Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cisco EPC2425 modem/router help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Using a Linksys WRT610n with the UPC Cisco EPC2425 (wirless disabled). Works a treat. No dropping from the 5 or 6 devices I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

I just logged into the page on 192.168.100.1 and I can see that it now has an option for bridge mode.
    This wasn't there before, I've enabled it and now my PC has a real internet address.
    So this means its now possible to use the 2425 as a modem only if you don't like the router/wireless in it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

bricks wrote: »
    I just logged into the page on 192.168.100.1 and I can see that it now has an option for bridge mode.
    This wasn't there before, I've enabled it and now my PC has a real internet address.
    So this means its now possible to use the 2425 as a modem only if you don't like the router/wireless in it.

What date is on the firmware out of interest?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jonathan wrote: »
    What date is on the firmware out of interest?

Mine had Aug 09 and allows for bridging under the gateway mode option. It's a lot better this way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Where do you see the date? I can't find it.

All i see is:
    Firmware Name
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc.bin

Software Revision
    epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

gurramok wrote: »

All i see is:
    Firmware Name

Software Revision

I cant find the date either but I have the same revision as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

gurramok wrote: »

All i see is:
    Firmware Name

Software Revision

I'm guessing 100301 = 2010 March 01

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It must be new so. It wasn't there when I got UPC back to swap out the Cisco for the Scientific Atlanta a week after install.. That was mid Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

What an absolute pos this modem is. I have been trying to configure my network around it and it is nothing but headaches. I finally setup an old wrt54gs router as a wireless repeater to extend the usable range of the network. Today the EPC decided to reset itself back to the UPC settings. Changed the SSID, wireless channel etc. It must have been done remotely. My gf had to use the wired connection until I got home and promptly uploaded the backed-up config file. Anyone else seen this before?

The next time a UPC rep comes to the door he's going to get an earful

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Diarmuid wrote: »
    What an absolute pos this modem is. I have been trying to configure my network around it and it is nothing but headaches. I finally setup an old wrt54gs router as a wireless repeater to extend the usable range of the network. Today the EPC decided to reset itself back to the UPC settings. Changed the SSID, wireless channel etc. It must have been done remotely. My gf had to use the wired connection until I got home and promptly uploaded the backed-up config file. Anyone else seen this before?

So much as a power cycle is enough to reset them back to a lot of default settings.

• Advertisement

Diarmuid wrote: »

Yup. I had mine reset twice the day I got it. Needless to say, I kept at them until they changed me to the old router.

bricks wrote: »

Has anyone set the EPC2425 to bridge mode only and used a separate wireless router to do the routing successfully?

Ardmore3 wrote: »
    Has anyone set the EPC2425 to bridge mode only and used a separate wireless router to do the routing successfully?

Yes, it's what I'm doing now.

Spear wrote: »
    Yes, it's what I'm doing now.

So did you just connect the 2425 directly to your main PC, make the change to "Bridge" mode, reboot and then reconnect the now "bridge" modem to your other router and that router then to your main PC......And Bobs your Uncle??

So did you just connect the 2425 directly to your main PC, make the change to "Bridge" mode, reboot and then reconnect the now "bridge" modem to your other router and that router then to your main PC......And Bobs your Uncle??

In my case it's a Linksys WRT350N. Set Cisco to bridge mode (after which it responds on 192.168.100.1 instead). Ethernet from normal port on Cisco to the Linksys WAN port. Linksys gets everything by DHCP and does all routing/port forwarding.

Is it a proper bridge mode though? If you connect your pc directly to the cisco router, and the linksys on the other, you should get two external UPC IP addresses.

Is it a proper bridge mode though? If you connect your pc directly to the cisco router, and the linksys on the other, you should get two external UPC IP addresses.

Haven't tried. I can experiment tonight.

Haven't tried. I can experiment tonight.

Thanks. I have the scientific atlanta and a linksys 54g running ddwrt. By changing the internal switch configuration, I have one lan side port assigned to the wan side switch. That means I have a second IP address assigned by the UPC dhcp server if needs be.

If UPC have enabled a proper bridge mode then people can just solve their problems by buying a decent router. :)

Thanks. I have the scientific atlanta and a linksys 54g running ddwrt. By changing the internal switch configuration, I have one lan side port assigned to the wan side switch. That means I have a second IP address assigned by the UPC dhcp server if needs be.

