

ah yea very slippery people alright. im sure you ve seen the panorama documentaries on scientology?

i find it very disturbing such a cult can exist in this day in age. id nearly class them the same as some of the worst criminals that exist on this planet, how they prey on the vulnerable people in society. discusting.

ah probably impossible to do so. she d probably be sued to within an inch of her life. oj simpson showed me that if you're rich in america, you can get away with murder. these people are probably untouchable legally.

I heard an English guy on Irish radio talk about his dealings with them and slippery understates these guys. It seems you have to keep buying your way past different levels. Where ever people stand to lose money you can be sure of a battle.

Saw Derren Browne do a show in the US exposing religious faith heelers and security with guns appeared whenever he went near anything owned by the religious churches over there when no-one was around. Scary.

I saw a tiny part of one of Louis's shows about dogs in the US. I think it was L.A. I heard a woman worker at one of the shelters say that to cope with what the workers in the shelter have to deal with that most of them were on prozac.

Did I imagine that or mis-hear that??????????????????????????????????

Don't know if you saw the show but it shows how much some people actually care in the US about animals. It's awful they have to medicate to cope with what they see and deal with.

I've been interested in Scientology for a long time and follow the internal news relatively closely so I'm looking forward to seeing what Louis does with his doc on it. (Whether it will be a kind of general one like HBO's recent "Going Clear" or if it will be a little deeper).

I actually met my first Scientologists just yesterday. (Galway not being a hub for them). There was a group of them over from England touring the cities with a brass band in tow. But of course they weren't there as Scientologists, they were there as an anti-drug organisation. It took a lot of wheedling to get them to admit they were Scientologists. Talking to them even a little gave me an incredible amount of sympathy for John Sweeney and a taste of the frustration he must have faced making his Panorama docs on them.

They used to stop people in the street outside their place in Middle Abbey street in Dublin. Don't know if they're still there or doing that.

They would ask people do they ever feel lonely, down etc. and try get them to go in.

A guy I know did it for the crack and bought a book from them.

It had a certain amount of popular psychology which of course made sense.

It's a hook to get you interested.

Louis is going to have his work cut - out dealing with them. If there are interviews they will be on their terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I've been interested in Scientology for a long time and follow the internal news relatively closely so I'm looking forward to seeing what Louis does with his doc on it. (Whether it will be a kind of general one like HBO's recent "Going Clear" or if it will be a little deeper).

I actually met my first Scientologists just yesterday. (Galway not being a hub for them). There was a group of them over from England touring the cities with a brass band in tow. But of course they weren't there as Scientologists, they were there as an anti-drug organisation. It took a lot of wheedling to get them to admit they were Scientologists. Talking to them even a little gave me an incredible amount of sympathy for John Sweeney and a taste of the frustration he must have faced making his Panorama docs on them.

I've a feeling those exact guys were in Limerick a few days ago too. By looking, you'd never know. They have various names on their banner, but nothing like that.

i think people should be warned about this group of people in order to protect the vulnerable of our society. there are many vulnerable people in ireland at the moment due to the obvious, all desperate for any bit of hope. scientologist disgust me

I've a feeling those exact guys were in Limerick a few days ago too. By looking, you'd never know. They have various names on their banner, but nothing like that.
    The band is called the "Jive aces" and the group was called the "Foundation for a Drug-Free World".

As you said, nothing to indicate they were COS, I just had a feeling about them and confirmed it with a bit of googling. It was mostly the fact that they were filming the crowd with a very expensive camera. I just thought to myself, "the last time I saw something like that was all those Scientology docs". The person I spoke to was furious I brought it up and asked me if I put the "Church of Ireland" on everything I did. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Louis interviewing people with personality disorders/psychiatric disorders.
    Something that always interests me.
    The interface between personality and psych illness.
    Love Louis's style of interviewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Louis interviewing people with personality disorders/psychiatric disorders.
    Something that always interests me.
    The interface between personality and psych illness.
    Love Louis's style of interviewing.

Watched this last week and last night . Very interesting and quite sad at times I thought . The Hospitals/facilities featured seemed to be nice , well run bright places , at least the association of Psychiatric Hospitals being dark , dreary scary buildings have moved on.

What hit me most was it could be any of us that could have a mental illness , and to look at a person you would never know. The people featured had varying degrees of severity in their illness's .

Worth watching I think , Louis was very good interviewing, asking was it ok to talk about certain things.

The comedian, Richard Herring, did a pretty good interview with Louis that people might find interesting. Even if he ended up getting interviewed by Louis a bit.

Louis has incredibly good comic timing, especially when avoiding questions he doesn't want to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He has recently filmed an episode in Ireland, not 100% sure of the content but i think it is gonna be about Travellers..

Going back a long time now (5 years) but the reason this one never came to light is because Louis said he and his crew were never able to build up enough trust with the families to get enough interesting access.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Article written by Louis about his upcoming Scientology movie.

It's filmed in a way that you "wouldn't" expect, but I suppose it's an interesting concept.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/14/louis-theroux-my-scientology-movie-i-felt-like-id-been-blooded?CMP=fb_gu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Whens My Scientology Movie out?
    Heard nothing since the London Film Festival screening :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

aphex™ wrote: »
    Whens My Scientology Movie out?
    Heard nothing since the London Film Festival screening :(

The London screening has been and gone but no sign of a general release yet sadly. Presume it's the bastard Church of Scientology legal department holding it up. Would explain why it's been so quiet.

The title reminds me of 'My Bookie Wook' :D

My Scientology movie clip here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

That last part had me laughing!

Are you making a documentary as well?

Hopefully this will be released!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hope that this will actually get released is rising!! :eek:

Advertisement