If UPC have enabled a proper bridge mode then people can just solve their problems by buying a decent router. :)

It quite happily gave out another public IP to another simultaneous device.

It quite happily gave out another public IP to another simultaneous device.
    Excellent. Lets see how quickly we can deplete their dhcp pool :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stelydave

I am also unable to access the setup area of this modem. I gave it a new password when sorting out the port forwards, but it is not accepting it now.

I think the new update has changed something in the setup (& password?) as I cannot access my PC with VNC through the internet now, only through the local network.

I am considering holding the reset button down for 10 seconds for a "factory reset". Does anyone know if this will reset it, keeping UPC settings or erase everything?

Would be great to fix the VNC, but would be in trouble without the net tomorrow! Thanks

Setup the bridge mode on the 2425 modem last night, rebooted the modem and my linksys router and it works perfectly. All routing activities now controlled fully by the Linksys router. It could be my imagination but the wireless connections now seem more responsive (quicker). And was able to torrent a file (legal) at 3.4Mb/s on average last night to my wired PC! Vroom, Vroom!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

Setup the bridge mode on the 2425 modem last night, rebooted the modem and my linksys router and it works perfectly. All routing activities now controlled fully by the Linksys router. It could be my imagination but the wireless connections now seem more responsive (quicker). And was able to torrent a file (legal) at 3.4Mb/s on average last night to my wired PC! Vroom, Vroom!:D

How do I set this up? Is it difficult... I want to use my own wireless router rather than the cisco one supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    im now even more upset with the Cisco crap. it wont allow streaming from my PC to my xbox. tried it for the first time today since having the modem installed, and my xbox cant pick up the pc, or vice versa. tried every software thing i could find, to no avail. of course, im pretty sure the port is blocked, but i cant open it...

anyone using this same model that got streaming working?

Did you enable Upnp on the router. It is set default off.

Xbox must use windows media player to stream but you probably have that set up. Allow the windows media player network service on your PC firewall. Set up your PC firewall to allow the IP range of the router and new IP of xbox. You will have to re-find the xbox in windows media player even if service was previously allowed using another provider. I prefer to give my xbox a fixed IP in the setup on xbox itself. You can then open all the ports for that IP on your router for online play and streaming. Or just tell the router the IP address of xbox is in the DMZ which is an option on the router also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have either linked to an old post or have mixed up threads here. Apologies

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In my case it's a Linksys WRT350N. Set Cisco to bridge mode (after which it responds on 192.168.100.1 instead). Ethernet from normal port on Cisco to the Linksys WAN port. Linksys gets everything by DHCP and does all routing/port forwarding.

Holy shít, I think I love you. I've been having so many stupid problems with my cisco router. It won't save my dyndns settings, it likes to change back to defaults, it likes deleting my port forwarding settings. The one in my parents house just doesn't seem to like my brothers laptop and wouldn't let it connect over wireless. I sorted that last one but it's still a little iffy (works fine on mine though, boggles the mind).

I have my project for tomorrow. If it works I may just have to marry you. You had better be a hot babe with stupidly big tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

I was very excited to try this feature when I saw it today but excitement turned to dismay very quickly. When I turned on bridge mode, my laptop got an IP in the 192.168.100.x range, not a proper UPC WAN IP. I could not get it to connect to the internet, and at times my router configuration page would suddenly become inaccessible for no reason.

Anyone have a similar experience?

MickeyD wrote: »
    I was very excited to try this feature when I saw it today but excitement turned to dismay very quickly. When I turned on bridge mode, my laptop got an IP in the 192.168.100.x range, not a proper UPC WAN IP. I could not get it to connect to the internet, and at times my router configuration page would suddenly become inaccessible for no reason.

Anyone have a similar experience?

If you log into the bridged modem on 192.168.100.1, it should show almost no options now, gateway mode and wireless only. There's no options for a DHCP service/pool in that state, so I'm not sure how it managed to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Aye, that's all it showed and I disabled the wireless as well. Same thing happened when i connected to the WAN port of my linksys router.

Software rev epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc

• Advertisement

MickeyD wrote: »
    Aye, that's all it showed and I disabled the wireless as well. Same thing happened when i connected to the WAN port of my linksys router.

Software rev epc2425-E10-5-v202r12812-100301cs_upc

Weird, that's the same revision as mine. I can only suggest power cycling it, returning to normal mode and trying again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement